EV15, EV17 Combo

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mudglutton

EV15, EV17 Combo

Post by mudglutton »

Hi everybody!

I'm planning to do this trip from early Sep: CV19 permitting. I have toured extensively in the UK (NC500, Lands End to Dover, Anglesey to Ashford, KAW, Scottish Islands and others), but never in Europe. From Calais, I plan to follow EV5, then EV3 to join EV15 between Bonn and Remagen, then connect to EV 17 directly from EV15 or from Basel via EV3) and fly back from Marseille or Nice, depending on timings and what my legs have to say about an extra 3 days. I would appreciate any words of wisdom but specifically on the following:

1) Any comments on the best connector to Furkapass from Basel? Continue on EV 15, or taker the shorter EV 3 route? (both look to present about 3,000m of climbing, so it probably boils down to the best scenery and/or cycle routes).
2) Any comments on the starting route? I chose it on the basis that flat French countryside is probably more enjoyable than the industrialised north end of the Rhine?
3) Any bits you would shortcut out on the route?
4) Any worthy detours on the route?
5) Any places en-route that I should linger? (I tend to like scenery much more than art or architecture, but can be smitten by truly spectacular art and architecture).
6) I like to be flexible, so plan not to book. Accommodation is very roughly expected to be approx 80% camping, 10% hostels and 10% cheap hotels for showers and the modern essential of charging devices. How safe is it not to book ahead in Sept?
7) What is peoples' experience of bike security? Will a cheap, lightweight (deterrent only) cable lock generally suffice or will I need to carry a 3Kg monster that will withstand an assault by a small nuclear device?

Finally, any tips for stuff that the inexperienced may miss would also be appreciated.

Thank you. :)
Jdsk

Re: EV15, EV17 Combo

Post by Jdsk »

mudglutton wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 4:45pm5) Any places en-route that I should linger? (I tend to like scenery much more than art or architecture, but can be smitten by truly spectacular art and architecture).
We rode the EV15 S to N in 2019. Great fun, apart from the heat.

Köln
Karlsruhe
The European Parliament (we had breakfast there)
Neuf-Brisach

The food, the drink and the culture of Alsace.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 25 Jun 2021, 2:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mudglutton wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 4:45pm6) I like to be flexible, so plan not to book. Accommodation is very roughly expected to be approx 80% camping, 10% hostels and 10% cheap hotels for showers and the modern essential of charging devices. How safe is it not to book ahead in Sept?
In normal times I like to book one night ahead. In these times, who knows?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mudglutton wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 4:45pm7) What is peoples' experience of bike security? Will a cheap, lightweight (deterrent only) cable lock generally suffice or will I need to carry a 3Kg monster that will withstand an assault by a small nuclear device?
We keep all valuables in bar bags that always come with us. The bikes and the rest of the luggage are locked with non-spectacular D-locks and cables. But there are two of us which often makes it easier.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 6:06pm
mudglutton wrote: 24 Jun 2021, 4:45pm6) I like to be flexible, so plan not to book. Accommodation is very roughly expected to be approx 80% camping, 10% hostels and 10% cheap hotels for showers and the modern essential of charging devices. How safe is it not to book ahead in Sept?
In normal times I like to book one night ahead. In these times, who knows?

Jonathan
Particularly in Germany where most "camp sites" seem to be more permanently occupied chalets or static caravans on plots purchased long term by the occupant. Most I sites I stayed at had minimal space for tents (a few had none!). So it might only take a small increase in domestic camping to overfill those few spaces (there were one or two exceptions).

Ian
ossie

Post by ossie »

I've done EV15 from The Hook of Holland down to Basel then back up EV 6 to St Malo.

Firstly I wouldn't dismiss the Industrial part of EV15. Duisberg, Dusseldorf, Koln are all fascinating cities and following the Rhine you really do see the best of them. The route is safe, well used and clearly marked. That said I guess if you're coming from Calais you're obviously keen to cut off a corner but Harwich / Hook is a favourite for many. I haven't done EV17, if you look on crazyguy Paul smith (psmiffy) has done it in twice in his journals here, including a route from Calais / Dunkirk I believe to Rhine Falls via EV15 then down EV17

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/directo ... smiffy&v=S

No real need to book camping ahead in September, certainly in Germany and France many sites will be empty. Do check however as certainly in Germany they start closing towards the mid / end of the month, likewise in France municipals close on a whim although you can often still use them, just without the facilities. Other accommodation is cheap and plentiful. Use booking.com or just ask in a bar.

My bike security is basic, I use a long cable with a normal weatherpoof padlock. I've never had an issue on a European campsite in a decade although I tend to avoid the busy, tourist ones. In town it rarely leaves my sight, in a hotel its either in my room or a secure lockup.

Best of luck, I love the planning part.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Depending on which customs officers are on when you arrive, be aware that if you're a British Citizen you now need proof of funds, which are significantly higher if you haven't booked accommodation. If passing through French Customs, it is 60 Euros per day if you have accommodation and 12 if not. You'll also need an exit ticket.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

st599_uk wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 12:18pm Depending on which customs officers are on when you arrive, be aware that if you're a British Citizen you now need proof of funds, which are significantly higher if you haven't booked accommodation. If passing through French Customs, it is 60 Euros per day if you have accommodation and 12 if not. You'll also need an exit ticket.
Is that actually being enforced? I ask only as loads of countries have requirements on funds, return tickets & accommodation and I've crossed plenty of such borders without any of those and never been asked about any of it. Of course that does not mean EU countries will ignore those rules (particularly as the UK seems to be doing everything at can to antagonise the EU).

Ian
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

It is at some border crossings. I know a few people traveling for work that have been asked.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

st599_uk wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 3:01pm It is at some border crossings. I know a few people traveling for work that have been asked.
UK must have really antagonised other countries for that to be enforced! So many countries specify it and I've never been checked at any border, only once when checking in for a flight (and I just declared it didn't apply to me bfor some technical reason and the check-in staff didn't bother checking further).

Ian
mudglutton

Post by mudglutton »

Thanks all. I really appreciate all the replies: what a great community this is. As ossie states above, the planning stage is great and while the web and other guides are great, I think the benefit of other peoples' experience is probably the most valuable thing of all. If anyone has crossed the Alps by both EV15 and EV3, I'd love to hear your thoughts on their relative merits: they both sound brilliant and I'm finding it impossible to choose.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I’ve done a lot of EV17 and will be covering the bits I’ve missed inc the Furkapass in September I hope. It’s a lovely route and easy- there are bits you can miss eg round Lyon- are you going east or west when you hit the med? I went west last time and flew home from Beziers. This time I’m going east to Marseille.

I have a map that I need to check that shows the connectors but I think it’s just france. Having said that train or roads should be fine in Switzerland.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

No I don’t really book ahead but I sometimes book my destination for the evening once I figure out how far I’m going that night. Fond memories (not really)) pre internet of aiming for a spot on the map only to find the campsite has now closed and then tooling around looking for alternatives. This September I’m planning on hotels I think. Might not take a tent as the EV17 is very well served with accommodation.

I don’t bother with much bike security at campsites- just a lightweight lock for a deterrent and all the valuables in the tent with me. My bike is fairly mature and functional though so isn’t obviously appealing.