National cycle route 21, 4 and 41 on a folding bike after lots of rain?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Lillywheels

National cycle route 21, 4 and 41 on a folding bike after lots of rain?

Post by Lillywheels »

Hello,

In a few days I'm looking to set of on a tour from Eastbourne to Gloucester on this route:

Eastbourne to Greenwich on route 21
Greenwich to Bristol on route 4
Bristol to whitminster, Gloucester on route 41

It would seem that about 40% of the whole journey is cycle paths.

I'll be doing it on a 20 inch wheel folding bike (Tern byb) with panniers that are about 3 inches of the ground!

Does anyone know the state of these cycle paths and if they are smooth? I'm a bit worried by all the rain we have resently had.
foxyrider

Re: National cycle route 21, 4 and 41 on a folding bike after lots of rain?

Post by foxyrider »

The bits of 4 that i've ridden (from @ Devizes west) has all been surfaced, It can get a little squidgy in places along the canal but quite doable in any weather on your combo. Route 41, Bristol to Gloucester is mostly on quiet lanes with a bit of semi surfaced towpath thrown in, again, all very rideable although there is sometimes some local flooding on the roads after heavy rain.

Good luck with your ride.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Yep - there's lots of towpath on NCN 4 (and a few lesser bits on NCN 41) but that means it'll be gravel with puddles, rather than mud. Your pannier will get mucky but that's par for the course!

I'm not sure what the current state of NCN 41 along the Avon Gorge is - that's a wooded unpaved path so maybe a bit stickier. It'll probably be ok but you could always take NCN 4 through Bristol out towards Severn Beach instead.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
mjr

Post by mjr »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 25 Jun 2021, 9:06pm I'm not sure what the current state of NCN 41 along the Avon Gorge is - that's a wooded unpaved path so maybe a bit stickier. It'll probably be ok but you could always take NCN 4 through Bristol out towards Severn Beach instead.
Or go through the gorge on the A4 cycleway. Noisier but still great views.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Lillywheels

Post by Lillywheels »

Thank you all! I'm going to go for it. It does sound doable. I kind of forgot that I can just join a road if needed too!

I have rode on uneven path before with the panniers. I just need to remember that they are there and slowdown as needed. Actually, thinking of it, I bash them more when on the road as I often curb them.

Thanks again :D
Attachments
IMG_20210515_173446.jpg
TelMel

Post by TelMel »

How was it?
I'm looking to do the 21 from Greenwich to Eastbourne this weekend. Any tips?