Are Hilleberg tent warranties transferable

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ulriken

Are Hilleberg tent warranties transferable

Post by Ulriken »

Goodness, that doesn't sound like an interesting topic. But here goes.

I have been working in Norway for the past year and now have the chance to get in a week of biking north and west of Bergen before heading back to UK. Bike is with me but not the tent. The wonderful yr.no weather site is showing a formidable forecast of ultra persistent rain for the first for days of the trip. Will have to get hold something in next two days, so buying online not an option.

It looks as though I will have to pay around £450 for MSR Elixir in a shop in Bergen. For a bit more - actually quite a bit more - I could buy an unused Hilleberg Nallo 2 from someone privately. Hence my question about whether or not a Hilleberg warranty remains in place if the person claiming is not the original purchaser but does have the original receipt (which in this case is dated early 2021).

Thanks for your help.

And I promise to send a picture from the trip showing whichever one I end up with.
simonineaston

Re: Are Hilleberg tent warranties transferable

Post by simonineaston »

My advice would be to ask Hilleberg themselves.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

simonineaston wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 5:20pm My advice would be to ask Hilleberg themselves.
.....and mine......

What are we missing ??.....
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I presume the receipt has the original purchaser's name on it??

If not what's the problem. If it does you could claim it was a present.
Ulriken

Post by Ulriken »

Ah, forgot to mention that a message has been sent to Hilleberg today (Saturday) and, of course, I won't receive a reply until Monday. If I buy the tent privately today or tomorrow, I can get in an extra day's ride!

My guess is that the warranty would apply in practice. I know that warranties are non transferable for other products, such as cameras and lenses.

Right, I'll shut up.
nsew

Post by nsew »

The warranty states that proof of purchase is required. However you are buying in person and will inspect the tent before paying. There’s not a whole lot to inspect, they’re beautifully made with the best materials and anything not right will be apparent. You also have the benefit of being able to remove the inner when the tent is erected. Each pole section should be inspected for clean fitting undamaged ends.

https://hilleberg.com/eng/contact-suppo ... y-repairs/
nsew

Post by nsew »

Here’s the video on how to pitch the Nallo

https://youtu.be/siZpFAPNWtc
Ulriken

Post by Ulriken »

Many thanks for the replies. Think I'll go ahead and purchase, assuming all is well when I check it out in person. This will be the second most money I have spent on a 'used' item, after a car!

Here's something from a previous trip - south of Berlevåg on the Varanger Peninsula in the north.

IMG_6826.jpg
nsew

Post by nsew »

Money well spent, their tents ooze quality. One word of caution with the Nallo (& Nammatj) is that they’re not suited to a tall person (6ft plus) as the foot end is quite low resulting in condensation transferring to your bag from the fly.
Attachments
4EAFC646-758C-4A3F-B06F-E0BF474C0715.jpeg
4EAFC646-758C-4A3F-B06F-E0BF474C0715.jpeg (25.09 KiB) Viewed 599 times
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Ulriken wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 7:15pm Many thanks for the replies. Think I'll go ahead and purchase, assuming all is well when I check it out in person. This will be the second most money I have spent on a 'used' item, after a car!

Ask the seller if they still have the original receipt. An item like that, people are likely to keep the receipt for.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Ulriken

Post by Ulriken »

nsew wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 7:36pm Money well spent, their tents ooze quality. One word of caution with the Nallo (& Nammatj) is that they’re not suited to a tall person (6ft plus) as the foot end is quite low resulting in condensation transferring to your bag from the fly.
Ah, this is good to know. I'm 6'3" (190/91cm). Thanks for the input.
Ulriken

Post by Ulriken »

[/quote]

Ask the seller if they still have the original receipt. An item like that, people are likely to keep the receipt for.
[/quote]

Thanks Vorpal. Yes, the seller has the original receipt.
horizon

Post by horizon »

My take on all this is that I would be a bit concerned if they provided (or I needed) a warranty on an £800.00 tent.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Have you read the manufacturer's warranty? I don't think it really offers much if anything to a purchaser beyond their statutory rights in the country where they purchased it. My interpretation is that they will fix faults in manufacture or materials which they expect to reveal themselves quickly (ie no "lifetime" warranties etc) and beyond that they will help with repairs for a fee. ie It's just a polite explanation that they are not a soft touch over wear and tear.

I don't know about consumer rights in Norway, but it's hard to imagine that it's acceptable anywhere to claim you were the original purchaser of something when you were not.

In the UK, your consumer rights as a private buyer of secondhand goods are limited.

https://hilleberg.com/eng/contact-suppo ... y-repairs/
nsew

Post by nsew »

Ulriken wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 9:32pm
nsew wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 7:36pm Money well spent, their tents ooze quality. One word of caution with the Nallo (& Nammatj) is that they’re not suited to a tall person (6ft plus) as the foot end is quite low resulting in condensation transferring to your bag from the fly.
Ah, this is good to know. I'm 6'3" (190/91cm). Thanks for the input.
Snap. If you do go ahead, as a solo camper you do have the diagonal. I think I’ve seen Hilleberg list the Niak as a diagonal sleeper, which has similar floor space, though that is marketed as a large solo tent.