Lôn Las Cymru - Llanwrthwl - N'bridge on Wye

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Emyr Parry

Lôn Las Cymru - Llanwrthwl - N'bridge on Wye

Post by Emyr Parry »

Looking for some recent info on this off-road section.
I rode it about 20 years ago, when, frankly, it was in disgraceful condition. Since then I have ridden LLC several times, but always avoided this section and taken the main A470. However, someone might know of the current condition of this section.

Thanks

Emyr
steve.y.griffith

Re: Lôn Las Cymru - Llanwrthwl - N'bridge on Wye

Post by steve.y.griffith »

I rode this last year the track is fine .Towards the north end stones have been put down which makes it rather bumpy for the last few hundred yards but rest of track is good . I used a traditional tourer with 32mm tyres and it was great able to ride all
Far more enjoyable that the dull and busy A road.

Further north the suspension bridge route is a great back way into Rhayader and you have a lovely downhill on the last bit .You come in via The Triangle a traditional pub in the middle of erhh a triangle .
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

^+1
I think you will be fine as long as you have widish tyres and look out for nettles on the sides. I rode most of it two weeks ago apart from the stoney section at the north end.

I found the suspension bridge near Rhayader to be a bit too narrow but it would be easier if you don't have panniers or you took them off and carried them across separately. It is "interesting" but I would take the long route around next time.
Emyr Parry

Post by Emyr Parry »

Thanks for the updates. Always good to see different contributors coming to the same conclusion.
Diolch

Emyr
djb

Post by djb »

Emyr Parry wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 9:14pm Thanks for the updates. Always good to see different contributors coming to the same conclusion.
Diolch

Emyr
Ya, it's like when on tour and you ask a local for directions, and I learned a long time ago to politely thank them, then go ahead a bit and ask a second local.
If the same answer, great, if not then look for a third to hopefully figure out which of the first two was clueless
honesty

Post by honesty »

Admittedly I did this a few years ago, but I found the farmers track at the south end (just before the climb and drop to Newbridge) quite potholed but rideable slowly, and the hill at the north end really rocky and had to be walked. The middle section, the actual path as it were, was a standard gravelled sustrans like track. I did in on 28mm tyres.

Not seen the suspension bridge path into Rhayader, where’s this compared to the signposted path?
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

honesty wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 3:33pm
Not seen the suspension bridge path into Rhayader, where’s this compared to the signposted path?
Here is a screen grab from Cycle travel. You can see the bridge marked near the bottom of the map. It crosses the Afon Elan close to its confluence with the Wye.
SN 965 657
Attachments
Rhayader map.JPG
honesty

Post by honesty »

rotavator wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 6:33pm
honesty wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 3:33pm
Here is a screen grab from Cycle travel. You can see the bridge marked near the bottom of the map. It crosses the Afon Elan close to its confluence with the Wye.
SN 965 657
Thanks. I thought it may be there, but couldn’t see the bridge on Google Earth.
hamish

Post by hamish »

I rode it a few weeks ago and it was fine. I was on a bike with wide tyres but the track has been smoothed out somewhat at the National Trust end with the addition of new gravel.

I think it’s a nice route and I’d much rather ride it then the main road but I have wide tyres and seek out back lanes and tracks.
hamish

Post by hamish »

The suspension bridge… it is narrow so I hold the bike by the bars and push it forward in a vertical wheelie position on the back wheel. It is the quite easy then. That’s without long mudguards mind.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I went over that bridge last year (I was staying at a nearby campsite). It's OK but there are steps up to it, so if you have luggage you may need to unload.
Chris F, Cornwall