Leeds to Liverpool canal

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
densmall

Leeds to Liverpool canal

Post by densmall »

Hi,can anyone tell me what the state of the paths are along this route,are there some parts that are not suitable for cycling?
colin54

Re: Leeds to Liverpool canal

Post by colin54 »

Anything from smooth well surfaced wide path to narow rutted grass single track, all cyclable apart from two tunnels where you divert off of the towpath for a couple of miles.
A thread from a while back, and a more recent one,there are more.The second one links to an informative 35 minute video.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=112532
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=146052
edit: If you Google 'Leeds -Liverpool Canal Cycling UK Forum' it brings up a multitude of previous threads on the subject
Good luck
Nu-Fogey
Bullsnut

Post by Bullsnut »

A couple of years back I cycled along the LL Canal through Wigan and Chorley. There are metal barriers in places around Wigan shaped like a bicycle which you can push your bike through - unless it’s fully loaded with panniers. They were a right pain. The idea is to stop motorcycles razzing up and down the canal. Further on leaving Wigan there was a locked steel barrier spanning the width of the tow path which I couldn’t get over or under without detaching everything on my bike first then lifting my bike over. Apart from this it was a very pleasant cycle ride along the Canal but I would definitely detour the canal in the centre of Wigan if I was doing this route again.
scragend

Post by scragend »

Bullsnut wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 4:23pm A couple of years back I cycled along the LL Canal through Wigan and Chorley. There are metal barriers in places around Wigan shaped like a bicycle which you can push your bike through - unless it’s fully loaded with panniers. They were a right pain. The idea is to stop motorcycles razzing up and down the canal. Further on leaving Wigan there was a locked steel barrier spanning the width of the tow path which I couldn’t get over or under without detaching everything on my bike first then lifting my bike over. Apart from this it was a very pleasant cycle ride along the Canal but I would definitely detour the canal in the centre of Wigan if I was doing this route again.
One or two of the barriers are (annoyingly) just slightly too low for my bike to go through, although it does fit through others of the same type so they mustn't all have been installed at quite the same height. No big deal though because I can stand it up on the back wheel and manoeuvre it through the gate - or just pick it up and drop it over the big gate.

I can't picture where this "locked steel barrier spanning the width of the tow path" is - I've never encountered that.

I wouldn't say there was any need to detour off the canal in Wigan (it would mean you would need to go through by road instead, which would be less pleasant). The bit that I'm not much of a fan of is the cobbles round the pier. There is a strip of smoother flags but it's a bit close to the edge and I don't trust myself not to end up in the drink!

With it being my local canal, I have in the past fallen into the trap of thinking that all canals are as suitable as that for cycling. My recent tour elsewhere in the country disabused me of that notion pretty quickly!
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Bullsnut wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 4:23pm A couple of years back I cycled along the LL Canal through Wigan and Chorley. There are metal barriers in places around Wigan shaped like a bicycle which you can push your bike through - unless it’s fully loaded with panniers. They were a right pain. The idea is to stop motorcycles razzing up and down the canal. Further on leaving Wigan there was a locked steel barrier spanning the width of the tow path which I couldn’t get over or under without detaching everything on my bike first then lifting my bike over. Apart from this it was a very pleasant cycle ride along the Canal but I would definitely detour the canal in the centre of Wigan if I was doing this route again.
Probably where the A577 Manchester road spans the canal. One side of the road, a gate with a gap at the side, the other side a gate and a kissing gate with a slot for a bike's wheel, (can catch derailleur if you're not careful), as mentioned up-thread by scragend , I just stand my bike on the rear wheel and go through the kissing gate, rest bike upright in a corner and reverse the bike still on it's back wheel out the other side of the gate.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.54494 ... 8192?hl=en
There's maybe 3 in Wigan like this en-route and a couple 4 or 5miles further on at Red Rock.
I was up that way today on a bike with small panniers - no problem, I can see it might be an annoyance if you were on a heavy laden bike with large panniers, tent strapped on the back etc.
I think it would be a shame to by-pass this piece of the
L&L canal though just because of these barriers, as the flight of locks at Wigan is one of the wonders of the route, 21 locks in a 2 mile stretch.
Nu-Fogey
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

We were on the canal in July and went from around swing bridge 174 to the Bingley 5 rise. That bit seemed fine for cycling. We saw many cyclists as we went down the river. Wouldn't use a skinny tyre bike. Mountain bike with gravel tyres is order of the day -- like the ones on the 35 min video of the guy doing it in one day.

People along the route seemed very friendly and helpful. Take at least 2 days to do the route cos there's so much to take in and nice places to stop it would be a shame to be pushing too fast not to mention dangerous.
I am here. Where are you?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

What's the towpath like through Burnley. Going to Clarion Sunday next weekend and staying in Burnley Travelodge. Planned route is along the canal through Burnley as far as Colne.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
scragend

Post by scragend »

colin54 wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 9:11pm Probably where the A577 Manchester road spans the canal. One side of the road, a gate with a gap at the side, the other side a gate and a kissing gate with a slot for a bike's wheel, (can catch derailleur if you're not careful), as mentioned up-thread by scragend , I just stand my bike on the rear wheel and go through the kissing gate, rest bike upright in a corner and reverse the bike still on it's back wheel out the other side of the gate.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.54494 ... 8192?hl=en
There's maybe 3 in Wigan like this en-route and a couple 4 or 5miles further on at Red Rock.
I was up that way today on a bike with small panniers - no problem, I can see it might be an annoyance if you were on a heavy laden bike with large panniers, tent strapped on the back etc.
I think it would be a shame to by-pass this piece of the
L&L canal though just because of these barriers, as the flight of locks at Wigan is one of the wonders of the route, 21 locks in a 2 mile stretch.
Despite what Google Street View might imply, I'd say that gate is open more often than it's closed. I don't think I've ever encountered it closed. That's why I didn't think of it! Maybe I've just been lucky.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

pete75 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 9:49am What's the towpath like through Burnley. Going to Clarion Sunday next weekend and staying in Burnley Travelodge. Planned route is along the canal through Burnley as far as Colne.
Hi Pete, If you have a look here, there are still photographs of the Burnley (and all the other sections of the route) showing the towpath conditions, just click on next or previous section at the foot of each page until you reach your particular place of of interest.
I think the pictures go east to west( Leeds to Liverpool), you're heading the other way obviously, so click previous sections from wherever the nearest point is to your hotel. I think that's correct !
Have fun.
http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/ll/ll54.htm

It's normally well surfaced near the big towns en-route for people using to travel to work.
Nu-Fogey
pete75

Post by pete75 »

colin54 wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 10:58am
pete75 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 9:49am What's the towpath like through Burnley. Going to Clarion Sunday next weekend and staying in Burnley Travelodge. Planned route is along the canal through Burnley as far as Colne.
Hi Pete, If you have a look here, there are still photographs of the Burnley (and all the other sections of the route) showing the towpath conditions, just click on next or previous section at the foot of each page until you reach your particular place of of interest.
I think the pictures go east to west( Leeds to Liverpool), you're heading the other way obviously, so click previous sections from wherever the nearest point is to your hotel. I think that's correct !
Have fun.
http://www.penninewaterways.co.uk/ll/ll54.htm

It's normally well surfaced near the big towns en-route for people using to travel to work.
Thanks for this Colin. Bloody good website, someone has put a lot of work into it. Burnley section looks very interesting - am looking forward to riding it.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Do it in June when the days are longest if doing it in one day -- that would mean you could afford longer / more breaks and less Ave speed
I am here. Where are you?
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

The section Gargrave to Skipton was awful, especially when wet but this suggests it was upgraded last year. I've not used it so confirmation from a local would be welcome.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/ ... igned-off/

That's quite a helpful section between the two places and could open up some journeys without long detours or busy roads.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

geocycle wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 4:09pm The section Gargrave to Skipton was awful, especially when wet but this suggests it was upgraded last year. I've not used it so confirmation from a local would be welcome.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/ ... igned-off/

That's quite a helpful section between the two places and could open up some journeys without long detours or busy roads.
I asked about that exact stretch on here or somewhere else quite recently.
A local who had ridden it said that yes it had been upgraded and was fine.
Sweep
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Yes, Gargrave to Leeds is all good riding now, except for a mile or two between Kildwick and Steeton, which is due to be upgraded this autumn.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I rode from Gargrave to foulridge approx 2 months ago.

It's by far the most treacherous section esp between barnoldswick and Gargrave.

Tree roots, exposed rock and narrow ruts abound.

Sadly I didn't get to run it! Next year!

Cheers James