Europe 2021

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: Europe 2021

Post by willem jongman »

However, that Norwegian decision refers to checks at the border. Does Norway use the app to check admission to bars and restaurants or museums etc?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There are no checks to enter bars & restaurants.

The capacities for shops, restaurants, & bars have been reduced substantially from pre-covid levels.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

al_yrpal wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 11:30am
willem jongman wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 11:12am Tourism in Amsterdam is a problem, and drunken Brits in particular are a nuisance. Therefore, many in that town were only too glad to see tourism take a plunge.
Yeah, we have the same problem only its all over the country, thats why we send them abroad! :lol:

Al
Add a breathalyser
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Vorpal wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 11:34am There are no checks to enter bars & restaurants.

The capacities for shops, restaurants, & bars have been reduced substantially from pre-covid levels.
That is what we are now stopping in lieu of using the covid app for admission. What remains is the 12pm closing time, because research has shown that many infections occured precisely at these late night events.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

willem jongman wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 12:13pm
Vorpal wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 11:34am There are no checks to enter bars & restaurants.

That is what we are now stopping in lieu of using the covid app for admission. What remains is the 12pm closing time, because research has shown that many infections occured precisely at these late night events.
do you mean midnight?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Yes sorry, midnight.
mikeonabike

Post by mikeonabike »

We are currently touring in Spain which does not require proof of vaccination to enter restaurants/etc. (Though capacities are restricted and some things are simply shut)

We arrived via France where their App accepts the NHS vaccinations as mentioned above.
mjr

Post by mjr »

willem jongman wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 7:40am Not really until the NHS app is compatible with the European system. More and more countries demand that you show the EU app plus ID for more and more things
What EU app? I thought each country had its own compatible one, so English residents can scan their NHS code into the French app to have an EU pass. Have I misunderstood?

The Netherlands started well but seem to have lost the plot, relaxing restrictions too quick and now overreacting the other way and keeping too many too long with no exit conditions set. Almost as bad as the UK, but less deadly!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

With two friends this afternoon who have a yacht at Vannes. They were getting passport photos today to get French residency so they wont be limited by the 90 day rule. They wont actually be living in France most of the time but spend quite a bit of time there.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

It is an EU app that generates either an EU wide qr code or a national one, with different privacy levels and allowing individual countries to define different uses within their own borders.
I don't see the Dutch use as restrictive: it is an instrument to relax nearly all restrictions in a this time hopefully safe manner focussing on the situations that are known to generate most infections. In the meantime numbers of infections, and hospital and icu admissions are coming down quite significantly. The mandatory use of the app should allow this trend to continue while at the same time returning freedom to those who are not potentially infectuous or a potential burden on tbe health system.
mjr

Post by mjr »

willem jongman wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 11:33pm It is an EU app that generates either an EU wide qr code or a national one, with ...
https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-tra ... ertificate says otherwise.

What do you think the EU app is called? What's its page on your app store?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

EU designed with common standards and administered by national public health authorities. These national authorities can impose their own conditions on the use of this EU system within their own jurisdiction but cannot exclude citizens from other EU countries from enjoying the same rights as their own citizens except in very severe conditions. The UK are no longer in the EU and thus far the Netherlands only accepts EU certificates from other EU countries unless its technical and administrative standards are met which is not yet the case with the UK.
So I fail to understand your point unless it is somehow semantic.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein accepted the EU offer, unlike the UK.
Local implementations of the EU system are needed because of the connection to local databases. For me the first step was to identify myself with the Dutch multifactor secure ID system DigiD. The next step was to connect to the national database with data on vaccination, previous confirmed infection and recent test results. Only after that could I generate a QR code for either Dutch or international use. So as you can see all this requires a fair amount of system security. The EU system entails mutual recognition but non EU countries will have to demonstrate that their entire chain from vaccination/infection recording/testing is secure. I am sure the UK/NHS can provide such reassurances. From what I read the UK is similarly restrictive to many other countries and for good reason.
Last edited by willem jongman on 25 Sep 2021, 12:13pm, edited 2 times in total.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'm definitely not an antivaxer and want freedom of movement as soon and easy as possible.

Nonetheless, it's quite worrying when you hear all the infrastructure, digital and physical that different countries have put in place. I wonder how much will stay in place once the pandemic is over. We are still enduring many restrictions put in place after 9/11. To say the terrorists will never win was a joke will Covid be the same.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I suppose some of these restrictions will remain for as long as the pandemic remains a world wide problem and that will be at least until the whole world has been vaccinated. Whether any of these systems will be (ab)used is up to our parliaments but I for one would not want to end up in an Orwellian dystopia. For now I am very happy with them, since they give me freedom.