Why we should stop obsessing about weight

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nsew

Re: Why we should stop obsessing about weight

Post by nsew »

Lillywheels wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 11:00am This video, has made me very happy. I can now see that I don't need to obsess about saving weight and can take more of the things I need to make my trips more pleasant.

[youtube)] https://youtu.be/sDzMrbJTK-U[/youtube]
The more you take, the more time and energy you’ll spend locating items, unpacking and packing. On a mobile journey, moving day to day, carrying excess quickly becomes a real chore. The trick is to simplify then over time reduce weight (add lightness) and bulk without sacrificing ease of use and durability.
Last edited by nsew on 30 Jun 2021, 1:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Less is more remains my principle.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

The problem with not obsessing about weight is that whilst a small amount of extra weight might not be noticeable it all adds up to a weight which is very noticeable indeed.
djb

Post by djb »

Re how strong you are.

Of course weight is easier on every slight climb and start, so being aware of adding this and that is pretty obvious.

But I certainly notice that on longer trips, one gets stronger and stronger, and within reason, a bit more here and there is less of an issue when we are stronger.

But also , this Alex guy is young and really strong, and most of us here are old geezers who don't tour that much, so there's that.

In the end, I'm sure most of us with lots of riding and touring experience are quite aware of weight differences, and notice the effect, but are able to assess and judge what extra weight of x or y is worth it to us for comfort, or a better sleep or whatever.

We are also acutely aware of food and water weight, although it does make me chuckle of shopping for food on a trip with my wife, and eventually having to say, sure but you carry it, as her assessment of what to get was based on me carrying it all, and her not being aware of how lorry truck heavy my bike would get. Pretty typical "car centric shopper" mentality.
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Never actually obsessed or even worried a little bit about weight

If you need it you need it. Most just in case stuff can generally be left at home. In large parts of the world food and water is easy to get as you go along. There are shops where you can buy that extra woolly pully if things turn cold

Most of us will still live if we run out of food for a day or even longer. Water not so. Maybe not fun but survivable. It's just moving out of our comfort zone. Same with a bad night's sleep. Why try and duplicate a kitchen fridge & store cupboards and bedroom on the road?

Cold and wet are big risks. Good waterproofs and some 'warm' gear count as 'needs'. I'm prepared to get cold but always have a strategy for getting warm and dry again. Why try and recreate a centrally heated house on the road?

The lightest kit on the market doesn't always last long but much does. Often expensive at the time. My Saunders Jetpacker still works after 40 years and a down sleeping bag that is 45 years old still gets regular use

Someone I know set off to walk the Pennine Way two years ago. Wild camping as they went. Took enough food for the first half with a food drop sorted for the second. Every contingency covered. After a wild camp, the day two walk was to the nearest bus stop