Best deals for roaming?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Psamathe

Re: EE - No More Free Mobile Roaming from January

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 10:57am Re the dual SIM thing, it used to be that most dual SIM phones only worked on one sim at a time (2 could be used on special expensive phones). If dual, you chose which at the time.

Is this still the case?
My iPhone 12 mini dual SIM system allows both SIMs to be active at the same time (you get weird signal strength indicators at the top). You can configure which contacts use which network, select/override on a per call basis, etc. and chose and switch which network is being used for data. One SIM is an eSIM (installing that was pretty straightforward). You can switch either SIM on and off at will (so on my phone I have both SIMS but one disabled most of the time).

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The EU have extended free roaming till 2032. There was some doubt because the telecom companies were trying to stop it, but it has now been agreed. Shame we ain't part of it.

https://www-politico-eu.cdn.ampproject. ... to-2032%2F
nirakaro

Best deals for roaming?

Post by nirakaro »

Now that we've finally recovered our total independence from the frenzied clutches of the crypto-fascist power freaks of the EUSSR, I'm delighted to see that I'll be able to spend £2 a day to use my phone on the continent, where there used to be no extra charge. Any recommendations for the best deals?
Jdsk

Re: Best deals for roaming?

Post by Jdsk »

nirakaro wrote: 5 Jan 2022, 6:39pmAny recommendations for the best deals?
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... re-8278084

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Depends what plan you have at the moment. I have a very basic EE plan that is still valid in EU. Not sure what will happen in March when EE stop roaming for plans taken out after July and new plans. I suspect they may scrap my plan, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Certainly the more expensive new EE plans have roaming 'included'. If you are away a lot, this could be an option.

I don't know about other providers, but I would be wary of anyone who says it is still included UNLESS you get a firm confirmation that it will continue. Some who say they still allow it don't give any assurance it will not be stopped some time soon.

You may be able to get a local SIM, but from what I've read these are getting harder to get without registration in some countries.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I was wondering for those of us who are only out of the country for say 4 weeks a year to get a cheap plan and then to pay £2 or whatever the lowest is per day to top up when in Europe.

I got my three sim only plan on the basis of roam worldwide that I wanted for the USA when travelling alone there for a couple of months. They’re even stopping that I think but I extended my contract for 2 years in September and it stated that all contract renewals would see out their contract with roaming so I hopefully don’t need to think about it for a couple of years.

£5 a day in the USA for the new go roam will add up fairly quickly so I’ll be looking to see if there are better options once my contract finishes.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mobil ... ing-calls/
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

BBC news site reporting that reason for slow implementation of changes is because
the billing systems not ready. Not much use for most as it is only end of Jan (Vodaphone) and March (EE).

They do say that O2 is only big company that hasn't announced an end to free roaming, so that's somewhere to start.

BBC News - Vodafone and EE delay EU roaming charges return
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-59881892
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I think Telefonica are currently in talks with Liberty Global to merge the O2 and Virgin Media brands.

Doubt anything will happen until that's sorted but hopefully being part of a European telco may help keep roaming. (although that didn't work with EE which is a joint venture between Deutsche Telekom and Orange (France Telecom))
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

'Phone roaming in the EU

Post by Jdsk »

"Vodafone and EE delay EU roaming charges return":
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-5 ... gn=KARANGA

Jonathan
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

The point mentioned in the articles about bundles is a good one- I’d rather pay for 15 days at £1 a day when I arrive in a country than £2 a day every time I use the phone (which will be every day as I’ll be on a cycle route or doing something away from Wi-Fi).
PDQ Mobile

Re: 'Phone roaming in the EU

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 9:46am "Vodafone and EE delay EU roaming charges return":
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-5 ... gn=KARANGA

Jonathan
For 3 weeks!
Not much really considering they all said at the time of the referendum, and afterwards, that they wouldn't change anything.

Simply complete liars.
As soon as the EU statutory requirement was gone they saw a cash cow to milk at the expense of UK travellers.
Taste that control and freedom.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Bundles etc may be OK for 2 or 3 week tour but plenty on here are away for months.

Also, check the conditions for the bundles. When EE announced them a while ago, I saw that they only applied to more expensive plans. Those on basic plans were stuck with a daily charge.

Plenty of time for changes and it won't be until the summer that this starts to affect Joe Public.

MODS I note you've added these last few posts from a new thread and changed the title. The old title was more generic to the problem, but did only mention EE. Changing to the new title has narrowed it down to Best Deals. Maybe change it to a general title on roaming would be better.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

simonhill wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 11:30am Bundles etc may be OK for 2 or 3 week tour but plenty on here are away for months.

Also, check the conditions for the bundles. When EE announced them a while ago, I saw that they only applied to more expensive plans. Those on basic plans were stuck with a daily charge.

Plenty of time for changes and it won't be until the summer that this starts to affect Joe Public.

MODS I note you've added these last few posts from a new thread and changed the title. The old title was more generic to the problem, but did only mention EE. Changing to the new title has narrowed it down to Best Deals. Maybe change it to a general title on roaming would be better.
I agree with both points.

I saw the change of title emphasis.
Wondered about it.
Jdsk

'Phone roaming in the EU

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 6 Jan 2022, 11:30amMaybe change it to a general title on roaming would be better.
I chose: 'Phone roaming in the EU

Jonathan

PS: Thanks for merging the threads.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Psamathe wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 4:54pmBUT, with the advent of dual-SIM phones I suspect ferry companies on-board shops will start stocking French or Dutch PAYG SIMs so you can get your data from an EU network.
Don't many (most/all?) European countries have much stricter rules on proving residency of the country to obtain a SIM?
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.