CTC Holidays and Tours to Cease Trading

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PH

Re: CTC Holidays and Tours to Cease Trading

Post by PH »

merseymouth wrote: 7 Jul 2021, 4:04pm Great to see that the Pilbeams continue as "Cycling For Us", brilliant!
I'm pretty sure that should be "Cycling With Us"
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Oops, senior moment, again! Even screwed up the e:mail address when I tried to contact them :oops: :oops: :oops:
They say bicycle, I ride tricycle, with motor so wondered if I can attend? TTFN MM
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Tiggertoo wrote: 8 Jul 2021, 3:45pmShouldn't you be looking for a motorbike gang to ride with? I suspect this forum is for people who ride for exercise.
A bit naughty that. MM has decades of experience and now finds the ASSISTANCE of an electric MOTOR beneficial.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Tiggertoo, Ouch! Are you a Puritan or a Purist?
You obviously don't understand the concept of "Assistance", which is what a 250 watt Bafang Motor is for.
But to explain my need for assistance read on - In Feb 2017I underwent a very, very long operation to remove my oesophagus, tumour.
Whilst in recovery from that I was hit with shingles, drat. But shingles can trigger a stroke, which it did, double drat. Medication ordered.
Whilst they tried to trace the stroke site, so a CAT scan was carried out. Not clear enough so a MRI scan was ordered. Yes, found it, minor, no longer active. But that was when they found the brain tumour, triple drat. More medical attention and multiple tests determined it was of the benign variety, Back two and a half times drat. So medication for life, however short.
Next came the Anaemia, extreme! That was caused by a side effect of the stroke medication, which is the creation or exacerbation of stomach ulcers. Think that makes it three and a half times drat?
To check them out I had more endoscopy's, one of which caused me to take a tumble, during which I happened to snap a little finger at the knuckle end. Make that four times drat.
Are you squirming comfortably? Of course them then finding kidney stones, which required surgical removal was yet another bummer, but hey at 72 years of aged still have a pulse :lol:
So Tiggertoo, do you think I am deserving of a little electric help or not? Not that your opinion is worth that much!
As I've known Tatanab for more years than he likes to remember, so he was trying to spare you from my displeasure. I take that as to be spoiling my fun! Always open the mind before opening the mouth :wink: TTFN MM
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Dear sensitive Tiggertoo, I didn't realize that I by trying to keep as active as I can whilst enduring a litany of medical issues, many of which by themselves would call a halt to my cycling. I try to get through with humour, in a self deprecating way, but you would appear to take it upon yourself to be the arbiter of what is acceptable, or not, in the broad spectrum that is modern cycling.
Your rather narrow outlook would certainly deplete the ranks of those who attempt to keep mobile in a cycling sort of way, maybe because you have been fortunate enough not to have been hit bit serious medical issues?
My cycling circle includes a fair old mix, oops, multi-age mix of individuals, many with issues such as loss of a lower limb, or loss of the use of an upper limb, blindness, paralysis from the waist down, CP and many other issues! They just get on with doing the best they can within their limitations, grin and bear it sums it up!
I object most strongly to the behaviour of a minority of people who ignore sensible controls over vehicles which may be used in safety in society, some folk don't give a toss about such limitations. So we face an uphill battle to maintain our place on the road. Illegal E:Scooters, over wattage E:Motors on cycles, even a local idiot who uses n E:Unicycle? I jest ye not, even rides it in pedestrian areas!
I've toured with the Pilbeams on a number of occasions, with Pam riding her leg powered cycles, then at other times with an E:Assist motor, as I say some of us need help.
If you don't Bully For You. But if the need should arise in your life that you find you need to get a little help, then you may come to see a more tolerant view is required? If the terrain is suitable I might use one of my leg only powered trikes, if it looks lumpier then the motor-assist trike will get the job. What you won't find me astride of is one of the "Fall Over" type machines, the ubiquitous Bicycle, forgot to mention I have balance and hearing issues as well, can't hear how loud I talk, hence the Mersey Mouth Sobriquet! Gobby I am , Stupid I'm not. Pax MM