Europe 2021

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PDQ Mobile

Re: Europe 2021

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Psamathe wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 6:09pm
Bogawski wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 5:27pm Quite agree, there are lots of people that do not have a "smart phone", me included, and I don't want one. However I may have to purchase one just for travelling abroad. Makes you feel a bit 2nd class.
Or you can just print out the code on a piece of paper.

Ian
You can do that without without a smart phone or a computer?
In a public library perhaps?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 7:23pm
Bogawski wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 5:27pm Quite agree, there are lots of people that do not have a "smart phone", me included, and I don't want one. However I may have to purchase one just for travelling abroad. Makes you feel a bit 2nd class.

Ian
OP probably has access to a computer given he/she has been posting to this forum.

Ian
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Psamathe wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 7:47pm

Ian
OP probably has access to a computer given he/she has been posting to this forum.

Ian
Hmm.
Not possible from a public library then?

Writing something in this simple txt box is a rather different "skill" surely.
I can just about manage that, but I had to practice (a lot!).
I detest the keypad ever more too!

My old iphone 4 won't run the NHS app.
Otherwise it does mostly what I want and doesn't do things I don't want! Which is a plus and ever more rare!

I am with Bogawski, why should he be coerced into getting a "smart" phone if he doesn't want one?
And for something so unreiiable and unneccessary as this.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 8:11pm
Psamathe wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 7:47pm

Ian
Hmm.
Not possible from a public library then?

Writing something in this simple txt box is a rather different "skill" surely.
I can just about manage that, but I had to practice (a lot!).
I detest the keypad ever more too!

My old iphone 4 won't run the NHS app.
Otherwise it does mostly what I want and doesn't do things I don't want! Which is a plus and ever more rare!

I am with Bogawski, why should he be coerced into getting a "smart" phone if he doesn't want one?
And for something so unreiiable and unneccessary as this.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ss-letter/
And they'll send you the "pass" in the post. I've never used this service so I've no idea what they'll ask but as they post you the paperwork and probably don't give you access to all your medical records online the security is maybe not as stringent as registering for the phone app (which does a lot lot more than just the Covid Pass stuff.

Ian
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I am never sure what I have!!
I have a paper stating,when, where, type of vaccine and batch numbers. And my details plus a long bar code and a tiny square code.
The Welsh NHS sent it on request. It has been accepted at French (EU) entry.

It is all I have and I really like it. Folds into my Passport a treat.
Simple and effective.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sadly, you are becoming a second class citizen if you don't have a smartphone. I just flew to Portugal and it was on the go all the time (including writing this). Personally, I absolutely love it. It would have been considered something out of sci fi when I was a kid.

Nonetheless, I printed my docs before I flew. Makes things much quicker at checks. Only problem is I don't have a printer - why as I very rarely use one - so it was a trip to the library for me.
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

I have the vaccine print out confirmation and the Declaration du honeur no problem. My gripe is if I go to the Continent on tour and don't know when I'm coming back, who is going to arrange the test upon return and also complete the PLF? If I do know when returning it is just the PLF.
Problem is the authorities just assume everyone has a device and is conversant with it, no consideration for those who don't, and that applies to our whole way of living now. Rant over I'm just a Luddite.
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

Ok, in the news today:- "Fully vaccinated people returning to UK no longer need PCR test, Upload photograph of their lateral flow test and that will be sufficient" Sorry how do I upload a photo?
Got to be wide open to abuse as well. Finished.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bogawski wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 9:16am Ok, in the news today:- "Fully vaccinated people returning to UK no longer need PCR test, Upload photograph of their lateral flow test and that will be sufficient" Sorry how do I upload a photo?
"Lateral flow tests to be introduced for vaccinated international arrivals":
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/late ... l-arrivals

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Bogawski.
This has come up on TripAdvisor.

People are ordering online once they know their return date and having it delivered to home or friend. You need the reference for your inbound locator form.

You can use internet cafe or maybe a hotel, library or tourist office can help. I'm travelling (on bike) now with no home flight or test. I'll sort it all out when I want to go home.
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

Thanks Simon, lucky you, have a nice trip. I would be interested to know how the return journey goes, I take it you are returning by ferry. All best.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Bogawski wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 9:00am I have the vaccine print out confirmation and the Declaration du honeur no problem. My gripe is if I go to the Continent on tour and don't know when I'm coming back, who is going to arrange the test upon return and also complete the PLF? If I do know when returning it is just the PLF.
Problem is the authorities just assume everyone has a device and is conversant with it, no consideration for those who don't, and that applies to our whole way of living now. Rant over I'm just a Luddite.
This is a problem I had to deal with recently.
I had an abortive attempt to download the "app" and had to settle for the printed form - which was generally accepted without great difficulty.
I did hear that the smartphone "app" failed at one point and some people hadn't bothered with the paper copy - that created a problem for them.
I got my son to do the PLF for me and he e-mailed them to me - on my smartphone :? - my partner doesn't do online stuff and only has a simple phone so we had to use my e-mail address for both of us.
I know that there are people who just gave up - perhaps that was the government's intent.
The whole system seems to discriminate against those not familiar with the online world - this is becoming a serious problem for some of the population in many ways,
And sometimes the whole system just "falls over" which gives everybody a problem.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Keeping it all online generally makes it much cheaper. Sad but true.

Only a few techies and a server. Imagine the overheads if everyone had to ring up and log their details. This is definitely the way things are going.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 4:53pm Keeping it all online generally makes it much cheaper. Sad but true.

Only a few techies and a server. Imagine the overheads if everyone had to ring up and log their details. This is definitely the way things are going.
Although as it's a service you pay for, I wonder if there is/ought to be a phone line for organising it all except you pay a bit more for the test/service. And not with the LFT being used you could be allowed to present your LFT thingy on check-in (and they could photograph it for records/sending-in); after all for Pet Passport ferry check-in used to be the only people who verified the vaccination, treatment & paperwork (making records and supposedly sending them to customs in UK). Maybe you can (I've not investigated) but, although I'm quite technically oriented I do thing it very important all the procedures etc. need a not online means (even if this is transport check-in people doing the online stuff).

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I thought he was talking about the Passenger Locator Form, which is free. You pay for the Lateral Flow Test, but not to the Govt. Maybe they should tax a bit of that windfall profit (oh no, it's usually their mates).

It would be a useful debate if there should always be a manual option, but who is going to pay. We know the way these things go everyone wants equality, until asked to pay.