What cycle tours are you planning and excited about doing , that are on hold because of covid?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Lillywheels

What cycle tours are you planning and excited about doing , that are on hold because of covid?

Post by Lillywheels »

Where are you going (or thinking about going) and when do you think you can go?
simonhill

Re: What cycle tours are you planning and excited about doing , that are on hold because of covid?

Post by simonhill »

Last winter was meant to be:

5 weeks Japan;
5 weeks Thai peninsula;
2 months Vietnam to Thailand via Cambodia.

In summer a short tour from Bordeaux to somewhere south-ish.

I will resurrect when possible.

What I've actually done:
4 day Travelodge and Wetherspoons tour of E Anglia.
willem jongman

Re: What cycle tours are you planning and excited about doing , that are on hold because of covid?

Post by willem jongman »

I was planning to try the new super easy cycle route from Maastricht to the South of France that I had planned to do last Spring. This is a slightly boring but almost completely flat route that people can alledgedly do with just about any bike. I have recommended it on my cycle touring for beginners web site and felt that I should try for myself. Sadly once again it seems a bad idea. We planned to also do some touring in Italy this summer but I am less and less inclined.
So maybe like last year when I rode from Stralsund to Groningen I will try Germany again - this time perhaps the Eiffel for some climbing.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

I had a number of possible mini-tours planned out (take train to somewhere then ride back home over several days) but hadn't set a date for any of them. All on the back burner until the pandemic is properly over which is going to be at least another two years. Meanwhile I can get all the exercise I need pottering around the local lanes.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Just been adding some rides on to my work trips so seen some areas I'd never normally think of going to. Was meant to be in Tokyo for work last summer, but that got canned.

Had planned a ride along the Rhine from source to sea, meeting a few friends along the route. Be nice to speak to them face to face rather than via Zoom. Will do that ASAP.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Abandoned several modest UK tours: Arran/Islay/Jura, Glen Feshie, Northumberland 250, Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh, John Muir west to east of Scotland.

I am moving house this year so will just be doing day trips to get to know my new area.
John
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cycling through "fietsparadijs" Limburg, including the famous cycling through water, through heath and through trees, then back to the Hook ferry via Baarle and Breda. Was booked for May 2020, then postponed, then cancelled. One day...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I hadn't got much beyond the dreaming stage in spring '20 so I didn't actually have any set plans. 2020 would most likely have been north east Germany then later mid/east Austria with a return to Sweden's east coast for 2021. Those ideas have returned to the pot for now, to avoid disappointment i'm not currently contemplating much more than a couple of 'micro' tours this year, the optimist in me says i'll be in Germany next year but the pessimist is loath to actually plan anything. :(
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I'd planned in May 2020 a fourth stage of my slow ride up the Rhine on my Brompton, Speyer to Basel, staying at Youth Hostels. Not sure I'll ever get round to that now. In 2020 my only cycle tour was from my front door in Nottingham to Leicestershire then Northamptonshire/Cambridgeshire for a long weekend. I did have a lovely time, and in the circumstances it will, I think, be one of my more memorable tours. And though I missed longer tours (I say longer - I can't get away for more than 10 days anyway) I did do a lot more local cycling, teamed with a long fascination with wildflowers that most years I don't have time to pursue. So silver linings...
This year I've already had two local-ish weekends away at Camping & Caravan Club sites, one so wet my phone will never be the same again (but again, the sense of escape will make it a fond memory), the other nice and warm. I'm looking forward to another weekend at a C&CC site in a couple of weeks, using trains this time, and in early September I'm planning a week in North Wales, the nearest to a foreign country this year!
My first tour abroad - I hope in May 2022 - may well be to the Netherlands, using the Harwich to Hook of Holland ferry. They were so good about refunding my bookings in 2020 I want to repay them asap! Less so DeutschBahn... I don't think I care where, just being there... but the Maas/Meuse appeals. That could get me through Belgium and into France too... And I'm going to tell work I need 2 weeks...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Heading at rocket speed towards ending full-time work, I've revisted thinking about LEJoG, but judging by my cycling performance at the mo' that's just a pipe-dream - or else maybe something to aim for...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

I’ve got the Fred Whitton route planned in 2 weeks time. Doing it over 2 days. Supposed to be going to Majorca in September - we’ll see.
On the plus side, the staycation has made me explore more routes from my front door and do longer rides to maintain variety & motivation. Also been riding out with my wife on the tandem for evening pub meals. Because of this I haven’t felt that I’ve been missing out that much if at all.
Lillywheels

Post by Lillywheels »

Great to read these dreams and plans. Hopefully things will return to normal soon. I expect things will be back to normal here in the UK before a lot of other places.

I'm new to cycle touring and am keen to do some big tours abroad, for now I'm enjoying small local tours.

My dream is to do a month in India. I'm ready to go as soon as it's possible.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Lillywheels wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 10:51amHopefully things will return to normal soon. I expect things will be back to normal here in the UK before a lot of other places.
It might be worth keeping an eye on "Europe July.????":
viewtopic.php?p=1616950#p1616950

Jonathan
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Forget about Europe for a while, and even more so India. In the first case it is because Britain has a high rate of infections with the delta variant and Europe wants to keep that out for as long as possible. In the case of India, it would be unwise given the high rate of infections there.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Now my home move has taken place I am starting to think about doing a modest weeks tour later in the year. Taking a leaf out of Mick Fs book it will have a purpose. A credit card tour of England south of the M4 exploring all the Roman sites I can find. Roman Britain has always fascinated me. I will read up on everywhere I plan to visit because sites like Silchester can be quite disappointing.The landscape in between sites will be what it will be.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......