summer tour in northern japan

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
keefwaddo

summer tour in northern japan

Post by keefwaddo »

We will go on our summer tour in two days. This time we will head to Northern Honshu. After our break last summer in Hokkaido, this will be our third visit with many new places and a few familiar favourites. For anyone who gives a damn: each day, my wife takes a photo or two of our camp site and posts them on Instagram at:  y.hojo
mr riff raff

Re: summer tour in northern japan

Post by mr riff raff »

I reckon you need to keep us updated on here.
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

No wonder global-warming is tightening its grip.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Seeing as he lives in Japan, where would you rather he goes?
keefwaddo

Post by keefwaddo »

simonhill wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 5:28pm Seeing as he lives in Japan, where would you rather he goes?
Thanks! ;) And yes, global warming is "tightening it's grip," which is why we don't own a car, will take an electric train to our staring point and ride bikes!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

we don't own a car, will take an electric train to our staring point and ride bikes!
Well Done You! Have you ever been on one of those bullet trains? Are they bike-friendly? And what about those special bento boxes they sell for bullet train travellers - they look yummy!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Happy to hear differently, but I've not found any public transport in Japan that allow naked bikes on board, except ferries.

For trains and buses it's rinko (partly disassemble and bagged). Boxed bikes OK on budget airlines. Because of this I have never used public transport in Japan apart from their wonderful ferries.

Baggage couriers are common in Japan and many people send their bags ahead to their hotel. I think that carrying lots of large luggage is frowned upon.

Keef, how are transporting your bikes?
keefwaddo

Post by keefwaddo »

Bikes on trains: yes you need to put them in bags that is sold in most good bike shops here. The ones we use require only the removal of the front wheel which is then place beside the back wheel, so no big deal. This applies to all trains including the bullet trains.

The bento boxed lunches sold for the bullet trains look very lovely but they are too expensive and we take our own food to eat. For those just coming here for a visit it is worth buying one just for the experience.

Finally, bullet trains are expensive; but I love the comfort and bike friendliness. Also, I do not have the skill (nor inclination) to disassemble a bike and pack it for a plane. So it seems we are stuck exploring japan--which is fine by me as a humble Yorkshireman.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Are you able to reuse the bags - or are they throw-aways? If reusable, then you need to carry them on the bikes?
One of these day - maybe - I'd like to tour the Far East - including Japan, mostly for the scenery, which I understand is spectacular.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The rinko bags I have seen are thin nylon jobs. Fold up about the size of one of those cheapo packable macs.

Reusable, but not very strong. You pack the bike outside station and carry it in, so not major travelling. In popular cycling areas there is often a dedicated rinko place outside the station.

Generally East Asia is overlooked by cyclists.

Japan is good, but not really bike touring friendly and few locals tour. They like to stick to the recommended cycle areas and routes which are usually in popular tourist areas. Conversely you will struggle to find more utility cyclists anywhere in the world. As Keef's video shows, discreet wild camping not a problem.

S Korea is good for cycling. They've built thousands of Kms of cycle routes and you can figure of 8 the country. All long-distance buses take naked bikes, no questions and for free. Also possible on some long-distance trains. The metros in Seoul and Busan let you take bikes at weekends and holidays. Seoul has a cycle path that goes from one side to the other - wonderful. On the long distance cycle routes, wild camping allowed, even encouraged.

Taiwan has a cycle path all the way round the coast. It's another Govt sponsored cycle friendly country.

Surprisingly all these countries are reasonably priced. Food and hotels generally a lot cheaper than France for example. Obviously much more expensive than S or SE Asia.

Ferries do run between all of them. Japan to Korea is only a short hop.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I've had friends who have toured Vietnam and came back with nice memories.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Some info on how to rinko your bike.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/category/rinko/

Pass Hunting, you don't think of Japan having ghost towns.
https://www.renehersecycles.com/working ... koku-pass/
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

I am sorry but was unaware that you are a resident and managing without a car is most gracious. Mind you parking in Kobe and the like is a nightmare.