2.5 day loop from Kendal

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tinribs

2.5 day loop from Kendal

Post by tinribs »

On the train up there now, cheeky last minute midweek trip, any tips? Thinking of following a bot of the lakes and dales way around thae lakes. Will be camping.
geocycle

Re: 2.5 day loop from Kendal

Post by geocycle »

Yes the lakes and dales loop is a good introduction and avoids the really busy areas. Was in Grasmere at the weekend and it was heaving. Although I live 40 mins away I’ll not be going back until after the summer hols! But the L and D loop takes you on some great roads, there are some big hills around eskdale and dunnerdale but not the monsters of the central area. The train gives you a bail out option if time gets tight. Other diy alternatives would include western dales such as Dent and wonderful Eden valley routes. Enjoy.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

This time of year I think you want to be looking across at the lakes but not in them. :D
Kendal is the Southern point of loops I’ll do from the North side(Penrith) keeping to the East and into the Howgills.
Having said all that the forecast is looking really good and I’m plotting a ride around the NW coast line as far as Workington and then back towards Carlisle on some of that loop.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
tinribs

Post by tinribs »

Great cheers for the advice, think I'm going to head west and aim for eskdale tonight, then head north from there tomorrow.