Europe 2021

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jdsk

Re: Europe July.????

Post by Jdsk »

"JCVI statement on COVID-19 vaccination of children and young people aged 12 to 17 years: 15 July 2021"
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -july-2021

"The COVID-19 immunisation programme has been highly successful, with rapid delivery and high uptake."

"With regards to a COVID-19 immunisation programme for children and young people... "

"A successful adult COVID-19 immunisation programme... "

It's common usage.

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

It's very much the minority term. Do a search e.g.
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... n&start=15

That shows a few quotes from Gov docs, but almost no posts from Our Fellow Honourable Forum Members in the whole of 2021.

PLENTY of jabs, vaccinations ...

Hence it caught my eye when a poster wanted to emphasise the benefits of jabs/imminusations -vs- not giving the jabs.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

If either of you think the correctness of my observation is going to change the world - and is thus worthy of this bandwidth - do please tell me why, as I would like to know how I struck such a nerve!
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

mattheus wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 4:20pm
roubaixtuesday wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 3:06pm
mattheus wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 12:41pm
Well they're not immune, are they? And nobody has received an invite for an immunity jab, have they?
Next time if you could preface with [pointless semantic pedantry incoming], that would help, so I could completely ignore the gnomism.

Immunity is a gradation not a binary. Almost no vaccine confers total immunity, but nevertheless, "immunisation" is a commonly used synonym.
Nevertheless, the common meaning of that word is what Google showed me, hence my copying it into this thread.

Sorry if you find that pointless, but most would agree that word choice matters; different synonyms rarely create identical impacts.
_______________________-
I've now provided more than sufficient explanation for my observation: if you and/or jdsk persist in claiming miscomprehension, I don't think further posts will persuade you.
I comprehend perfectly, thank you.

My request was merely that if you want a dialogue, starting with something less gnomic would help.

If you want a pointless, pedantic argument, on the other hand, you've picked an excellent way to go about it.

With thanks to jdsk for having infinitely more patience in their responses than I'm afraid I do.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I think that it was people including me trying to understand the distinction that you were drawing when you made the cryptic comment about roubaixtuesday's usage.

Crossed post: SNAP!

Jonathan
ossie

Post by ossie »

A suggestion to the moderators. Can you reopen the Brexit thread please so a few of the above posters can get back to their point scoring in the usual place.

It's tedious.
ossie

Post by ossie »

mattheus wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 11:33am I think the Euro is at a 1-yr low against the pound, so good time to pop over the channel :-)
I'm hoping to as soon as the decision on France has changed. Summer 2015 was a good year to tour Europe in relation to exchange rates, cheap touring I recall.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I am not sure what the recent exchanges had to do with Brexit, but maybe I am just not that bright.
mjr

Post by mjr »

willem jongman wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 6:33pm I am not sure what the recent exchanges had to do with Brexit, but maybe I am just not that bright.
My fault! I referred to the pre-referendum exchange rate just to suggest that €1.17 really is not high... I did not mention the B word, let alone try to score points with it, but for some on here, everything is about Brexit now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ossie

Post by ossie »

mjr wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 6:39pm
willem jongman wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 6:33pm I am not sure what the recent exchanges had to do with Brexit, but maybe I am just not that bright.
My fault! I referred to the pre-referendum exchange rate just to suggest that €1.17 really is not high... I did not mention the B word, let alone try to score points with it, but for some on here, everything is about Brexit now.
It wasn't aimed at you mjr strangely enough, you're a tourer who adds plenty of value to the touring forum even if I don't agree with some content elsewhere. Oh hang on "Most active topic:** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit' " :wink:

Spot on about exchange rates however.

In other news we need a proof of vaccination to access French campsites which may have a pool - no size given and does anyone know if we can use our NHS app.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ossie wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 6:52pm In other news we need a proof of vaccination to access French campsites which may have a pool - no size given and does anyone know if we can use our NHS app.
Well, gov.UK has just announced that it will accept the EU covid green pass, so I think it is very likely that France will reciprocate as long as the UK hasn't botched its equivalent app/web-app/letter and made it incompatible.

I read somewhere that you can import a UK vaccination certificate into France's "Tous Anti-Covid" app already but I have not tried to do it yet: https://uk.ambafrance.org/NHS-COVID-Pas ... -in-France
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ossie

Post by ossie »

mjr wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 7:04pm
ossie wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 6:52pm In other news we need a proof of vaccination to access French campsites which may have a pool - no size given and does anyone know if we can use our NHS app.
Well, gov.UK has just announced that it will accept the EU covid green pass, so I think it is very likely that France will reciprocate as long as the UK hasn't botched its equivalent app/web-app/letter and made it incompatible.

I read somewhere that you can import a UK vaccination certificate into France's "Tous Anti-Covid" app already but I have not tried to do it yet: https://uk.ambafrance.org/NHS-COVID-Pas ... -in-France
Many thanks for that, will look at the French app. It appears to be another tentative step in the right direction for those of us hoping to salvage a foreign tour this year.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mjr wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 7:04pmI read somewhere that you can import a UK vaccination certificate into France's "Tous Anti-Covid" app already but I have not tried to do it yet: https://uk.ambafrance.org/NHS-COVID-Pas ... -in-France
Yes:
viewtopic.php?p=1624100#p1624100

Jonathan
scragend

Post by scragend »

I can confirm that this works. I doubt it will be of any use to me, but I do have it!
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

The UK announced it would accept EU Covid Green passes, except those issued by France.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”