New set up ideas...

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nomm

New set up ideas...

Post by nomm »

With the last year limiting options for campsites and B&B, I am experimenting with 5-10KG set up for the Audax bike. Ideally with just the Super-C (23ish L) bar bag (3.5) and top tube (1.5) - so not the usual panniers and bags.

Max 2-3 nights for long distance jaunts of Approx. 100+ miles a day

I have trawled through the 'how light can you go' but wanted to get a bit more specific with ideas -

3 season down sleeping bag - smallest pack size as possible - open to an investment here as my bag is long overdue replacement
Alp Kit Elan Bivvy + 3x3 M tarp - replacing a 2-3 person tent
Lightweight stove kit - replacing portable stove type set up
Warm but small sleeping mat

Thoughts?
Pendodave

Re: New set up ideas...

Post by Pendodave »

A small thing, but i fit my sleeping mat (neoair of some type) into my downtube water bottle holder. Every bit helps!
I've a 1l bottle for the front holder to get a bit of volume back. You could also rig a bottle holder under the front tube.
3.5 l for bar bag seems a bit conservative - i use an alpkit dual airlock 13l with their joey sling. Don't think you get 13l, but more space than the 3.5l you plan on, and it fitted fine (packed with soft stuff) between drops with messy sora brake/gear cables everywhere.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I have made quite a few such trips during the last year and havectried to reduce my luggage for precisely such a set up but have failed. On my last weekend ride I had 12 kg (including food and fuelbut not water). This went into Altura Arc 15 panniers (33 litres), a five litre bar bag, fuel bottle under the down tube and tent (Helport Ringstind Superlight 2) on top of the rack. Ibwas fine, but obviously too much for the audax bike that I would like to use for such short trips.
I had a Trangia 27 stove and I could obviously save a bit there, and all the more with the quite horrible ultralight freeze tried meal that I took as an experiment. But it did save volume and weight. My sleeping bag is a 600 gram PHD minimus which was a bit cold, even with my ultralight down vest and a merino shirt. Mattress was a Neoair but not one of the new ultralight ones - I am done with ultra fragile. I guess in summer I could leave behind my down vest, my long trousers for the evening and my rain trousers.
For now my conclusion is that I would have to spend quite a lot and forego some bad weather comfort. In the end my quite light touring bike is lovely and handled beautifully with this still relatively light load. I will probably chip away more weight, but I do not quite see how making the jump will do it for me. Unfortunately - I would like to.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I have made quite a few such trips during the last year and havectried to reduce my luggage for precisely such a set up but have failed. On my last weekend ride I had 12 kg (including food and fuelbut not water). This went into Altura Arc 15 panniers (33 litres), a five litre bar bag, fuel bottle under the down tube and tent (Helport Ringstind Superlight 2) on top of the rack. Ibwas fine, but obviously too much for the audax bike that I would like to use for such short trips.
I had a Trangia 27 stove and I could obviously save a bit there, and all the more with the quite horrible ultralight freeze tried meal that I took as an experiment. But it did save volume and weight. My sleeping bag is a 600 gram PHD minimus which was a bit cold, even with my ultralight down vest and a merino shirt. Mattress was a Neoair but not one of the new ultralight ones - I am done with ultra fragile. I guess in summer I could leave behind my down vest, my long trousers for the evening and my rain trousers.
For now my conclusion is that I would have to spend quite a lot and forego some bad weather comfort. In the end my quite light touring bike is lovely and handled beautifully with this still relatively light load. I will probably chip away more weight, but I do not quite see how making the jump will do it for me. Unfortunately - I would like to.
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

Having been down the Bar bag / Saddle bag / stuff strapped everywhere route, I've now gone back to a pair of small front panniers used on a rear rack. Whilst the backpacking route was OK I always found that I either struggled to fit everything in or if I did, then had nowhere to put anything else I bought on route (i,e If i bought a sandwich for later then what do you do with it).

I find that having the small panniers on the rear I've got a better balanced bike, a bit of spare room if I need it and because I've got that bit of extra room can extend my season out a bit further as I've got space for waterproofs or an extra layer if required.

Kit wise, I tend to wild camp / bivvy using a Hammock and tarp, as I find it easier to find a secluded pitch and found that whilst the bivvy bag / tarp route was OK, you still need to find a flat patch of ground and you still end up covered in slugs and snails!

The beauty of the Hammock is that you don't need a flat space, just 2 things to tie it too. Indeed I've had it pitched on ground so steep it was hard to stand up, over nettles and thorns, often pitch in the scrubby wasteland by the side of the road which is never flat and i personally find it a really comfy nights sleep.

I would typically plan a weekend away looking at doing 100+ miles per day on my Spa Audax or Elan, with a kit list like below:

Hammock.
Small tarp (1.5x3m) with 4 pegs and guys).
Cheap roll mat of some description, used in hammock to reduce heat loss through bottom and to sit on during the day.
3 Season down bag.
Gas canister with screw on type stove.
Titanium mug (used direct on stove for heating water and as a brew cup).
Small thermos (Used for making porridge, pasta, super noodles and lots of other stuff).
Brew kit etc, and food for day.
Small wash kit.
Spare clothes as required dependant on temperatures and planned weather.

That lot easily fits into a pair of Carradice Super c front panniers (28L), used on a lightweight rear rack, with room to spare. By using the spare space for extra layers I've been out when it's cold enough to wake up with frost on my sleeping bag and find it a pretty versatile set up, which incidentally (in my opinion) also makes a pretty good set up for backpacking.
A dull read for a rainy day - https://pperratt.weebly.com/
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

I'm always impressed by folks that can manage with minimal kit. I think I like my comforts too much and usually end up with 4 panniers! One of the reasons I switched from two to four was wanting to have more room for things I purchase during the ride so I can certainly appreciate that.

I'm not sure that a hammock would work for me, I tend to tour in the Scottish Islands and there are very few trees! I also often end up cycling to a spot and then put the tent up and leave stuff in it while I go off to explore for the day, returning to the tent for one or more nights, this works really well when visiting the smaller islands. I guess we all adapt our setups to suit our needs (or change our needs to fit our setups!).
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Oh and the thought of "extending the season" by carrying a set of waterproofs made me smile. They are one of the first things I make sure I've packed!
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I've been camping out of a Camper Longflap for some years, off and on, for shorter trips up to 4 or 5 nights
viewtopic.php?p=182263#p182263
A couple of miles up the track from Rannoch station towards Corrour, 4th night of 5.

If I was being light, I'd take...
The tent, under the flap. I use an Akto, but there are lighter options, such as a Laser Comp, even if you do lose a bit of porch space.
Sleeping bag (PHD Minim 300 ~ 700g, good down to zero), silk liner
Inflatable pillow
mat - Thermarest Neoair short (original version - I'd get an Xlite full length now)
Stove & pan - Optimus Terra Solo & Crux (tea and dehydrated or cold meals)
Orikaso fold flat bowl & mug

plus wash kit, spare/off bike clothing to suit the season and remaining space, food to cover what I can't buy en route, kindle, waterproofs, puncture/tool kit.

One thing I don't take that makes a fair bit of difference is off-bike shoes. I use SPD sandals, which I find do fine for evenings after riding all day.

I'll often put the sleeping bag in a drybag strapped to the handlebars, which liberates enough extra space in the saddlebag to allow for luxuries such as a chair

I have tried a hammock, but by the time you've the hammock, a tarp to keep the rain off, and something to insulate underneath, you don't really save either weight or size over a tent, so the difference is in where you can find to spend the night.
nomm

Post by nomm »

I have decided to go light-ish second hand initially, before working my way down size/weight if required.

The only thing I need to complete the set up is a new lighter/smaller sleep bag - TBH I would chose 3 season synthetic, as I have had previous good experiences with higher quality synth bags and I sleep warm, so long as it goes tiny.

This set up is for max 2 nighters, 100mile+ rides per day.

Thus far I have -

Helium Super light 200
Thermarest Prolight plus mat
MSR pocket rocket stove + titanium cooking set

I am yet to play around with bag set ups, hoping to keep my rack/panniers for longer trips. The Thorn Audax sweet spot being around 8KG. I have a feeling the bar bag is going to have to expand with moving of my dynamo