Quiet route Oban-Kilmartin Argyll

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cpedw

Quiet route Oban-Kilmartin Argyll

Post by cpedw »

I'm looking for an alternative to A816 but not too rough-stuff. The bike is a 20" Circe Helios tandem. It copes moderately well with firm stones but it's difficult on anything muckier.
My OSM app found an interesting route between Kilmore and Dalavich (String of Lorne) but it looks to be very rough.
Any other tips to avoid some of the A816?
Thanks
Derek
L+1

Re: Quiet route Oban-Kilmartin Argyll

Post by L+1 »

The best on road route for cycling between Oban and Kilmartin is to follow the Sustrans Caledonia Way.
You would need to cycle from Oban to Taynuilt via the superb Glen Lonan. Once in Taynuilt you need to get yourself on to the B845 to Kilchrenan and then follow the road on the west side of Loch Awe ( the quieter side). You will eventually arrive at Ford at the southern end. It’s not a huge distance but lots of tiring ups and downs!

Then there is a short stretch on the A816 to get to Kilmartin - but it’s unusually flat for that route. Traffic speed is quite high.
There is an off road option to avoid the A816 for that last stretch but it was very rough and muddy a couple of years ago. Carnasserie Castle (where the rough stretch goes) is worth a look though if you have time

The String of Lorne route is almost impossible to cycle along most of its length. It’s a challenging walk. If you do want some off-road, the Midmuir Drove Road - between Musdale near Kilmore and Kilchrenan has a better surface. The Scotways website (Scottish Rights of Way society). Their Heritage Paths site has very good info about track surface/quality etc.
There is also the West Loch Awe Timber Haul Route high above the public road on the west side of Loch Awe - but I think you would be better on the public road.
If you are on the road in the vicinity of Kilchrenan, be alert for a badly damaged cattle grid. Several beams broken, awaiting repair. think it’s at Collaig near Kilchrenan.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Just to follow on from the last poster.
To find the start in Oban take the Lochgilphead road and at the Parish Church just before Lidl bear left up by the golf course.
In Glen Lonan you may meet Highland cattle on the road. I never found them any bother.
At Taynuilt there is a short section on the A85 which is generally quite busy but thankfully no more than a few hundred yards before turning right on to the Loch Awe section. Care is needed at this turn.
At Carnasserie Castle to Kilmartin I found the road ok but have not been there for a couple of years and this year I imagine the traffic levels may be much higher than I remember.
cpedw

Post by cpedw »

Thanks for the advice. I hoped there might be a more direct route but it seems not. We'll just have to toughen up!