Paraffin leak in cotton duck pannier

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
steve browne

Paraffin leak in cotton duck pannier

Post by steve browne »

Has anyone successfully dealt with this? or is anyone able to shed any light on whether it will still smell of paraffin years into the future?

I forgot to shut the pressure release valve on a vintage Primus stove and paraffin leaked onto the plastic bottom of my Carradice Super-C pannier. It has wicked up over the bottom 4"-6" of the canvas. I rubbed pure Castile liquid soap on the inside of the pannier, filled it with warm water and washed it out. Then left it in the sun to dry. It is no longer filling the room with a paraffin smell but I don't fancy eating any sandwiches that have sat inside it for any length of time.

I prefer not to do anything drastic which might bleach or alter the appearance of the pannier so it no longer matches its other half.

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments or suggestions.
Jdsk

Re: Paraffin leak in cotton duck pannier

Post by Jdsk »

As you've already washed it I'd do the same again, but with a detergent rather than soap. Warm is good.

Do you already have a preferred way of reproofing it?

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

There's several upholstery cleaning products that may work, some of them are basically DIY dry cleaning systems. I've used something similar on canvas marquees, in the days before they were all PVC, so at least twenty years ago...
Candle wax is I think a paraffin, searching for something to remove that might bring up some options and I suspect getting candle wax on fabric isn't uncommon.
I think the problem with anything water based is the risk of washing it in, it's the same with oil on synthetics (Like nearly every cycling jacket) the best idea is to dissolve and blot it off, without working it in, easier said than done.
You could of course ask Carradice, they might not know, but there's no harm in asking.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've never had quite this problem but turning the pannier inside out and leaving it at long as possible might help. I think the main point is the smell isn't coming from something like sweaty togs so it won't get worse with bacterial action.

In other circumstances I've had excellent results with bicarbonate of soda. I've only ever used it dissolved in water and I don't know if it would have any bleaching effect on cotton duck but I've just checked what people say online and it seems that an open pot of this standing in the article may work. It's one of those grandma-sucking-eggs things.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I was going to suggest bicarbonate of soda, as well.

The main problem with completely removing the odour, is that it is likely that some paraffin will remain in any seams or joints. You might improve your chances by using an old toothbrush & a paste of soda bicarbonate and water, and scrubbing the paste into and little nooks & crannies.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PH wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 2:01pm There's several upholstery cleaning products that may work, some of them are basically DIY dry cleaning systems. I've used something similar on canvas marquees, in the days before they were all PVC, so at least twenty years ago...
Candle wax is I think a paraffin, searching for something to remove that might bring up some options and I suspect getting candle wax on fabric isn't uncommon.
I think the problem with anything water based is the risk of washing it in, it's the same with oil on synthetics (Like nearly every cycling jacket) the best idea is to dissolve and blot it off, without working it in, easier said than done.
You could of course ask Carradice, they might not know, but there's no harm in asking.
The problem with upholstery cleaning products, and things that will remove candle wax is that they will also remove the waterproofing on Carradice cotton duck, which IIRC is treated with paraffin wax.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

You can, probably should, reproof the panniers with the appropriate wax, which you can get from Carradice or elsewhere.

I'd also ask Carradice how they suggest removing the paraffin. They are very helpful in response to queries.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

When I clean oil paint off brushes I get the paint off with neat white spirit (essentially the same as paraffin), then clean the white spirit off with neat Fairy Liquid, and finally rinse with cold water.

I think however you clean it you'll need to reproof the pannier as the initial leak will have affected it.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I wondered if having washed it you just leave it outside for ages. And ages.
John
PH

Post by PH »

Vorpal wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 3:00pm The problem with upholstery cleaning products, and things that will remove candle wax is that they will also remove the waterproofing on Carradice cotton duck, which IIRC is treated with paraffin wax.
Yes, maybe should have included that, though I'd taken it for granted that anything that effectively removed the spill will also remove the proofing.
steve browne

Post by steve browne »

I've emailed Carradice and ordered some of their proofing wax for when I get to that stage.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'd go with the principle of starting with the very least aggressive solvent first and cautiously working up - you might find a long long trickly rinse with plain water - I'm thinking some sort of shower-hose-in-bath setup here - might do the trick. However I note that the OP has already stepped carefully onto the ladder... my gran used to use Knight's Castile, with its "lovely scent & creamy lather"!
That said, I'm sure Carradice will be helpful - they seem that sort of company. Let us know what they say!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

Horse rug waterproofer or perhaps that can of stuff father used on cotton tent awnings, was Fab proof or fast proof or similar black tin orange writing.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Have you thought of trying Soda Crystals (washing soda) - Sodium Carbonate Decahydrate ? Odour free.
Wilko's do their own brand & you can get the linked Dri-Pak bags in most supermarkets, for about a pound, it specifically mentions cleaning grease and oil in the blurb here.
I use it to clean the fridge (dissolved in water) & to keep waste pipes free from grease. You can run it through your washing machine as well, this is an informative link listing it's many uses.
https://www.dri-pak.co.uk/cleaning-prod ... -crystals/
I'd fill the sink with a weak solution of the crystals and leave it to stand for a while, maybe give it a scrub with a stiff brush, it's not super agressive but gloves are advised.

Edit ; I've just washed a dirty Carradice saddlebag out using the above and got plenty of dirt out (judging by the colour of the water afterwards), rinsed thoroughly and currently outside drying on the line.
Nu-Fogey