What cycle tours are you planning and excited about doing , that are on hold because of covid?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
willem jongman

Re: What cycle tours are you planning and excited about doing , that are on hold because of covid?

Post by willem jongman »

As a professional I really like the OS map of Roman Britain.
beeb

Re: What cycle tours are you planning and excited about doing , that are on hold because of covid?

Post by beeb »

we would like to somehow get to Budapest, then ride the Danube to source then pick up the Rhine and ride to the sea.

We would get the ferry from Newcastle, then need to somehow get to Budapest.

First of course we'll need to get the train or cycle from the North of Scotland to Newcastle, hoping we can go by train from Inverness.

Still to look into the continental trains properly, but some useful posts on here helpful.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The Deutsche Bahn train planner is excellent. However, my hunch is that it will be quite a while before travellers from the UK will again be allowed in. This can only happen I fear if and when the delta variant will be as dominant in the EU as it is in the UK, or when the UK infection rate will be much lower again, and even then I guess only vaccinated travellers will be let in.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

willem jongman wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 3:42pm The Deutsche Bahn train planner is excellent.
Agreed, and in case anyone doesn't know already... it has a filter for bike transport and doesn't only cover Germany.
https://www.bahn.com/en

I also find The Man in Seat 61 very helpful. And please let him know if you discover anything interesting:
https://www.seat61.com

Jonathan
oldun

Post by oldun »

I am planning just to load my bike , tent and camping gear onto my car and drive to Turkey . I would like to install myself on a campsite and just do some touring for a couple of days , move on and repeat the process . My first place to aim for would be the Cappadoccia region and then maybe to the coast on the med for a few more "tours "

There are ferries from Italy to either Albania or Greece for about £100 inc car (one way ) and i plan to go in September if allowed . At the moment i am just assembling my camping gear which has not been used for 3 or 4 years and doing maintenance jobs on the car .

Like many people ,i feel the need just to go somewhere and do something ....lets hope it all comes to fruition . :)

I had planned the Via de la Plata route in Spain from Cadiz but i hear the albergues are reluctant to open on these camino routes.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

We did a car tour in Albania and were glad it was a rental car. It was a wonderful trip, however, so we planned a repeat by bike the next year, but could not because I had a profesional meeting in Rome right in the middle of the planned trip. So we toured in Italy instead. We still want to go back to Albania - but not this year.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Did something similar about 20 years ago. Was great, but the car insurance and Carnet for crossing into Asia was a bit eye watering.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Had to cancel a trip to the Dutch bulb fields in spring 2020.

Who knows, 2022?
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I grew up in the area - I think they are boring. Mind you, such monocultures require a lot of poison.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

But the economic history is fascinating...

: - )

Jonathan
jacobean

Post by jacobean »

Jdsk wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 12:15pm But the economic history is fascinating...

: - )

Jonathan
I agree. The Dutch have perhaps the most interesting history of any nation in Europe.

A nation that literally stopped the tide from coming in.

An amazingly resilient and inventive country with some amazing people.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

The most successful period was undoubtedly the 17-18th century. Thisis probably the best book on that: https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/fi ... E1F0606D85
After this, the Industrial Revolution came late, and only at the very end of the nineteenth century. The real modern succcess story only started after WWII with the integration of the European market which allowed us to benefit from our location like we did in the 17-18th century.
jacobean

Post by jacobean »

willem jongman wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 3:14pm The most successful period was undoubtedly the 17-18th century. Thisis probably the best book on that: https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/fi ... E1F0606D85
After this, the Industrial Revolution came late, and only at the very end of the nineteenth century. The real modern succcess story only started after WWII with the integration of the European market which allowed us to benefit from our location like we did in the 17-18th century.
I must check that book out. Seems v. interesting. Thanks.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

My dad and I had planned on a Scotland tour following our wotr trip.
Covid has put a big dent in that. Not to mention my complete loss of interest in cycling. I think covid may be responsible for that too.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.