Trains: Sunderland - Newcastle.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tentman

Trains: Sunderland - Newcastle.

Post by tentman »

I will be ending my C2C in September at Sunderland & would like to catch the train to Newcastle with a tourer carrying 4 pannier bags. When consulting National Rail websites it seems to want to send me on a metro. Is there a direct train service from Sunderland to Newcastle avoiding 'metros'?
Oldjohnw

Re: Trains: Sunderland - Newcastle.

Post by Oldjohnw »

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/train ... sunderland

I believe it is the Middlesbrough train.
John
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

I'm a local and use this train with the bike regular
Theres a lift at Sunderland down to the platform for a laden bike
You cannot reserve a bike slot but you will get the bike in
They officially only carry 2 bikes but the guards usually turn blind eye to that and are very flexible
Not sure what site you use to book it
If not northern rail site

Theres no issues of late regarding the c2c track in the last few miles into Sunderland
LNER site will have the northern train listed as 0 changes ..any changes will be a metro ..the site also has a info icon which will also say metro or northern
PH

Post by PH »

You seem to have the answers already, so forgive me for not adding to them.
If you can find the time it's a lovely ride back, up the coast to South Shields and either side of the Tyne right into the heart of the city and the train station. About 20 miles, almost entirely flat, quiet roads and cycle paths. For added excitement, there's the option of the crossings - ferry, tunnel and a choice of bridges.
Campag

Post by Campag »

Metro trains are more frequent but don't allow bikes other than folders. If you can book ahead or don't mind waiting the other alternatives already mentioned.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Campag wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 7:23pm Metro trains are more frequent but don't allow bikes other than folders.
They do, but only at certain times and not on all of the tracks.

https://www.nexus.org.uk/sites/default/ ... -12-20.png
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
tentman

Post by tentman »

Thanks for your information guys, that is enormous help.
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

Tberes also many pubs and food places along up the coast road from above where the c2c finishes..the area called roker seafront and seaburn sea front ..about half a mile long and varied types of food
The city is a little bland now and is like a lot of town centres is run down and is in the process of redevelopment

On a side note
The last long climb to the top of waskerley is via the rd at crawleyside bank/stanhope or the very scenic off rd route of the rookhope incline ..this route will have commanding views when you have to stop to get your breathe back ( better than stopping on the steep rd )
Theres also the remains of the old engine house from days of pulling up the wagons .. it could be a little bumpy though for a Tourer
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

If you do decide to ride to Newcastle from Sunderland then I recommend trying the Tyne cycling tunnel which is one of the best examples of specific cycling and walking infra in the country and then using NCN 72 to Newcastle. That's about 22 miles if you go via NCN 1 then 14 to the tunnel.

Alternatively, take the coast road north to Whitburn. Then on there is a fairly flat route via a cycle path from east Boldon to the A1300 (also connects via cycleways to the tunnel). Then minor roads form a fairly straight path via Bill Quay to connect to the Cycleway along the A184 then Gateshead TC to Newcastle. It's about 15 miles and pretty flat.
tentman

Post by tentman »

Thank you 'lookrider' & 'gazza', With all your info as above I have now been able to decide on my final route. All most helpful.