Bike space availability: Northern from Sheffield to Edale

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
songololo

Bike space availability: Northern from Sheffield to Edale

Post by songololo »

We are planning a cycling trip (from a Monday to Friday), cycling a loop around the Peak District.

We'd like to take the train to Edale (from Sheffield) and then back from Hope (towards Sheffield).

It looks like Northern doesn't do bike bookings and they have a limit of two bicycles per train. There will be two of us travelling, so I'm a bit worried about finding a space for our bicycles if these routes are typically busy with bicycles?

We'll be travelling in early August.

Thanks.
PH

Re: Bike space availability: Northern from Sheffield to Edale

Post by PH »

It's a fairly regular one for me, in both directions, I've never had a problem getting on, there's sometimes more than the permitted 2 bikes, though I don't remember there ever being more than 4. I don't travel in the rush hour, but I'm not sure if that's any busier, most people going to Manchester will use the direct train. It is a lovely train ride in itself, if you like that sort of thing.
pal

Post by pal »

My experience on that line is the same as PH's: there might be more than two bikes on the train (I think there were three or four, last time I went that way...), but I've never known a Northern guard to be at all bothered. And PH is also right that it's a lovely scenic ride!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

of course, you could always just ride back over the hill :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

My experience of northern is that in spite of their much publicised faults they are excellent and easy going with bikes.
I don't think you'll have significant problems.
That line sheffield to manchester is glorious - enjoy.
Sweep
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Sweep wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 7:00pm My experience of northern is that in spite of their much publicised faults they are excellent and easy going with bikes.
I don't think you'll have significant problems.
That line sheffield to manchester is glorious - enjoy.
One day I was very wet and tired and so caught the train for Sheffield at Hope, in spite of a shortage of brass.
When the guard got round to me we had passed through several staions.
I told him that I had not planned on getting the train and without prompting he told me that if I had got on at such and such a station the fare would be so much, a worthwhile saving.
I thanked him sincerely.
It is a lovely line when the weather is fine!.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?