OSMand changed pricing model - now subs

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
al_yrpal

Re: OSMand changed pricing model - now subs

Post by al_yrpal »

Heres something...
Screenshot_2021-09-10-18-06-08-74_014aeb6b5e04ee7837dcdaecc5244511.jpg
Screenshot_2021-09-10-18-06-08-74_014aeb6b5e04ee7837dcdaecc5244511.jpg
Al
Attachments
Screenshot_2021-09-10-18-08-54-81_014aeb6b5e04ee7837dcdaecc5244511.jpg
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

So what's the fee for if its the same map?

Looking at the free one it's got alot missing. Some local paths are missing despite on os map and on the ground.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

If you zoom in further they are probably there. OSM can be updated by locals.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tangled Metal wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 6:41pm So what's the fee for if its the same map?

Looking at the free one it's got alot missing. Some local paths are missing despite on os map and on the ground.
Check on https://www.openstreetmap.org (if it's cycle related enable cycle layer or use http://www.opencyclemap.org)

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've recently switched from plain, vanilla user to being a modest subscriber of the excellent cycle.travel - and I have no regrets! :-) Layers available to subscribers add satellite, OS and IGN mapping to the 4 OSM layers that common-or-garden users can choose from. As someone who has in the past toured France and GB and is only ever likely to stick to that envelope, I'm delighted.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

When I switched OS to OSM (different app, not OSMand) I particularly liked the street names on the OSM mapping.

Ian
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Tangled Metal wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 6:41pm So what's the fee for if its the same map?

As al says, more may well come into view as you zoom in - that's often the case with individual road names etc - that's the beauty of it compared to OS - there is generally a lot more info than with OS - so display of all this varies with zoom - and what you have selected to show. Churches for instance I often have switched on in rural areas but not more built up areas as they would litter the map too much.

Have you tried downloading the free app and having a rummage?

I assume the free number of map limited version is still available.
Sweep
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Yes loaded and downloaded. Not impressed with the free south lakeland map. OS was a lot better in detail even when zoomed in. I just thought the paid for version might have more details, but if what I think is being said the first, free map is what they are all like then I'm not sure it suits my needs. Both OS and Harvey's papery/ plastic maps are better. I think I'd prefer to get those maps on my phone if possible. Any apps do those as downloads?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Tangled Metal wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 10:12am Yes loaded and downloaded. Not impressed with the free south lakeland map. OS was a lot better in detail even when zoomed in. I just thought the paid for version might have more details, but if what I think is being said the first, free map is what they are all like then I'm not sure it suits my needs. Both OS and Harvey's papery/ plastic maps are better. I think I'd prefer to get those maps on my phone if possible. Any apps do those as downloads?
I have the official OS map app which costs £27 odd per annum and I make the voluntary annual donation of £5.49 to OSM. Could you upload identical area images from OSM and OS to demonstrate how OS maps are better because I cant understand that? Also OSmaps dont seem to have data links?

Al
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Tangled Metal wrote: 11 Sep 2021, 10:12am OS was a lot better in detail
I can’t speak for OSMand I found it hard work on IOS.
I do use MapOut and I believe the same detail is there compared to OS but I find you’ve to get used to it . I’ve access to OS this year with Anquet £20/year but in all honesty I’ve rarely used it compared with MapOut.
Here’s a screenshot of somewhere you’ll know and can compare the detail.
Kentdale
Kentdale
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

A preference for different mapping often boils down to our old chum, personal taste. In the example shown in the pair posted by Paulatic, I prefer the OS' contour colouring (orange on white) which seems to stand out more than OSM's and also the kilometere grid is useful for gauging distance. The OS attempts to pack in as much info. as poss. by virtue of symbolic representation eg the colour and thickness of carrageways, whereas the OSM appears to be a little more 'to scale' which means it has a cleaner, leaner apperance. Truth is they are both compromises and so sacrifce one set of benefits to another - so no such thing as a perfect map... Nice to be able use both!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Thanks for the images but they show a difference clearly. First things I noticed were

Missing island in the river just up from nunnery beck.

OS maps have a track like detail near the footpath at the bottom of the maps. Walking south not having the track coukd confuse the inexperienced on the ground perhaps. It's often only a little detail missed that gets you lost. Either old map, incomplete map or user missed detail.
cjhancock

Post by cjhancock »

Hi,

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but there is a one-time-payment option for Maps+.

Go to Settings/Purchases/Learn more then click on one of the Maps+ features, e.g. "Monthly map updates", then "Continue with Maps+". Under the "Annually" option, there's a "One-time payment" option.

Hope that helps.

Chris