In praise of the Downs Link

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bice

In praise of the Downs Link

Post by Bice »

I did the Downs Link on this seven-speed x3, ex-MTB tourer bike on Saturday afternoon / evening from Shoreham to Guildford (actually from Hove).

It was way tougher than I was expecting although only 37 miles (so 47 with all the faffing for me). The first bit in Sussex was fine: dry, smooth gravel, coffee stop in a field, pleasant chat with a woman riding a nice Arab horse etc). But in Surrey trees overhang the railway track and the path got seriously muddly: drive chain got filthy; pedals slippery; mudguards glagged up; I was slipping all over the shop ... Just as well I was on an old 26 inch MTB / tourer.

(In fact, I split one of my plastic pedals, which is a bit of a reverse because I had been praising plastic pedals and old style clips with cages and straps v medal ones on this forum. Worked fine, but will have to be replaced.)

Basically, the bike got a hammering.

But it was really nice. A perfect place for would-be cycle tourists to ride out from London via Hampton Court, old A3 etc to Guildford and then either wild camp (plenty of places) or campsites and on into Brighton and back.

There were quite a few other cyclists in mid-afternoon (none later), including a young girl on a uni-cycle out from London.

It has taken me ages to get round to doing this, but I will do it again any time. Pretty amazing to be able to do 37 miles off-road in the built-up South East. But maybe do it after a dry spell ...
Daily: Carlton Courette 1982 mixte 42, 32, 22 x7
Van Nicholas Yukon titanium 50/34 10sp
Lazzaretti steel 1996 10sp 48/34
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Marin Bolinas Ridge MTB c1995, 7x42, 34, 24
Scott Scale carbon MTB 27.5 inch
mjr

Re: In praise of the Downs Link

Post by mjr »

This route has been on my "maybe" list for a while but I don't want my bike hammered!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Bice wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 7:11pm
But it was really nice. A perfect place for would-be cycle tourists to ride out from London via Hampton Court, old A3 etc to Guildford and then either wild camp (plenty of places) or campsites and on into Brighton and back.
It's sort of good. There certainly aren't many campsites (if any?). And the surface is the sort of surface that drives touring cyclists mad: good enough to tempt you away from the traffic but not so nice after a few miles. I've done it a couple of times recently with full camping load and each time I wished I was on an MTB. I remember being very impressed a few decades back when AFAIK and IIRC it was opened as an LDP and I thought longingly about it when I did Sunday walks on the North Downs Way. But actually, given that it is an old railway track, it might be quite boring for walkers. And too bumpy for cyclists. Hmmm.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... a young girl on a uni-cycle out from London ....
I would have thought that a unicycle was more sensitive to the road surface than just about any sort of machine.
Bice

Post by Bice »

Everything I read before did not prepare me for how muddy it was, but then it has been very wet this summer.

There is camping. This place for eg and maybe others: https://riversidefarm-camping.uk/rudgwick.html
thirdcrank wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 4:40pm
... a young girl on a uni-cycle out from London ....
I would have thought that a unicycle was more sensitive to the road surface than just about any sort of machine.
She was a bit tired. And filthy, but enjoying herself.

I am glad I did not do it on a 700mm-wheel bike.
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
horizon

Post by horizon »

Bice wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 6:24pm

There is camping. This place for eg and maybe others: https://riversidefarm-camping.uk/rudgwick.html
When I went on the Downs Link AFAIK they didn't have showers otherwise I am pretty sure I would have stayed there as I had to go off-route to find a campsite. So that's good. As you say, there may be others but I don't know of them.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Don't let WSCC see this! :roll: IMO, and that of many local campaigners, it needs a better surface than the 'limestone dust' that WSCC regards as adequate - ie an all-weather surface, so it can be promoted as a viable alternative to motor highways to really open it up for commuting. The southern section is definitely a curate's egg, with several dodgy road crossings - the A281 at Rudgwick being the most notorious, with a fatality a few years back.

Tough wheels with MTB sized tyres would be my minimum requirement for much of it, so I concur with the OP there. (Those with younger, more resilient wrists would no doubt be fine on a gravel bike.)

Glad you enjoyed your day out - maybe try the South Downs Way next :wink:

PS: anyone see the news clip yesterday of a pair cycling the SDW on an ordinary and a unicycle? I'd be interested to know just how much walking they did...
"42"
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I was going to say that Tom Clowes - the unicyclist's - wrists should have been ok but I see he seemed to have some sort of mini handlebar with a brake lever for what looks like a disc brake.
Bice

Post by Bice »

squeaker wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 10:37am PS: anyone see the news clip yesterday of a pair cycling the SDW on an ordinary and a unicycle? I'd be interested to know just how much walking they did...
Brilliant link, thanks.
Trek 1.7 10sp 3x 2010;
Ciocc steel 1984 50/34x7
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the info bice.
Been thinking of it for a while.
One for the ridgeback exped bike i think
(I have ridden some of the easier southern bits on a 700 bike,)
Sweep
smcknighty

Post by smcknighty »

I ride the southern bits all the time on a gravel bike. All the time it’s dry anyway, it’s a mudfest during the winter and then I use my winterised mtb :) the key with gravel biking generally is control the bars with the hands over the rough stuff but dont expect them to support any weight. Vast majority of it isn’t that clattery though.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
DanZac

Post by DanZac »

horizon wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 4:32pm
Bice wrote: 4 Jul 2021, 7:11pm
I remember being very impressed a few decades back when AFAIK and IIRC it was opened as an LDP and I thought longingly about it when I did Sunday walks on the North Downs Way. But actually, given that it is an old railway track, it might be quite boring for walkers. And too bumpy for cyclists. Hmmm.
You've hit the nail on the head there. I've walked it, run it and cycled it and it's not brilliant for either. It's too;
Flat for running (nothing to break up the monotony).
Too enclosed and flat for walking (there's no view for miles at a time).
Too flat and busy for MTB.
Too rough and muddy for a normal bike.

All of which are a shame as it's a lovely day out if the weathers good and you take your time. Makes a great afternoon stroll or an adventure out with the kids though!
A dull read for a rainy day - https://pperratt.weebly.com/
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

squeaker wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 10:37am IMO, and that of many local campaigners, it needs a better surface than the 'limestone dust' that WSCC regards as adequate -
Is that like the crushed limestone widely used on USA railtrails? I found that ok when dry but very sucky when wet and this is England so it’s pretty much always going to be wet.
mjr

Post by mjr »

MrsHJ wrote: 12 Jul 2021, 11:05pm
squeaker wrote: 6 Jul 2021, 10:37am IMO, and that of many local campaigners, it needs a better surface than the 'limestone dust' that WSCC regards as adequate -
Is that like the crushed limestone widely used on USA railtrails? I found that ok when dry but very sucky when wet and this is England so it’s pretty much always going to be wet.
I believe so. Also used on NCN 26 Strawberry Line. It's like having your bike pebbledashed in the wet.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
nsew

Post by nsew »

An alternative to the Thames Path route to Guildford is the NCN 22 across Epsom Downs, Box Hill, Dorking, Shere etc. This is a rewarding route through fantastic countryside with good quality off road sections.

https://cycle.travel/route/summary/482