Way of the Roses camping

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tinribs

Way of the Roses camping

Post by tinribs »

Anyone recommend any good campsites along this route? Thinking of doing it over 3 days in a few weeks.
Vantage

Re: Way of the Roses camping

Post by Vantage »

I'll get back to you on this. My dad and I did it over 5 days last year and stayed at a few nice sites.
Busy day ahead but I'll dig up the sites we used.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Near Appletreewick is Howarth Farm. Very quiet and nice owners. http://howarthfarm.co.uk/

East of York, North of Murton near the A64 is Moor Lane Farm. Again very quiet with pleasant owners. There's a little bit of road noise but more a bit of a hum than real noise.

Both sites are Caravan & Camping Club certificated but as a cyclist you'll have no problems getting a pitch. We weren't even asked for proof of membership.

Prices are £7.50 for Howarth Farm and Moor Lane Farm wasn't much more but I can't get actual details of it (no longer a C&cc member).

Enjoy the climb out of Settle. It's a monster :lol:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

I don’t know the plans for the final night, but if they are not to travel home you might consider Wold Farm, Flamborough a few miles north of Bridlington.

https://www.woldfarmcampsite.com/

From Dixe Wills writing in the Guardian ‘Small wonders: Britain's tiny campsites’:
A site for lovers of open fields and big skies. Wold Farm stands in wondrous isolation on Flamborough head, with uninterrupted views to two lighthouses. Stroke the farm's donkeys, help feed the sheep, or take the private footpath to the cliffs to look for puffins, gannets and skuas. Come the evening, there are no fewer than 13 pubs within walking distance, so do pace yourself.
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2010 ... uk-camping
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

A few years ago after completing my WoR ride I had some difficulty finding a campsite in Bridlington. It seems that many of the sites are "Families only" and did not want to take a booking from a single male. I ended up in a B&B.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

keyboardmonkey wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 8:21pm I don’t know the plans for the final night, but if they are not to travel home you might consider Wold Farm, Flamborough a few miles north of Bridlington.
I was looking at Wold Farm as a base for a few days bird watching at Bempton. Are they actually taking tents ATM? I can't work out from their web site if they are or they aren't.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Vantage wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 2:47pm Near Appletreewick is Howarth Farm. Very quiet and nice owners. http://howarthfarm.co.uk/
+1
Nice place.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

PaulaT wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 7:43am
keyboardmonkey wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 8:21pm I don’t know the plans for the final night, but if they are not to travel home you might consider Wold Farm, Flamborough a few miles north of Bridlington.
I was looking at Wold Farm as a base for a few days bird watching at Bempton. Are they actually taking tents ATM? I can't work out from their web site if they are or they aren't.
There is a phone number on their web site. It's a lovely area, well worth a phone call to find out about permitted campers.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

PaulaT wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 7:43am I was looking at Wold Farm as a base for a few days bird watching at Bempton. Are they actually taking tents ATM? I can't work out from their web site if they are or they aren't.
Phone 'em ???
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

keyboardmonkey wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 8:39pm
PaulaT wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 7:43am
There is a phone number on their web site. It's a lovely area, well worth a phone call to find out about permitted campers.
It's probably too late now for this year.The breeding season is coming to an end and we're heading into peak holiday time. Fingers crossed for next year.
tinribs

Post by tinribs »

Thanks for all the suggestions!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Bempton cliffs albatross makes return to Yorkshire coast

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-57683184

This may affect current visitor numbers.