Europe 2021

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: Europe 2021

Post by willem jongman »

The infection rate in the Netherlands has been more or less flat in recent weeks (now at about 125 per million), and so are hospital admissions. By now nearly all infections are among people who were not yet (fully) vaccinated. Vaccination is progressing steadily (also among the 12-17 year olds), but by now consists mostly of second doses. The number of people who have had at least one dose does not go up much anymore, and the number of people who are not yet fully vaccinated is rapidly declining. Surveys show an increasing willingness to be vaccinated (91% by now) but actual behaviour is lagging a bit behind this.
There is quite a bit of public discussion about restricting access to various places and events for people who refuse to be vaccinated, but the government tries to avoid this for now. However, in a month from now the Digital Covid Certificate will be demanded for more and more things. Internal EU travel continues to demand either documented vaccination or a recent test. And this is not for nothing: one in five of the infections of the last two weeks were with people who had returned from Spain, Greece or France.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"British tourists face difficulties in proving their vaccine status in Europe following a delay in linking the NHS Covid pass to the EU’s system due to gaps in the British government’s application to Brussels."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -countries

Includes some details for specific countries.

Jonathan
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Thanks. France looks ok from the info.

Has anyone loaded their qr code onto the french app btw? Do I need to print it from my phone and then scan it with my phone or is there a shortcut?

Need to remind myself what I need for Switzerland.

My trip looks likely to be happening now- I thought it was unlikely when I booked. Biggest risk is now catching COVID as rates are high in the south west at the moment especially in the teens (i have a 15 and 17 yr old) and that wrecking things.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

MrsHJ wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 1:17pmHas anyone loaded their qr code onto the french app btw? Do I need to print it from my phone and then scan it with my phone or is there a shortcut?
Yes, there are reports of successful scanning of the QR code.

But I'd also carry a printed copy when crossing borders.

Jonathan
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

It would have helped if the UK had done this earlier, but it is good news that we are moving in the right direction. As for infection rates, those in the Netherlands remain stable around 125-135 per million, and deaths are around 0.3 per million. The vast majority of infections and deaths are among those unvaccinated. There are now 1.8 million people over the age of 12 who have not yet had their first jab. Almost everyone else has also had the second jab. My personal view is that we should be stricter with the imposition of the covid check app, as that will almost certainly encourage many of the remaining unvaccinated to get a jab after all.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

We’ve decided to have a free for all. Watch for sky rocketing rates once the schools go back in early September, maybe some kids ending up seriously ill and then a sudden backtracking on vaccinating them.
mjr

Post by mjr »

MrsHJ wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 2:33pm We’ve decided to have a free for all. Watch for sky rocketing rates once the schools go back in early September, maybe some kids ending up seriously ill and then a sudden backtracking on vaccinating them.
Who is "we" there, please?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ossie

Post by ossie »

mjr wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 3:05pm
MrsHJ wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 2:33pm We’ve decided to have a free for all. Watch for sky rocketing rates once the schools go back in early September, maybe some kids ending up seriously ill and then a sudden backtracking on vaccinating them.
Dartmouth it appears. Lovely place but clearly living life on the edge :wink:
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

ossie wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 8:14pm
mjr wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 3:05pm
Dartmouth it appears. Lovely place but clearly living life on the edge :wink:
I meant England actually (as wales, Scotland, NI have different rules) but the Devon and Cornwall is packed and has really high COVID rates at the moment. Looking forward to being out of the country.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

As a fellow Devonshire type like Mrshj, I am tempted to start a campaign called Devon is Crap. This will aim to deter tourists from arriving in droves, bringing the infection with them and blocking NHS access. I’m joking but the rates down here have shot up and the NHS is over run. My local hospital normally sees 250 people a day. It was 450 two weeks ago. And why they let Boardmasters happen…

Still I had a lovely tour in the Outer Hebrides- about as far away as possible.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 7:19am As a fellow Devonshire type like Mrshj, I am tempted to start a campaign called Devon is Crap. This will aim to deter tourists from arriving in droves, bringing the infection with them and blocking NHS access. I’m joking but the rates down here have shot up and the NHS is over run. My local hospital normally sees 250 people a day. It was 450 two weeks ago. And why they let Boardmasters happen…

What about those tourists spreading the infection in the Outer Hebrides :shock:
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 7:19am As a fellow Devonshire type like Mrshj, I am tempted to start a campaign called Devon is Crap. This will aim to deter tourists from arriving in droves, bringing the infection with them and blocking NHS access. I’m joking but the rates down here have shot up and the NHS is over run. My local hospital normally sees 250 people a day. It was 450 two weeks ago. And why they let Boardmasters happen…

I’ve been trying to get that campaign off the ground for a while.

I’ve now upgraded my flights from bare bookings to include bikes and bags, got the travel insurance sorted (sports cover direct), got my first two nights prebooked. Now sorting COVID tests and trains, and aiming not to get COVID for the next fortnight (which could be a challenge).
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

ANTONISH wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 9:23am What about those tourists spreading the infection in the Outer Hebrides :shock:
Good point. Not me though. I have to test very regularly and am, luckily, COVID free. Others though…
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

So logistics:

For travel to Switzerland
- no test
-complete passenger locator form
-nhs app ok to access country

In Switzerland-
- I don’t think I need evidence of vaccination to eat or travel by train but I will print my nhs proof of vaccination

Cycle into France:
I don’t think I need a test etc

Travel in France:
Get french app and upload uk pass thingie before travel then use for restaurants and trains.

Home to UK
-travel locator pass
-fit to travel test which can be the basic one
-day 2 pcr test

Phew- let me know if you think I’ve missed anything
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 7:19am As a fellow Devonshire type like Mrshj, I am tempted to start a campaign called Devon is Crap.
:lol: How about "Go Away Grockle"? isn't that what invaders are called? :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom