shropshire union canal

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
rich2j

shropshire union canal

Post by rich2j »

Hi,

I am planning on doing some multi day rides up the Shropshire Union canal starting from Wolverhampton and heading to Nantwich and Llangollen. Just wondered if anyone has any information and/or photos of the state of the towpath. From years ago i remember it being quite rutted and rough. Does anyone know if its cut or overgrown?
pwa

Re: shropshire union canal

Post by pwa »

It is quite rough and very muddy in places, or was a few years ago when we took a canal boat holiday there. MTB rather than road bike I think.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Indeed, and there haven't been any towpath upgrades since then. The sections through the cuttings are pretty much unfixable without spending vast amounts of money - water goes down the cutting sides and puddles on the towpath. Given that it's an area with a surfeit of lovely country lanes, there wouldn't be much point in resurfacing it.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

47048A9B-3280-4C44-A213-892FD9305DF7.png
Courtesy of Foxes Afloat on YouTube I get to see a lot of canal paths. The Shropshire never looks good.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

The section from Chirk to Llangollen is surfaced and has now been adopted as a sustrans route. In places there are tree roots under the tarmac, which make the surface bumpy, but overall its ok, best with bigger tyres. From the A483 (Lion Quays) to Chirk has recently been resurfaced - Rhoswiel, Chirk bank etc, so is good. From Welsh Frankton to St Martins, a bit bumpy, dry at the moment but very nice and scenic...I cycle all of these sections regularly on rough stuff tourer/mountain bikes, but I cant help you with the other sections - maybe someone else can help? ...or link the ride in with quiet lanes using 'cycle-travel' journey planner?