Summer Tour 2021

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Heathbrook

Summer Tour 2021

Post by Heathbrook »

Due to the current situation, we have had to cancel our proposed trip
So, I need to get something in the diary or this year will be a write off
I was thinking of riding three permanent audaxes in three days
First night in Poole, the next day ride the Cycling New Forest “Isle of Wight E2E”
Then drive to somewhere like Lyme Regis
Next day ride the Ian Hennessy “Devon and Somerset”
Next day ride “Coach Roads and Coast Roads”
We are in our 60s and I wondered if anyone had experience of these routes.
Ido t want to beat my cycling buddies up too much!
Thanks for your help
MrsHJ

Re: Summer Tour 2021

Post by MrsHJ »

Anything Ian Hennessy designed will be scenic (aka hilly). The roads will be nice and quiet though. Pretty sure I did some of his audaxes back in the day and they were stunning. If you share links to the routes can be more precise.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

MrsHJ wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 7:16pm Anything Ian Hennessy designed will be scenic (aka hilly). The roads will be nice and quiet though. Pretty sure I did some of his audaxes back in the day and they were stunning. If you share links to the routes can be more precise.
The descriptions of the Audax routes are quite vague, I think you have to pay your entry to get the full route.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

The Isle of Wight End to End is a nice route with a bit less climbing than the usual round the island route. I would try to arrive at the Needles as early as possible as it is very busy at this time of year. Once you are past all the tourist rubbish at the bottom it is a cracking, car free, road but walkers tend to wander all over it and watch out for the open topped bus! Views are fabulous on a clear day.
The Lifeboat Cafe at the eastern end is currently being rebuilt but there are plenty of other eating options around Bembridge.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

st599_uk wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 11:09pm
MrsHJ wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 7:16pm Anything Ian Hennessy designed will be scenic (aka hilly). The roads will be nice and quiet though. Pretty sure I did some of his audaxes back in the day and they were stunning. If you share links to the routes can be more precise.
The descriptions of the Audax routes are quite vague, I think you have to pay your entry to get the full route.
I did a coast roads and coach roads audax many years ago - I just don’t know if it’s the same route. There were some well hilly sections around exmouth if i remember correctly. I also did a couple of fab audax routes on exmoor before I moved to devon- but have now been a resident for over 20 years.
Heathbrook

Post by Heathbrook »

With regard to the Isle of Wight E2E, it looks like there are a few cycle paths on the route. One in particular from Yarmouth to Freshwater. What sort of surfaces are they? Would they be suitable for road bike with 28 or 30mm tyres?
Thanks again
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Heathbrook wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 9:35pm With regard to the Isle of Wight E2E, it looks like there are a few cycle paths on the route. One in particular from Yarmouth to Freshwater. What sort of surfaces are they? Would they be suitable for road bike with 28 or 30mm tyres?
Thanks again
The surface is generally fine and it is a very pleasant path but it can get quite busy with dog walkers, horse riders, kids etc. It is shorter and much flatter than the road to Freshwater but if you are continuing to the Needles you will need to ride the same road up and down - not that that is a problem, it's much nicer from Freshwater than it is from Yarmouth which is a long drag on quite a busy road.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.