Best deals for roaming?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Re: EE - No More Free Mobile Roaming from January

Post by nirakaro »

willem jongman wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 12:17pm Ultimately, it all comes down to political preferences.
Indeed - there seems to be a basic difference in outlook. In the EU, things like railways and phone networks seem to be seen primarily as public services, which of course, but secondarily, have to cover their costs. In the UK they're seen primarily as sources of profit, which can be achieved by, secondarily, offering a public service.
Jdsk

No More Free Mobile Roaming

Post by Jdsk »

Interesting piece on the economics:
"Leave your phone at home: Why EU roaming charges will only increase for UK consumers"
https://www.cer.eu/insights/leave-your-phone-home

Directly addresses the argument that I mentioned upthread about it always having been unfairly subsidised and that the change will make the domestic market fairer.

And only the first half of the title lets it down, which is better than some.

Jonathan
mjr

Re: No More Free Mobile Roaming

Post by mjr »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Sep 2021, 9:26am Interesting piece on the economics:
"Leave your phone at home: Why EU roaming charges will only increase for UK consumers"
https://www.cer.eu/insights/leave-your-phone-home

Directly addresses the argument that I mentioned upthread about it always having been unfairly subsidised and that the change will make the domestic market fairer.

And only the first half of the title lets it down, which is better than some.

Jonathan
Key phrases include "it is wishful thinking to expect the UK market to become fairer overall. More likely, price-sensitive consumers will simply give up the convenience of roaming, and UK consumers who still roam will be lumped with high charges. " and "Both the wholesale and retail markets suffer from poor competition, however, leading to unfair pricing practices."

Phones seem like yet another failed Thatcher-Lawson Agenda market, with a limited number of monopoly suppliers for each service type and very high barriers to new entrants. After rail and gas, maybe Great British Telecom should be next for this government to set up? The Better British Broadband projects (I may have misremembered that name) were almost that: government making management contracts for areas not served commercially to a high enough standard.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The EU have agreed to extend free roaming for another 10 years. Lucky we are not involved.

"Members of the Industry, Research and Energy Committee have voted to extend the current “roam like home” legislation for another ten years, with additional provisions that guarantee consumers the same quality and speed of mobile connection as they would normally have at home.

In effect, this would prevent a host network from forcing a 5G user onto a 4G or 3G network when roaming."

Source techradar pro 15/10/22
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Going to cost me £2 a day when in IOM from next April. But my monthly fees from 3 are going down from £15 to £12 from today so by the time tt comes around in June I'll be quids in. :D
I am here. Where are you?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

simonhill wrote: 15 Oct 2021, 10:50pm The EU have agreed to extend free roaming for another 10 years. Lucky we are not involved.
You don't like "free" ("equal terms" is a better description I think) roaming?
I am surprised.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sarcasm. I'm English and it's often the way we express things.

If you want my blunt opinion, I am completely pi**ed off with Brexit and all its ramifications. It has upset me more than any other political decision that I can remember in my long life. I'm in Portugal at the moment, using up my 90 day limit. Travelling on a passport I had to renew early. Had to go through immigration, hassle with NHS cert., etc etc.

Nonetheless, glad to be leaving the UK with petrol queues food price increases, less stuff on shelves, shortages of everything from butchers to drivers.

I hope the 51% are happy, because I am not.
Last edited by simonhill on 16 Oct 2021, 10:00am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 9:53amSarcasm.
Yes, but it took me three goes.

; - )

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Added my extended explanation as edit while Johnathan was posting. Sorry.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

simonhill wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 10:06am Added my extended explanation as edit while Johnathan was posting. Sorry.
It is one of the most difficult areas of the written word to pick up, sacasm.
It's a help to have read many contributions, know one's interlocutor, so to speak.
Many cues of irony are gestural.

I knew you were also travelling and that's why I was surprised.
Have a great time.

Ps perhaps I am getting ever more like a well known forum member who takes everything literally!! :shock:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 16 Oct 2021, 12:29pm

Ps perhaps I am getting ever more like a well known forum member who takes everything literally!! :shock:
Yesterday, I worked my **** off, literally. When Mrs Ojw saw me her eyes popped out on stalks. My daughter jumped out of her skin. My son went through the roof.
John
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sorry for the confusion PDQ. I have steadfastly refrained from using emojis, preferring my language to talk. However, there are times when they can be useful.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Apologies if already posted by some (I don't read too closely all of such threads due to endlessly replaying brexit arguments) but

Asda mobile, which these days runs on top of Vodafone;

says:

If you have a bundle you can use it as you would do at home, as long as you're in one of the European destinations below.

big list.

More info here:

just scroll down.

https://mobile.asda.com/bundles#add_ons

<edited for typo/grammar>
Last edited by Sweep on 20 Oct 2021, 5:22am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
scragend

Post by scragend »

Sweep wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 12:13pm Apologies if already posted by some (I don't read too closely all of such threads to endlessly playing brexit arguments) but

Asda mobile, which these days runs on top of Vodafone;

says:

If you have a bundle you can use it as you would do at home, as long as you're in one of the European destinations below.

big list.

More info here:

just scroll down.

https://mobile.asda.com/bundles#add_ons
Smarty also does not charge extra for roaming in the EU. I pay £10 a month for unlimited calls, unlimited texts and 30GB data. I've just been to Germany and used far more data than I normally would but still well within my monthly allowance.

But it seems that shopping around is too hard for some people.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'd wait and see what they say post January.

Plenty of companies said they would hold till then. I am currently using my ee in Europe on a very basic package. I'll be surprised if this is still going next summer.