Europe 2021

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Europe 2021

Post by mjr »

I'm a fan of Dover-Dunkirk and now the Dunkirk-De Panne cycleway is finished, there's only the port road to contend with and a clunky junction by a school in Petit-Synthe.

Are all the ferries to France running ok for bikes again? seat61.com makes me think so but he's really about foot travellers not bikes.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Just to mention that I have downloaded the french app (tousantiCOVID) and the Swisscovid app successfully. I have the NHS app operational and also printed my NHS certificate (and will carry with me) and have also successfully scanned it with the french app which has confirmed me as good to go.

I have also done my passenger locator form for arrival in Switzerland. And french self declaration. FIxed various bits on my bike so nearly organised to tour.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

MrsHJ wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 7:04pm Just to mention that I have downloaded the french app (tousantiCOVID) and the Swisscovid app successfully. I have the NHS app operational and also printed my NHS certificate (and will carry with me) and have also successfully scanned it with the french app which has confirmed me as good to go.

I have also done my passenger locator form for arrival in Switzerland. And french self declaration. FIxed various bits on my bike so nearly organised to tour.
Phew!

Hope all the effort is worth it :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It is being reported* that the traffic light system for re-entry to the UK is being scrapped in October. Let's hope this makes travel easier.

*Online in Guardian, Independent, by Simon Calder.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

foxyrider wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 9:08pm
MrsHJ wrote: 5 Sep 2021, 7:04pm Just to mention that I have downloaded the french app (tousantiCOVID) and the Swisscovid app successfully. I have the NHS app operational and also printed my NHS certificate (and will carry with me) and have also successfully scanned it with the french app which has confirmed me as good to go.

Phew!

Hope all the effort is worth it :D
Not much effort! Thanks partly to MrsJH's posts, I have taken the plunge and am now in Brittany, with my campervan (and bike inside). I printed my vaccination certificates and installed the French 'anticovid' app (works more smoothly than the UK one).
Getting on /off the ferry (Plymouth/Roscoff) probably took no longer than usual. The immigration guy at Roscoff was so friendly; he asked how long I was here for and where I was staying; when I said I had no real plans he said 'that's the best sort of holiday'. Maybe he's been furloughed for 18 months and just glad to see holidaymakers returning. He didn't even want to see my 'self declaration' of not having symptoms etc: "why would anyone fill one in without all the boxes ticked?"
Had an 80km ride today, and fondly remembered the empty French roads. Worth waiting for!
Chris F, Cornwall
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Does anyone have any experience of the return to UK passenger locator form ?
Reading through the .GOV advice it seems that it must be submitted online 48hours before return.
That may be difficult as I'm not sure of online access - I suppose I could try using my Samsung J3 - but I've never used it for sending e-mails
(besides my touchscreen keyboard skills are clunky)

I tried the advice line and sat through several minutes of ghastly music to speak to someone speaking very faintly - perhaps they are trained to do that.
I think I was advised to use an internet cafe ( I didn't know they still existed.)
How is it that France and Ireland seem happy with a completed paper document?
Andrew-l

Post by Andrew-l »

Doing ours, I'm pretty certain that it had to be online, and in those last two days. Bit of a pain, but did have laptop.
Wouldn't have wanted to do it on my phone!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Internet cafes are sometimes available in certain urban areas, but you are unlikely to be in such places.

However libraries may have a computer to use, if not try a tourist office. I'm sure they will be able to help even if they don't have a public machine.

Beware the French keyboard, it ain't a qwerty, unless things have changed.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Still Azerty.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Thanks for the information.
I've never felt the need for a laptop until now.
I'll try the various options suggested - I did manage to use a French internet cafe in 2012 - but perhaps I'll try a tourist office or library.
If nothing works my son can do it and e-mail me the document - if it works :(
I wonder what I would do if the ferry refused to let me board ? What would I need to do to get the French to deport me?

I was trying to persuade my partner to go to Yorkshire before I embarked on this saga.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I haven't looked at the form you have to fill in, but can't see why your son can't do it remotely. As long as he has all your details and email, it should be transparent to the program/app. How do you think scammers get away with it.

I suggest you walk through it with your son before you leave, to make sure he has all the necessary info.
Bogawski

Post by Bogawski »

Interesting theory if it works, before cancelling my trip I tried to fill in the form on my laptop and stalled when when it would not accept the dates because it was too far in advance, however it did hold all the information for me to pick up when the dates were appropriate. Would it work? would it block me when needed because I had aready made an application? I have no smart phone so would be relying on others as above.
I wonder if you couldn't get any joy at an internet cafe or tourist information if you turned up at the ferry and ased them to help, there are usually people hanging around at immigration and they are not going to want you dossing at the terminal.
Why we have to fill in the PLF is a mystery, all our details are on computor. I think it is just to deter people from going overseas.
Very best wishes for the trip.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

If you are staying in a hotel I expect they’d help.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

ChrisF wrote:
Not much effort! Thanks partly to MrsJH's posts, I have taken the plunge and am now in Brittany, with my campervan (and bike inside). I printed my vaccination certificates and installed the French 'anticovid' app (works more smoothly than the UK one).
Getting on /off the ferry (Plymouth/Roscoff) probably took no longer than usual. The immigration guy at Roscoff was so friendly; he asked how long I was here for and where I was staying; when I said I had no real plans he said 'that's the best sort of holiday'. Maybe he's been furloughed for 18 months and just glad to see holidaymakers returning. He didn't even want to see my 'self declaration' of not having symptoms etc: "why would anyone fill one in without all the boxes ticked?"
Had an 80km ride today, and fondly remembered the empty French roads. Worth waiting for!
Uhoh, I didn’t realise I was in the vanguard of a wave of British cyclists! I’m flying to Geneva this evening. I hope you have a great trip.

Just to mention that Swiss rules are changing slightly. From Monday you now require a certificate to go to gyms and restaurants etc. Not sure about trains. Hopefully one of my forms will do the trick but I’m not really planning on eating out much and will be in France from Wednesday.

Also the Swiss are making noises about all arrivals being tested but that hasn’t been introduced yet (I hope!!).
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

simonhill wrote: 9 Sep 2021, 4:49pm I haven't looked at the form you have to fill in, but can't see why your son can't do it remotely. As long as he has all your details and email, it should be transparent to the program/app. How do you think scammers get away with it.

I suggest you walk through it with your son before you leave, to make sure he has all the necessary info.
Thanks for that.
I also tried to complete it early but came to a halt as others have.
The UK site does say that they only keep your details for seven days so I'll need to start again.

I've just got back from Ireland.
I filled in the Irish PLF and printed it off. Had to show it with double vac cert to get on plane.
Nobody looked at it on arrival - probably already recorded - but at Dublin airport they were asking anyone who hadn't completed one to do so -how did they get on the plane to Ireland without it?
Coming back to UK there was no formality or passport check - walked off plane and through nothing to declare channel.
It will probably be more interesting coming back from France.