Europe 2021

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Europe July.????

Post by mjr »

st599_uk wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 4:53pm
mjr wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 9:34am
st599_uk wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 9:23am The UK announced it would accept EU Covid Green passes, except those issued by France.
Do you have a link to that, please? I did not find it on www.gov.uk/coronavirus
https://www.france24.com/en/uk/20210728 ... from-eu-us
Thank you but that says "Separate rules will continue to apply for those arriving from France" rather than the UK not accepting French-issued green passes, but of course that isn't much of a difference except for a few people vaccinated in France who have been in another country for 10 days before travelling.

I've also heard similar on the BBC since and now https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quar ... in-england has been updated.

France has understandably protested: https://www.france24.com/en/video/20210 ... ntine-rule
but for now, it seems that France is not retaliating: https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rule ... and-the-UK
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I think the UK govenment is probably trying to deny that they screwed up with their geography of France/Reunion. Just pretending that there was a real epidemiological reason for their original decision. At least, I fail to see one.
ossie

Post by ossie »

willem jongman wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 8:18pm I think the UK govenment is probably trying to deny that they screwed up with their geography of France/Reunion. Just pretending that there was a real epidemiological reason for their original decision. At least, I fail to see one.
Too simplistic. Do we know French entry requirements from their colonies, in this case Reunion ?
The UK has had Mauritius (next door to Reunion) on the red list for an eternity. The link for both being South Africa which serves both countries in relation to imports and travel.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ossie wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 9:10pm
willem jongman wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 8:18pm I think the UK govenment is probably trying to deny that they screwed up with their geography of France/Reunion. Just pretending that there was a real epidemiological reason for their original decision. At least, I fail to see one.
Too simplistic. Do we know French entry requirements from their colonies, in this case Reunion ?
The UK has had Mauritius (next door to Reunion) on the red list for an eternity. The link for both being South Africa.
You can only travel between Reunion and France if you have a "compelling reason" and non-vaccinated people have to isolate on arrival:
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualite ... -Outre-Mer
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ossie wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 9:10pm
The UK has had Mauritius (next door to Reunion) on the red list for an eternity. The link for both being South Africa which serves both countries in relation to imports and travel.
Screenshot 2021-07-30 at 09.22.43.png
Screenshot 2021-07-30 at 09.23.17.png

https://osr.statisticsauthority.gov.uk/ ... o-england/

includes:

"On 16 July, Government announced that the quarantine requirements for France were changed “following the persistent presence of cases in France of the Beta variant, which was first identified in South Africa”. It is our expectation that statistics and data which support decisions should be made available in an accessible form alongside, or as soon as possible after, any statement. In this case, while the data were publicly available, we do not consider that they were easy to find or clear."

Jonathan
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Regardless of vaccination certificates, green/amber/amber+/red zones, etc etc.... I'm just wondering whether we British would be welcome in Europe at the moment , since we have such high covid rates here. Even if you can get into a country easily, using you app or whatever, will the locals in bars/restuarants/campsites take easily to an influx of Brits? Just wondering if anyone here has any experience of that recently.

July is nearly over now, perhaps the thread title needs changing....
Chris F, Cornwall
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Indeed. Irrespective of what the UK government allows, the Netherlands demand not only full vaccination for travellers from the UK but also a pcr test plus quarantine. So realistically, forget it. I did not check but I expect the same applies to Germany.
mjr

Post by mjr »

willem jongman wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 5:52pm Indeed. Irrespective of what the UK government allows, the Netherlands demand not only full vaccination for travellers from the UK but also a pcr test plus quarantine. So realistically, forget it. I did not check but I expect the same applies to Germany.
1. Does that change on 8 August?
2. Could we just enter from Belgium instead, as fully-vaccinated people are not banned from entering the EU and NL doesn't seem to be restricting most travellers from inside the EU any more?
3. Even if the above two are "no", isn't it a bit pointless because NL is in a similar place to the UK? NL is about 300 cases/m and falling, while UK peaked later and is 400 cases/m and falling, both by about 40% a week. UK is 99% Delta and NL is 93% Delta. (Germany is 30 cases/m and rising, while France is 300 cases/m and rising, both still only low 80s% Delta.)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

willem jongman wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 5:52pm Indeed. Irrespective of what the UK government allows, the Netherlands demand not only full vaccination for travellers from the UK but also a pcr test plus quarantine. So realistically, forget it. I did not check but I expect the same applies to Germany.
Rightly or wrongly most countries in Southern Europe ie the main traditional holiday destinations are just double jabbed plus a pcr test at the moment.

I’ve been keeping an eye on Switzerland and France from for Rhône trip in September. Everything crossed.

Edit: here is the link to the travel check thingie from the Swiss embassy which suggests I might not need a test if fully vaccinated (I’ll keep an eye in that I thought I did need a test). https://travelcheck.admin.ch/home

Edit here is something similar for France (again I haven’t verified). https://uk.ambafrance.org/COVID-19-rule ... and-the-UK

Sounds like getting back into the UK is going to be more complex test wise than flying to Geneva and then cycling into France. If I have to quarantine so be it- I suspect the rules will have changed by then and it will be worth it anyway for a couple of weeks of french food!
scragend

Post by scragend »

mjr wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 6:22pm 1. Does that change on 8 August?
2. Could we just enter from Belgium instead, as fully-vaccinated people are not banned from entering the EU and NL doesn't seem to be restricting most travellers from inside the EU any more?
3. Even if the above two are "no", isn't it a bit pointless because NL is in a similar place to the UK? NL is about 300 cases/m and falling, while UK peaked later and is 400 cases/m and falling, both by about 40% a week. UK is 99% Delta and NL is 93% Delta. (Germany is 30 cases/m and rising, while France is 300 cases/m and rising, both still only low 80s% Delta.)
This is something that I was trying to find out, and in the end more or less gave up.

1. I haven't seen anything to say that the Netherlands' stance on arrivals from the UK will change on 8th August, just in terms of from the rest of the EU.
2. I would like to know this! I have a trip booked to the Netherlands (ferry Harwich-Hoek) but I could change it to Dunkerque and then make my way up from there if this was allowed. I would have thought that NL would say something along the lines of "if you've been in the UK in the last 10 days then you still need to quarantine", but I haven't seen anywhere where it says that. Seems to be a massive loophole if you can just enter by land from Belgium instead.

On this page :
https://www.government.nl/latest/news/2 ... -within-eu
it says
To avoid people bringing the coronavirus home, as of 8 August 2021 travellers aged 12 and older need to show a COVID certificate if they are returning to the Netherlands from an EU country that has been designated as yellow. People who have been fully vaccinated or who have recovered from a coronavirus infection can show this using the CoronaCheck app. Other travellers must get tested abroad no more than 48 hours (PCR test) or 24 hours (antigen test) before returning to the Netherlands. They may only enter the Netherlands with a negative test result.
I don't think UK residents would be able to use the CoronaCheck app (I did try but it wanted some kind of Dutch ID number which I don't have).

I would be interested to know whether my trip is still possible, although in the end I will probably have to err on the safe side and not go. I wouldn't want to end up stuck in quarantine, or fined, or something.

3. Well, quite. It does bug me that the UK is still classed as having a "variant of concern", when said variant is the predominant strain on the continent now.
ossie

Post by ossie »

scragend wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 7:07pm Seems to be a massive loophole if you can just enter by land from Belgium instead.
Misread your post so edited. Yes its a loophole. As we know these EU borders are as porous as anything, often you have no idea what country you're in and millions of people cross borders daily. I could Imagine the chances of getting ' caught' are absolutely minimal if you're that way inclined. Germany for example has no restrictions on vaccinated UK folk yet share a large border with NL. The issue might come with accommodation I guess if passport required or whatever measures campsites have in place.
mjr

Post by mjr »

scragend wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 7:07pm I don't think UK residents would be able to use the CoronaCheck app (I did try but it wanted some kind of Dutch ID number which I don't have).
I was assuming we could use the French app to turn our UK vaccination certificate into an EU one, which the Netherlands would then accept, but maybe I'm too optimistic.

If the Netherlands require their own app and that requires Dutch ID, isn't that restricting EU citizens from visiting? That's only meant to be a temporary emergency measure, so should change soon if so.

Hopefully Willem will be along soon to help us again!
scragend

Post by scragend »

mjr wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 7:37pm I was assuming we could use the French app to turn our UK vaccination certificate into an EU one, which the Netherlands would then accept, but maybe I'm too optimistic.

If the Netherlands require their own app and that requires Dutch ID, isn't that restricting EU citizens from visiting? That's only meant to be a temporary emergency measure, so should change soon if so.

Hopefully Willem will be along soon to help us again!
I've just had another look at CoronaCheck (a) in case it had changed and (b) to make sure I had remembered correctly.

I followed the path to "add a vaccination certificate", and it invited me to "Log in with your DigiD". There's an option for "I don't have DigiD", but that just redirects to a web site where you can apply for one, and it says "you will need your citizen service number (BSN) for your application".
scragend

Post by scragend »

I suppose it does say "can show this using the CoronaCheck app", not "must".

Clutching at straws perhaps!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It would be ironic if it was the bureaucracy to control the virus that stopped us travelling, rather than the health situation.