Anyone cycled on Isle of Jura ?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Therealsouthstander

Re: Anyone cycled on Isle of Jura ?

Post by Therealsouthstander »

Enigmadick wrote: 5 Jul 2021, 3:09pm North of Ardlui the road deteriorates with a strip of grass up the middle, loose gravel and the odd pothole, but not really any worse than many of the backroads in my local area on the Wales / English border.

So, while you'd undoubtedly be more comfortable on wider tyres, guess you'll be fine on 28's.

As there's nothing much to aim for, and the knowledge you're going to come back down exactly the same road, I'll admit to finding it one of the less inspiring rides in the Hebrides though.
I'm beginning to think doing it as a day trip might be better..Sounds like its more interesting on Islay.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Yes, I have cycled on Jura, but not as part of a planned tour.

Our motorhome broke down a couple of miles from the ferry, and we were stuck in a layby for four days until a suitable rescue vehicle could be arranged.

Wild camping? No problem.

Cycling?
The road was fine as far as the distillery and shop, we didn't go any further north.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Cycled from the ferry to Craighouse for the fell race a few times in my youth. Wild camping is no problem but Jura is much better suited to exploring on foot.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Time to go to Islay and Jura is when the Jazz festival is on in September. Usually a pretty good lineup.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Therealsouthstander

Post by Therealsouthstander »

Considering going to Arran and Islay instead of Jura..

Thoughts ?
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Both are interesting islands to visit (as is Colonsay if you can fit in with the ferry times). I visited Bute, Arran, Gigha, Islay, Jura and Colonsay on a tour a few years ago, starting and finishing at Oban. Staying a night on each island and finishing off the tour by popping out to Coll to stay a few nights with friends who live there. It was reasonably easy to link them together using the ferries, the only tricky bit being the timing of the visit to Colonsay.

This was the one and only time I used the old CalMac 8 day pass, it was only just a little less than buying the tickets separately, but it was kind of nice to have a magic ticket that let me use any ferry. I don't think they offer that option anymore.
Tom_B

Post by Tom_B »

With even half-decent weather, cycling on Hebridean islands is a great experience and for me, riding the length of Jura in 2010 was one of the best. The road is very quiet, undulating along the E coast with great views over the Paps and to the mainland. Camped by the hotel and the next day rode to the north end and back. I just had to see Barnhill. In 2010 the last 3 miles or so were crap - simply a track cut thru the peat with rubble thrown over haphazardly to help drainage. I was on a fat-tyred tourer but ended up walking much of that last bit. A couple I met on full-sus MTBs thought it was fine. Would certainly do it again, but turn back where the tarmac runs out
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Therealsouthstander wrote: 8 Jul 2021, 2:59pm Considering going to Arran and Islay instead of Jura..

Thoughts ?
I'm just back from Arran (well, a couple of weeks back). Was there for a couple of days, which is enough to cycle round the island and across it. There's not that many roads...
I really enjoyed it, there's a bit more accommodation, shops and eateries than some other islands, which may or may not suit you.
Travelling with a bike on the ferry at the weekend can be a bit tricky as it can get very busy with bikes and you can be asked to wait for the next boat. You can book in advance as a foot passenger, but you can't reserve a bike space it's first come/ first served.
All of it was interesting, but I particularly enjoyed the stone circles and other ancient bits and pieces on the west side of the island about half way up. Also, red deer paddling in the sea.
Attachments
20210621_220448.jpg
20210621_182121.jpg
Tom_B

Post by Tom_B »

Re. Other islands in question

In 2018 went Tiree, Coll, Lismore, Colonsay and then back to England via Islay and Arran.
Tiree - we thought it would be good for cycling b/c there are more roads but once we had done a circuit of the island it felt a bit samey. Coll is hilly and more appealing with some delightful hidden beaches. We especially liked Hogh Bay and Sorisdale.

Colonsay is smaller than Coll but equally pleasing. The unsurfaced track beyond Kiloran Bay is well worth the effort in order to get to the beaches near the northern tip.

The W coast of Arran from Lochranza to Blackwaterfoot is a good ride - flattish with fine views. After that, anti-clockwise to Brodick there is much more up-and-down, some of it a serious slog.

Islay is a larger island and the long, straight roads can be hard work in the wind. The west of the island was my favourite bit, with more varied roads and views. There is good wild camping by the dunes at Machir Bay.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I used this ferry with the bike strapped to the rails at the back. Brilliant experience! https://jurapassengerferry.com/
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

geocycle wrote: 9 Jul 2021, 10:09am I used this ferry with the bike strapped to the rails at the back. Brilliant experience! https://jurapassengerferry.com/
We used the same ferry on an organised CTC tour a few years ago. There were 18 of us and he could only take 10 at a time, so the younger and fitter ones stayed behind. Problem was that it’s an hour's trip to the mainland and another hour back. Our first party caught the ferry at 5.30pm and we had to wait until 7.30, didn’t land on the mainland until 8.30 and then had a 25 mile ride in the rain to get to our overnight stop!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com