cycle touring books

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
SA_SA_SA

Re: cycle touring books

Post by SA_SA_SA »

The last grain race and Love and war in the appennines were very interesting.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

I meant to post this yesterday but got my plans derailed! Several of my suggestions are mentioned above and some new ones I must look out for. I saw the thread and I agree some are gripping and others ( eg later Mustoe or Humphreys books didn’t grab me as much as the first few)
May I suggest FULL TILT: IRELAND TO INDIA WITH A BICYCLE by Dervla Murphy very good reading . Ditto re CYCLING HOME FROM SIBERIA by Rob Lilwall.
The Alastair Humphreys’ books on his world tours, are fascinating reads. Not sure the subsequent books reach the same standard of grip. Another couple of authors I enjoyed are Leon McCarron and Tom Allen. The latter’s Janapar: Love on a Bike, was very engaging. Finally ( for me now) Postcards from the Edge of Britain by Peter Mann. This records a trip around the coastline of Britain and it’s a good read imo. As you indicated in the OP you really wanted World tours, I’ll avoid the great number of LEJOG/JOGLE books although some are really good reads. Enjoy whatever you read.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

'One More Croissant for the Road', by Felicity Cloake, is currently BBC Radio 4 "Book of the Week", episodes available here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000yc ... odes/guide

cheers,

Keith
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Interesting theme developing. First book good, subsequent ones not so good.

I have found this with a few travel authors. I loved Full Tilt but her subsequent books weren't as good. Likewise The Great Railway Bazar by Paul Theroux. A great, interesting and informative read, but was disappointed with the follow up The Old Patagonia Express. It seemed tired and a bit stereotyped.

I can imagine it is difficult for authors to keep the spark alive. Same can be said for TV and radio programs.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cyclists who also climb rocks might enjoy The Middle Aged Mountaineer by Jim Curran.
He rode from Muckle Flugga to Land's End, stopping off to climb with friends at various places on the way.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
beeb

Post by beeb »

this is great, many I have read but some i have not.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:48pmLikewise The Great Railway Bazar by Paul Theroux. A great, interesting and informative read, but was disappointed with the follow up The Old Patagonia Express. It seemed tired and a bit stereotyped.

I can imagine it is difficult for authors to keep the spark alive.
Agree about Theroux, but for me it cut in a bit later.

But then I'm interested in Patagonia. : - )

Jonathan
borisface

Post by borisface »

Almost certainly out of print but probably the first round the world cyclist in the 1890s!

John Foster Fraser Round the world on a wheel.

Appeals to my obscurantist tendencies.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

borisface wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 4:46pm Almost certainly out of print but probably the first round the world cyclist in the 1890s!

Thomas Stevens was the first to cycle round the world, 'Around the World on a Penny Farthing'. His was a solo ride, Foster Fraser had, IIRC, 3 companions.
Paperback editions of both these books are usually available cheaply from used book dealers.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
borisface

Post by borisface »

pedalsheep wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 5:11pm
borisface wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 4:46pm Almost certainly out of print but probably the first round the world cyclist in the 1890s!

Thomas Stevens was the first to cycle round the world, 'Around the World on a Penny Farthing'. His was a solo ride, Foster Fraser had, IIRC, 3 companions.
Paperback editions of both these books are usually available cheaply from used book dealers.
I stand corrected, not heard of Thomas Stevens, I'll check him out, thanks.

Foster Fraser did have companions but disappointingly not his butler.
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

mud sweat and gears audiobook is entertaining

Lejog with beer
Pete... I think
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

If you can find copies of these three books they are well worth a read. All of them written in a down to earth style without added hype or flowery descriptions every page.

Ultimate High by Goran Kropp. A 7000 mile cycle ride to Everest and an ascent to the top.

Why don't you fly? by Chris Smith. His journey from his home Worcestershire to Beijing.

Postcards from the edge of Britain by Peter Mann. Peter rides a Mouton and this is my favourite of all the round Britain books.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Desert Snow by Helen Lloyd – solo ride from UK to South Africa.
Neil Wheadon

Post by Neil Wheadon »

Miles from Nowhere
By Barbara Savage

It recounts an American's round the world trip with her husband Larry. In my opinion never bettered, it's funny and is an easy read
Former CTC Tour Leader, now with Bikexplore
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Neil Wheadon wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 10:36pm Miles from Nowhere
By Barbara Savage

It recounts an American's round the world trip with her husband Larry. In my opinion never bettered, it's funny and is an easy read
Yes this is a good book and worth a read,. It was a shame about the tragic end to her life.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".