Bike insurance and locks

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
beeb

Bike insurance and locks

Post by beeb »

Two questions:

How many of you take bike insurance out?

It seems to cost about 10% of the value of the value of the bike.

What sort of locks do you use when touring?

Heavy D locks or something lighter?

We tend to tour in rural areas using campsites.

Thoughts?
Cowsham

Re: Bike insurance and locks

Post by Cowsham »

Covered in my house insurance -- doesn't matter where it gets stolen from ie doesn't have to be a theft from my property it can be out on a ride, camping etc. Covers damage due to accident too.
I am here. Where are you?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There's a vast amount on all those aspects in the archives, and hints for stations, museums etc.

We carry D-locks and cables. All of the valuables are kept in bar bags which always go with us. There are usually two of us which helps enormously.

Jonathan
beeb

Post by beeb »

thanks Jonathon, I'll have a look
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Covered at modest cost by house insurance, which stipulates that I use a gold standard lock and that the bike is always locked to an immovable object, even when in the shed.
John
ossie

Post by ossie »

beeb wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 6:58am Two questions:

It seems to cost about 10% of the value of the value of the bike.

Heavy D locks or something lighter?

We tend to tour in rural areas using campsites.

Thoughts?
I've never taken out bike Insurance. For a lock I use a long cable and a normal waterproof padlock. In relation to where you tour (similar to me) cycle theft is quite rare in rural areas (but obviously not improbable). The larger commercial type sites with static accommodation / pool etc (that I avoid) can suffer cycle theft issues but in my experience these bikes were usually left unlocked, out of sight etc and they tend to go for the blingy stuff.

I do take various precautions however (mainly common sense) simply because it would be an inconvenience to get my mode of transport stolen.

Additionally my two touring bikes aren't worth as much as others. I guess the value of the bike is a huge factor, just like anything really.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 9:41am Covered at modest cost by house insurance, which stipulates that I use a gold standard lock and that the bike is always locked to an immovable object, even when in the shed.
Mine is on house insurance too. Only stipulates locked to an immovable by a key-operated lock, no iffy standard. I take a D for the frame and rear wheel, and an alarmed cable for the front, but I do stop to look around towns and attractions, unlike some on here.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

Yes, with TSB pick and Protect, a stand alone policy. Premium is based on the most expensive bike and all others in the household are covered. Cost works out around 6% of the most valuable or less than 2% of the overall value. You can get an online quote on their website, I live in a medium risk area, though my bikes are stored inside, you can change the premium by accepting a higher excess, mine is £200. Policy specifies locked to an immovable object but not the lock used.

If I'm going to be with the bike nearly all the time, I use a 1.5kg chain, if I'm likely to be leaving the bike outside tourist attractions I use a decent D lock which is a bit heavier. The choice isn't specifically about the weight, it's because it's often easier to find something to lock to with a chain, particularly at campsites.
oldtimer99

Post by oldtimer99 »

I seem to remember the TSB policy specifically excludes any electric steed