Republic of Ireland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
st599_uk

Re: Republic of Ireland

Post by st599_uk »

speedsixdave wrote:Unfortunately I think the requirement to fill in the Passenger Locator Form

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ab900 ... tor-form/

means that my sort of cycle touring - book your accommodation on the day or perhaps a couple of days ahead at most - is not going to be encouraged. Ah well, another time...
The entry requirements for the EU require third nationals to be in possession of a return ticket anyway. Plus the required finances if you haven't pre-booked accommodation are eye watering.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

st599_uk wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 9:45am
speedsixdave wrote:Unfortunately I think the requirement to fill in the Passenger Locator Form

means that my sort of cycle touring - book your accommodation on the day or perhaps a couple of days ahead at most - is not going to be encouraged. Ah well, another time...
The entry requirements for the EU require third nationals to be in possession of a return ticket anyway. Plus the required finances if you haven't pre-booked accommodation are eye watering.
The UK and the country now called Ireland (to clear up any geographical ambiguity I mean the part of the island of Ireland that isn't Northern Ireland :) ) are in their own Common Travel area that predates and postdates Uk eu membership so no..

But as part of the UK, Northern Ireland is also in the common travel area with Ireland , so , unusual covid restrictions aside such as passenger locator forms, here, one may just wander over the border and back...
BUT from Mainland Uk to Ireland* , in normal times they may be some id docoument checks but then that could happen in the past too..
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

speedsixdave wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 8:56pm Unfortunately I think the requirement to fill in the Passenger Locator Form

Out of interest do we really think this will be particularly onerous. I’ve ambled round the states a lot with pre booked accommodation only for the first night and completed my various forms and esta without problems. Or is it a COVID thing?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's not a fuss over nothing.
There is Ireland, and Northern Ireland.

Southern Ireland would be perhaps the southern end of Ireland?
Cork, Tralee, Kinsale?
Mick F. Cornwall
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

No doubt one day Ireland will see sense and join the rest of us - again. :P
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Mick F wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 7:25pm It's not a fuss over nothing.
There is Ireland, and Northern Ireland.

Southern Ireland would be perhaps the southern end of Ireland?
Cork, Tralee, Kinsale?
Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Or as most folks say here, 'the south' and 'the north'!

Cheers,

Keith
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Northern Ireland is a country (or region, or territory, etc.) and so should be treated as a proper noun, that is, capitalised. The word southern in the phrase southern Ireland is simply an adjective and so is not spelled with a capital s. There's not much more to it than that - unless readers infer that the phrase southern Ireland refers to the country of Éire, or in English, Ireland.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Stopping digging folks.. Use Republic of Ireland or Ireland and really the thread title should be updated.

I hope the original poster has a fab time - the West coast is amazing for cycle touring and a very welcoming part of the world with amazing food and I would go back to explore more of Ireland anytime.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

MrsHJ wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 4:07am Stopping digging folks.. Use Republic of Ireland or Ireland and really the thread title should be updated.

I hope the original poster has a fab time - the West coast is amazing for cycle touring and a very welcoming part of the world with amazing food and I would go back to explore more of Ireland anytime.
If you're going to capitalise West, you should also write Coast.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

MrsHJ wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 4:07am Use Republic of Ireland or Ireland and really the thread title should be updated.
Fixed.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

People have become sooo sensitive over very little. No wonder so many statutes are being pulled down. :shock:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tiggertoo wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 3:15pm People have become sooo sensitive over very little. No wonder so many statutes are being pulled down. :shock:
Yes, they get all worked up when a statue is removed, or even when one is decorated with red paint and given a turf mohican.
Churchill mohican..jpg
Churchill mohican..jpg (13.61 KiB) Viewed 514 times
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I think that's a Dr Who baddie?
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Tiggertoo wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 3:15pm People have become sooo sensitive over very little. No wonder so many statutes are being pulled down. :shock:
Getting the name of a country wrong isn't "very little", especially when it is British people getting the name of Ireland wrong.
Richard M
Cardiff
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

richardfm wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 5:46pm
Getting the name of a country wrong isn't "very little", especially when it is British people getting the name of Ireland wrong.
That's an entirely subjective viewpoint.

Some people are over-sensitive (that's an objective fact!)