Europe 2021

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Europe 2021

Post by mjr »

ANTONISH wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 10:16am Nobody looked at it on arrival - probably already recorded - but at Dublin airport they were asking anyone who hadn't completed one to do so -how did they get on the plane to Ireland without it?
Mistakes happen?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
SprokenBroke

Post by SprokenBroke »

Is the consensus ATM that Europe is possible but you're having to jump through hoops?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Not really until the NHS app is compatible with the European system. More and more countries demand that you show the EU app plus ID for more and more things to prove that you are fully vaccinated, have recovered, or have been tested very recently. From this weekend e.g. this will be the case for bars, restaurants and other public places in the Netherlands. The UK government delayed joining the EU system for a long time but going it alone meant you are alone. Apparently it will finally happen. But for now the Dutch goverment has warned that travelers from the UK may have to get themselves tested every day.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Portugal accept the NHS app as proof of double jab for hotels, restaurants, etc. Word on the street is that it will soon accept it for entry to the country, doing away with pre departure test.

It may be worth looking at TripAdvisor pages on each country to see what is currently accepted. It is the main topic, asked every day. From what I've read the NHS app is widely accepted as proof of double jab, if anything is required at all.

From what Willem says, The Netherlands seems to be the toughest.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I think the stance on accepting UK vaccination certificates by EU nations depends on the level of tourism. In some places holiday makers are big sources of income and their absence is being felt .
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Italy would be an interesting case as from a month from now it will even demand it for people to go to work. Apparently the app is quite universally accepted by Italians. Mario Draghi was not only a highly effective head of the EU central bank but is now also a decisive prime minister.
ossie

Post by ossie »

willem jongman wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 7:40am Not really until the NHS app is compatible with the European system. More and more countries demand that you show the EU app plus ID for more and more things to prove that you are fully vaccinated, have recovered, or have been tested very recently. From this weekend e.g. this will be the case for bars, restaurants and other public places in the Netherlands. The UK government delayed joining the EU system for a long time but going it alone meant you are alone. Apparently it will finally happen. But for now the Dutch goverment has warned that travelers from the UK may have to get themselves tested every day.
It's the EU who have stalled on approving integration of the NHS app for various reasons (probably political). We are hardly alone with 19 member states accepting it. As stated tripadvisor is a great source of information and for those countries that aren't officially recognising it appears a hard / paper copy will get you into most places. I guess if they refuse you simply go to another restaurant or bar who would welcome your custom. If the Netherlands is proposing daily testing of UK folk then people simply won't visit - which I guess is the general idea, although how they could ever enforce it is beyond me.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The UK have been invited early on but did not respond.
As for Dutch restaurants: if they allow people in without using the EU app they are breaching the law and incur a heavy fine and if caught a second time they will be closed. The same applies to many other countries and quite rightly.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I cant remember the last time I visited Holland, it was on business many years ago I think. I have no wish to go there so its no loss. It'll be the French next... :lol: Donnez moi..... But, apparently most proprietors already ignore the dictat and dont require the app

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ossie

Post by ossie »

al_yrpal wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 9:11am I cant remember the last time I visited Holland, it was on business many years ago I think. I have no wish to go there so its no loss. It'll be the French next... :lol: Donnez moi..... But, apparently most proprietors already ignore the dictat and dont require the app

Al
I stayed on a well established Dutch campsite when touring in 2019. The owner said I was the first Brit in 30 years to stay there and warmly shook me by the hand, they get few UK campers apparently. I believe a fair chunk of UK tourist trade is centred around Amsterdam simply due to the availability and legality of cannabis and prostitutes. I'm not being demeaning as I like the country but in a cycling sense I'm usually passing through and you won't find a better place for cycling from A to B safely and efficiently.
pq

Post by pq »

The French covid app is compatible with NHS QR codes. That means you can either present the NHS QR code on paper which is scanned, or you can download the tousanticovid app to your phone, scan the QR code into it and then you have the same documentation the French have. Just done this for my outlaws who are visiting and it was very easy. I assume the same will work elsewhere in Europe.
One link to your website is enough. G
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pq wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 9:57am I assume the same will work elsewhere in Europe.
I posted the French announcement when it was made, and it's been confirmed a few times.

But I haven't seen it for other countries, and it would be great if others could share experiences.

Thanks

Jonathan
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The average daily infection rate in the Netherlands has been 10.5 per 100k for the last week. Daily average hospital admissions per million have been 2.34, and daily ICU admissions per million 0.51. R=0.91. All numbers are coming down, and we would like to continue with the trend. Hence the imposition of the digital corona check app. It will permit further relaxation of the restrictions while pushing down the infection rate at the same time. Travellers too should feel safer as a result. By now 86% of all 18+ year olds have had a first jab, and 82% are fully vaccinated. If we take into account the 12-18 year olds as well, 83.5% and 79.6% of the entire population over 12 years of age have been vaccinated. This is a pretty good score, and quite similar to other EU countries or the UK, but equally it is not quite good enough to kill the epidemic, so we cannot sit back.
The Netherlands are a nice country for cycle touring of the more relaxed kind, particularly with children. There are many campsites, and the Natuurkampeerterreinen in particular are strongly recommended for cycle tourists, but the season is drawing to an end. The Fietsersbond Routeplanner allows you to create gpx tracks where you will hardly see a single car. Tourism in Amsterdam is a problem, and drunken Brits in particular are a nuisance. Therefore, many in that town were only too glad to see tourism take a plunge.
Last edited by willem jongman on 23 Sep 2021, 11:28am, edited 1 time in total.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The English & Welsh NHS Covid QR codes are accepted by Norway

https://www.regjeringen.no/en/aktuelt/n ... id2867205/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

willem jongman wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 11:12am Tourism in Amsterdam is a problem, and drunken Brits in particular are a nuisance. Therefore, many in that town were only too glad to see tourism take a plunge.
Yeah, we have the same problem only its all over the country, thats why we send them abroad! :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......