flixbus

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Flixbus

Post by robing »

Just seen this recommended for European coach travel in the latest Cycle magazine. Compared with Bike Express it's a fraction of the price and has many more routes. However, I believe you can't take bikes on the bus from the UK. Does anyone have experience of using Flixbus?
mjr

Re: Flixbus

Post by mjr »

Searching this site for flixbus suggests that some have used them to get from the non-UK side of channel ports to various places. The buses to/from the UK are operated by Eurolines who apparently still won't take bikes.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

They will take bikes on racks attached to the outside of the bus between March and November, as I understand it, but double check on their site. It also mentions taking full sized bikes in the hold if they're in a bag. I had problems with this when I booked a couple of years ago. I got conflicting information from their customer service dept. and took my folder in the end because of the ambiguity.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Would not fancy putting my machine on the back of the bus, outside
Better to go by train
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Would not fancy putting my machine on the back of the bus, outside
Better to go by train

I'm inclined to agree with that. I considered Flixbus to get to Narbonne last year - I decided the train was a better way.
Using Flixbus meant a long time on a coach- obviously the train is more expensive - of course if I'd been young my choice may have been for the cheaper option.
As for a coach rear rack I don't think I'd want to risk it - but then I no longer carry bikes on the outside of my car.
beeb

flixbus

Post by beeb »

Has anyone any experience of using this service?

https://www.flixbus.co.uk/service/bike-travel
Jdsk

Re: flixbus

Post by Jdsk »

Lots in the archives, including some individual experiences:
search.php?keywords=flixbus

Jonathan
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Topics merged
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
CMAW

Post by CMAW »

I've used Flixbus a few times and would recommend it, but with caution. Most buses with bike racks ride in or from Germany. Last two times I used FB was on buses without a bike rack, I checked the extra size luggage option when purchasing my ticket and picked up some plastic and tape to wrap around the bike. The driver decides if he'll take your bike or not (the packed bike doesn't meet FB bagage regulations anyway), but I think this will only be a problem if the bus is almost full and/or passengers bring an exceptional amount of bags. I would not expect this to work in high season on a trajectory that sells out fast but in many instances you'll be fine. If on the other hand not enough tickets are sold, FB will cancel the bus and send you an email, that can be a problem too. If anything goes wrong, FB will send you a voucher, but having a plan B when you order a ticket is probably the way to go.
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

A cat named Martin Bethge made a good case for bus+bike transportation economics a few years back.

(Probably not worth clicking on unless you're a bus fan, but here you go: )

http://docplayer.net/104534988-Flixbus- ... urism.html

There have been a rough couple of years for the transportation industry since, but I'm hoping this does make money for Flixbus so they'll expand and improve their efforts.

In other news, Germany's Flixbus has recently purchased US-based Greyhound's American coast-to-coast intercity bus operations from UK's FirstGroup. An upside might lead to a great future of bus service to the 5000 destinations between airports for cycletourists in the USA, supplementing America's economically unviable and therefore miserable passenger rail service. Of course, a downside might lead to Greyhound's operations bankrupting Flixbus!
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

Have not used Flix bus yet, but I did a fair bit of research. The advantages are: cheap fares, they go to destinations that do not have train stations. Negatives: They can be unbearingly slow and only about half their routes take bicycles, but you can see online which. Those that take bikes, sell out quickly
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike