Are Hilleberg tent warranties transferable

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ulriken

Re: Are Hilleberg tent warranties transferable

Post by Ulriken »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 10:15pm Have you read the manufacturer's warranty? I don't think it really offers much if anything to a purchaser beyond their statutory rights in the country where they purchased it. My interpretation is that they will fix faults in manufacture or materials which they expect to reveal themselves quickly (ie no "lifetime" warranties etc) and beyond that they will help with repairs for a fee. ie It's just a polite explanation that they are not a soft touch over wear and tear.

I don't know about consumer rights in Norway, but it's hard to imagine that it's acceptable anywhere to claim you were the original purchaser of something when you were not.

In the UK, your consumer rights as a private buyer of secondhand goods are limited.

https://hilleberg.com/eng/contact-suppo ... y-repairs/
Yes, I've read the warranty. And I'm sure you're correct to point out that there are limitations to a warranty after the tent has been purchased and checked. I just wanted to know whether or not I would be covered in the case of a broken pole or similar.
Ulriken

Post by Ulriken »

nsew wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 10:30pm
Ulriken wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 9:32pm
nsew wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 7:36pm Money well spent, their tents ooze quality. One word of caution with the Nallo (& Nammatj) is that they’re not suited to a tall person (6ft plus) as the foot end is quite low resulting in condensation transferring to your bag from the fly.
Ah, this is good to know. I'm 6'3" (190/91cm). Thanks for the input.
Snap. If you do go ahead, as a solo camper you do have the diagonal. I think I’ve seen Hilleberg list the Niak as a diagonal sleeper, which has similar floor space, though that is marketed as a large solo tent.
Just in case someone else is interested in all this, here's some information from Hilleberg on tents for tall people - https://hilleberg.com/eng/videos/tents-tall-people/. Watching this has muddied the waters!
horizon

Post by horizon »

thirdcrank wrote: 12 Jun 2021, 10:15pm Have you read the manufacturer's warranty? I don't think it really offers much if anything to a purchaser beyond their statutory rights in the country where they purchased it. My interpretation is that they will fix faults in manufacture or materials which they expect to reveal themselves quickly (ie no "lifetime" warranties etc) and beyond that they will help with repairs for a fee. ie It's just a polite explanation that they are not a soft touch over wear and tear.

I don't know about consumer rights in Norway, but it's hard to imagine that it's acceptable anywhere to claim you were the original purchaser of something when you were not.

In the UK, your consumer rights as a private buyer of secondhand goods are limited.

https://hilleberg.com/eng/contact-suppo ... y-repairs/
I'm not quite sure why the OP is so concerned about the warranty, which, as you say, probably isn't worth the paper it is written on. Of much more use surely is Hilleberg's concern for its reputation which should ensure that a genuine defect is put right whomsoever owns the item. And of course, their repair service. The OP is paying a premium for Hilleberg's reputation for quality and reliability; the seller is losing a margin due to the product now having an unknown past. The OP should ensure that there is sufficient "margin" to cover any possible losses. If the buyer can get a good price, the "warranty" is built in to that

A Hilleberg Nallo costs about three times as much (possibly eight times) as a similar tent of lower quality. I reckon a standard tent like a Vango would see the OP through this trip and much more besides. As I said, if you are concerned about a warranty then a Hilleberg is not for you.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have a Nallo (nominally 4 person version) that is now quite old and has seen a good bit of use, and apart from a very minor tear near a zip caused by me being careless with the zip the tent is as good as it was on day 1. The likelihood of needing to resort to any warranty is negligible.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... For a bit more - actually quite a bit more - I could buy an unused Hilleberg Nallo 2 from someone privately. ...
IMO, the question must be: "How does this come about?" It must be a rare circumstance and "little-used" might be more usual. It doesn't affect the warranty, of course, but it must give some indication of the likelihood of a problem.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I note that OP says he must get something within next 2 days for what sounds like a very wet trip.

My concern, whether buying new or secondhand, is taking untried kit on such a trip.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As has been mentioned upthread, argueable how much real-world use a warranty is, viz-ah-vee a tent. What you want, what you really really want, is a tent that doesn't fail. (Fun Spice Girls fact: Posh wasn't at the recording of Wannabe - apparently she was off on a shopping spree...)
Last edited by simonineaston on 13 Jun 2021, 10:10am, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The Nallo would be rather short for a 1.90 person. As for warranty, my experience with Hilleberg service has been stellar and I don't think they ever asked for the invoice.
For tall persons Helsport tents may be a good alternative. They are often a bit longer than Hilleberg, and quite a bit cheaper for similar quality. And they are Norwegian.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

.... my experience with Hilleberg service has been stellar ...
Does that mean you have made warranty claims?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I don't quite remember what it was for, but I wrote to them directly because the shop was not particularly forthcoming. They said send it to us directly. There was no charge even though the tent was not particularly new.
I think my biggest concern with a Nallo would be that the tent is not that long and the foot end is quite low. We have a Nammatj 3 that does not slope down as much and even that is only just long enough for my 1.77.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

That should be good news for the OP in the perhaps unlikely event that a fault in the manufacture or materials should become apparent.