Europe 2021

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: Europe 2021

Post by willem jongman »

We have just come back from a brief cycle camping tour in northern Germany. There was a German police patrol at the border but we were not stopped. Shops demand facemasks, and really the proper FFP2 ones (which I found relatively comfortable). Coffee places and restaurants make you fill out a contact form, or use the Luca or similar contact app, and people almost universally complied with the rules. Campsites also demand contact information plus, of course, use of facemasks in indoor spaces. One campsite insisted on full vaccination. I must say I found all of this rather comforting.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Vorpal wrote: 2 Sep 2021, 12:10pm
Thehairs1970 wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 7:19am As a fellow Devonshire type like Mrshj, I am tempted to start a campaign called Devon is Crap.
:lol: How about "Go Away Grockle"? isn't that what invaders are called? :wink:
Indeed.

It’s a fine balance. We (mostly)don’t hate visitors but it can be overwhelming sometimes in terms of numbers. This has caused problems in 2021 and 2021 in terms of facilities etc. Also there is a “we’re on holiday so we’re not wearing face masks” attitude (from some not all) that makes me get very angry. For instance boots the chemist is in the town centre and somewhere sick people need to go for medication yet is currently full of maskless visitors browsing. It’s not all their fault- the government has been hopeless on stuff like mask wearing in pursuit of their libertarian ideals and boots and other shops have opted for a soft touch approach.

This brings me to Willem’s comments- yes, I am looking forward to visiting countries with lower case numbers and stricter rules on holiday and no I don’t want to holiday in the UK with our current COVID rates and super casual approach to managing infection.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

MrsHJ wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 1:35pm ...
This brings me to Willem’s comments- yes, I am looking forward to visiting countries with lower case numbers and stricter rules on holiday and no I don’t want to holiday in the UK with our current COVID rates and super casual approach to managing infection.
I can see some sense in that view.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 7:19am As a fellow Devonshire type like Mrshj, I am tempted to start a campaign called Devon is Crap.
We have very successfully done this in Essex. We are rarely troubled by tourists. All our lovely countryside, pubs and lanes to ourselves.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sorry about the last off topic post I couldn't resist it.

However, back on track.

Willem talked of crossing the border between Germany and presumably Netherlands. Anyone any info on ease of crossing other borders?

Personally thinking of France, Spain and Portugal, but good to hear any other info.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’ll be testing Switzerland to France (by bike) in about ten days time. I’ve checked the rules for both and it should be fine for me, even as a tourist. (Fully vaxed).
Last edited by MrsHJ on 3 Sep 2021, 5:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

For travel from the UK to the Netherlands you have to have a negative test before departure, even if fully vaccinated, and you have to quarantine for 10 days (may be shortened to five when tested during quaratine). So basically no realistic options for a holiday.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

simonhill wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 3:48pm Sorry about the last off topic post I couldn't resist it.

However, back on track.

Willem talked of crossing the border between Germany and presumably Netherlands. Anyone any info on ease of crossing other borders?

Personally thinking of France, Spain and Portugal, but good to hear any other info.
I don't know what specific point you're making, but it occurs to me that most (not all) times I've crossed land borders on a bike there was no passport/customs control to be seen. So in theory you could travel a long way and avoid COVID controls - rightly or wrongly ...

(I can definitely get between France and Spain on such roads!)
ossie

Post by ossie »

simonhill wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 3:22pm
We have very successfully done this in Essex. We are rarely troubled by tourists. All our lovely countryside, pubs and lanes to ourselves.
simonhill wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 3:48pm Sorry about the last off topic post I couldn't resist it.
Not off topic at all. I mean for many tourers Essex is the gateway to Europe through Harwich or the gateway to the UK if coming the other way. (Just a shame about Harwich :wink: ) I love Essex for the reasons you give, gorgeous gently undulating countryside, as you say quiet lanes and some proper pubs and lovely churches.

In relation to Grockles (its a term used in Dorset as well) its easy to go all Nimby, we had massive problems last year (half a million on a beach type problems). However the relevant councils made a pledge to absolutely get a grip of things this summer and to be fair to them they have after a leadership change in one instance . Planning / organisation liaison with hoteliers / businesses / Police / Emergency services ,the set up of park and rides etc, proper parking enforcement and legislation to tow away vehicles, and numerous other schemes have ensured that despite record numbers of visitors we've had no real dramas.
mjr

Post by mjr »

ossie wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 7:27pm Not off topic at all. I mean for many tourers Essex is the gateway to Europe through Harwich or the gateway to the UK if coming the other way. (Just a shame about Harwich :wink: )
Yes, Harwich seems to have misunderstood the idea of an "Essex is crap" marketing campaign and actually made the entrance for visitors crap! (I'm still annoyed by that high kerb across the start of the cycle route and the long detour east before it heads west ;) )

As Willem implies, the Harwich-Hook ferry is not that useful at the moment because of the Netherlands policy against UK visitors. I think you don't have to quarantine if spending less than 12 hours in NL and it's only 50ish miles to Belgium, but I think even vaccinated travellers to Belgium have to quarantine until a negative result to a test which can be taken on day 1 or 2. At least that is better than NL. (It might be that you can take a test before travel but Belgium's various governments are doing their frequent trick of publishing contradictory messages at the moment. I think something changed on 1st September so maybe it'll be sorted soon.)

It's just over 100 miles to Germany and I think they don't currently require vaccinated travellers to quarantine but I'm too slow to do 100 miles in 12h with touring luggage!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 7:49pm ....
As Willem implies, the Harwich-Hook ferry is not that useful at the moment because of the Netherlands policy against UK visitors......
It's not a ferry I like due to their overnight policy on sleeping arrangements. I prefer overnight ferries as they are boring and I'd rather sleep through the trip plus have a day to get away from ferry port to a campsite. Portsmouth-Caen you can get a cheap ticket and sleep on the floor somewhere. But Hoek-Harwich they require you book and pay for a cabin increasing the ticket cost a lot.

But the way my trips have worked out I've set off using Portsmouth-Caen and returned Hoek-Harwich - don't like the extra cost but by that time I'm ready to get home and either pay or a significant detour to a less convenient ferry crossing.

Ian
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

When I was young I sometimes slept on a bench on the ferry. These days I am happy to have a cabin, and to be honest the ferry with cabin is not very expensive if you book in advance. In fact it usually comes out at about the same price as flying plus busses/trains. Getting off in the early morning is always a treat, cycling into the Essex landscape.
Last edited by willem jongman on 3 Sep 2021, 8:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The Netherlands have tightened travel restricitons from EU countries as well. Travellers from most of them now have to prove their status with the EU Covid check app. The regime for travellers from the UK is the same as for most other non EU countries. See here for current ruiles: https://www.government.nl/topics/corona ... list-entry
ossie

Post by ossie »

Psamathe wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 8:13pm
As Willem implies, the Harwich-Hook ferry is not that useful at the moment because of the Netherlands policy against UK visitors......
It's not a ferry I like due to their overnight policy on sleeping arrangements. I prefer overnight ferries as they are boring and I'd rather sleep through the trip plus have a day to get away from ferry port to a campsite. Portsmouth-Caen you can get a cheap ticket and sleep on the floor somewhere. But Hoek-Harwich they require you book and pay for a cabin increasing the ticket cost a lot.

But the way my trips have worked out I've set off using Portsmouth-Caen and returned Hoek-Harwich - don't like the extra cost but by that time I'm ready to get home and either pay or a significant detour to a less convenient ferry crossing.

Ian
I don't mind splashing out on a cabin every now and then, book in advance and there are various discounts online. I often leave via Poole but if heading towards Netherlands / Germany I have 3/4 nights camping before Harwich or a few weeks camping coming the other way so it usually means I'm ready for it, wash a load of kit, treat myself to a beer in the bar etc. What really gets me is that bloody call to breakfast that gets blasted through the loudspeaker at some ungodly hour :mrgreen:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ossie wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 8:39pm
Psamathe wrote: 3 Sep 2021, 8:13pm

Ian
I don't mind splashing out on a cabin every now and then, book in advance and there are various discounts online. I often leave via Poole but if heading towards Netherlands / Germany I have 3/4 nights camping before Harwich or a few weeks camping coming the other way so it usually means I'm ready for it, wash a load of kit, treat myself to a beer in the bar etc. What really gets me is that bloody call to breakfast that gets blasted through the loudspeaker at some ungodly hour :mrgreen:
Maybe I make things worse for myself as I don't book in advance or rather I decide time to head home and depending where I am head for fery port and book the evening before I'm wanting to sail. My tours are open without schedule and with no real plan and I keep going until I decide it's time to go home when I head home. So I don't get advance booking discounts.

Ian