Riding to the COP26 climate meetings from London

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Dascmo

Riding to the COP26 climate meetings from London

Post by Dascmo »

I am hoping to ride self-supported from London to the COP26 climate meetings in Glasgow from October 26-November 1. I am from the U.S., and this will be the final part of my journey from Montana to Glasgow.

A few questions:

- Do you know of any organized groups doing this ride?
- Would you like to be part of such a ride?
- Any advice about the best route - I have consulted Cycle Travel and Google websites but would love to hear any locally-informed do's and don't's!

Thanks for any ideas and connections,
Dave from Missoula
mjr

Re: Riding to the COP26 climate meetings from London

Post by mjr »

- no, not yet. You're the first I know about
- yes but I will be working so cannot
- too far out of areas I know to offer much specific route help. Maybe it would be worth you visiting Milton Keynes on the way. There is some innovative housing there (and a lot of dross) and it is as close as the UK got to a cycleable city but screwed it up in major ways including easy motoring. Other than that, I can comment on generalities if you have questions.

But mainly, well done and good luck raising attention about COP. How are you getting to London? If flying, have you a defence ready against naysayers flinging mud?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There are a couple of organisations doing this. I cannot endorse them, but you are welcome to investigate for yourself...

https://www.wearedonation.com/en-gb/ind ... cle-cop26/
https://not1more.org/together-we-ride/

It may also be worth looking at Sustrans routes https://www.sustrans.org.uk/national-cycle-network
However, I also advise some caution... Some Sustrans routes are brilliant, paved off road, or quiet rural roads. Others have barriers, mud, and rough surfaces. So, if you think you are interested in a particular route, ask on here, or check against other sources.

I also recommend having a look at the Highway Code (rules of the road for Great Britain) https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/highw ... oad-safety as a few things are a bit different from the US, besides just driving on the other side of the road.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you end up doing this solo, rather than joining an existing group with a planned route, then choice of route may depend on what you want to achieve. eg If you are looking to maximise publicity for COP 26, then an urban route might be ideal as it might if you hoped to include some sightseeing. Otherwise, avoid urban areas. If you are looking for relatively easy riding on flat(tish) terrain then National Cycle Route One from London might be suitable, although you would have to decide at what point you intended to cross East to West.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Cycle_Route_1

London has plenty of things to attract visitors but I'm not convinced being the starting point of a cycling tour is one of them. You haven't mentioned how you will be travelling to get here.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 10:54am London has plenty of things to attract visitors but I'm not convinced being the starting point of a cycling tour is one of them. You haven't mentioned how you will be travelling to get here.
London keeps getting better for cycling lately, with a pace and consistency unlike any other English city. To get out north or northeast, CS1 and C1 are now probably a better alternative to NCN1 in London unless you really like gravel, locks and the backsides of power stations instead of tarmac and high streets... but either probably beats the long loop of NCN6 alongside the Grand Union Canal that used to be the main alternative to sides of the A1 or A10 or the awful bus lanes of the A5.

I think following them with NCN12 and NCN61 (or NCN1 NCN61 and NCN57 but that's longer) would be a pretty easy way to join NCN6 at St Albans to head north to the midlands, but there is a bit of NCN12 in North London that I don't know and a gap in it (which looks like an obvious one road to use, but I bet it's not great cycling if it's missing). Once in the midlands, it's probably best to pick one side of the Pennines or the other and the routes are radically different then.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Syd

Post by Syd »

One question from me.

How have you / will you be travel(ling) from Montana to London? I’m hoping this is also my some means preventing unnecessary carbon generation.

Good luck with your ride. I am hoping that this year’s flooding and wild fires will be a catalyst to generate a meaningful outcome from this round of climate meetings.
Dascmo

Post by Dascmo »

Thanks to you all for the good route information and connections!

I will be flying from D.C. to London and back, which is obviously not a good look for climate advocacy. To mitigate this bad impact I have created a local offset program with Climate Smart Missoula, a local NGO. We take in funds to offset personal and business carbon emissions and then use that money locally to help low-income people get better insulation and heating equipment (e.g. heat pumps) in their homes. This has a demonstrable carbon benefit for the climate, helps people of little means with their energy expenses, and supports local jobs in energy efficiency work. I can also see the projects in person and know that they are real and enduring (vs. some forest planting in Brazil).

Check it out at https://www.missoulafootprintfund.org/ We are hoping this idea might spread to other places, so get in touch if you want more details.

I will pay double offsets for my air travel through this program. This is not a morally perfect solution, but it's as good an idea as I have been able to come up with while traveling in a workable timeframe. My reason for going is to represent my region at the conference and to report back to my communities and organizations about what is happening beyond the headlines at the conference. I think it's worth it but not perfect by any means. I welcome constructive suggestions!

Thanks again,
Dave
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I remember Tyre Lady is heading that way with a Granny and a 13yo.
viewtopic.php?t=144037&start=30
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
slowster

Post by slowster »

The fact that people are flying to participate in climate change protests is counter-productive. It undermines the message to ordinary people that we all must make major changes in our environmental footprint.

Offsetting is greenwash - an excuse to carry on doing things that we should not. If an offsetting action is environmentally beneficial, it needs to be done in addition to people not flying.

Instead of flying here, make contact with those in Scotland who will be attending and campaigning. Ask them how you can assist and support them, and discuss how they might represent your community. They can provide you with the information to share with your communities and organisations.
Syd

Post by Syd »

^^^ this.

OP stay at home and do what slowster suggests.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Can’t imagine you’ll receive a warm welcome from fellow activists here. I would of thought that would put a bit of a downer on your trip and memories of. Best to stay local to fight the good fight.
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

Dascmo wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 11:22pm I am hoping to ride self-supported from London to the COP26 climate meetings in Glasgow from October 26-November 1. I am from the U.S., and this will be the final part of my journey from Montana to Glasgow.
I wondered if you are still intending to travel ? If you are, there are a few things you might want to be aware of. Scotland is a different legal jurisdiction from England; when you cross the border the law changes. The laws are generally similar to England but different. The Scots travel restrictions relating to the pandemic change on a roughly three week cycle. The restrictions may increase or decrease according to the current infection rate. As I write things are getting worse (which is why I'm writing). These restrictions are enforceable by law. You can see more information about this on;

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coron ... uarantine/

So far Scotland has suffered about 10,000 Covid deaths; multiply that by 60 to get the equivalent for the US. Very few people have been prosecuted for Covid offenses, it tends to be a secondary charge for people who have already got themselves into trouble with the cops.

A top tip is don't try to claim any sort of moral superiority from cycling from London; you will be handed that back on a plate. The first obvious question will be "where's yer boat ?". Second top tip; get yourself a jacket with a maple leaf on and pretend to be Canadian.

About the Scottish Police. According to what is written on their vans they are called "An Poileas", which is usually pronounced "The Polis". They will be running security at Cop26. Inside the conference compound has been declared a UN zone where Scots Law won't apply. The Polis have never had a full time riot squad before but one has been in full time training for several weeks now, in preparation for the conference. There is a small group of violent far right chums in Scotland who might enjoy having a pop at bunch of floppy green lefties, hence the riot squad training.

I don't know what mental image you might have of Scotland. It isn't Brigadoon. Here are a couple of Youtube clips which might give you an idea;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFubsxHTApw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvAUQsbKnLI

I live about 25 miles from the conference site. I won't be going. I have had enough tear gas in my life already, thanks.

Best of luck.
Agitate, educate, organise.
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Thanks for the info @tinnishill
Low carbon, zero waste running journey
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Paulatic wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 9:34pm I remember Tyre Lady is heading that way with a Granny and a 13yo.
viewtopic.php?t=144037&start=30
Yes am only now just trying to get stuff sorted with Granny and her Grand-daughter who doesn't have a bicycle yet.... guess she is going to copy me when I managed to borrow a bike in 2019 :)

@Dascmo - we are going to be cycling up on the West side of the UK using the National Cycle Network and raising funds for Sustrans
https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Team/P ... ightFuture

We will be leaving from a 2,500 year old tree where the Magna Carta was conceived in Runnymede and will be riding for a Terra Carta instead. We intend to end up at a tree planted by the Suffragettes in Glasgow. Will sort out a website soon.

You're welcome to meet up with us, but will be slow as Granny cycles about 6 miles an hour without a load!!!!. She is using her heavy mountain bike as it is all about a low carbon, zero waste ethos. We will use what we have. Nothing new
Tyre Lady

Post by Tyre Lady »

Dascmo wrote: 13 Aug 2021, 9:05pm Thanks to you all for the good route information and connections!

I will be flying from D.C. to London and back, which is obviously not a good look for climate advocacy. To mitigate this bad impact I have created a local offset program with Climate Smart Missoula, a local NGO. We take in funds to offset personal and business carbon emissions and then use that money locally to help low-income people get better insulation and heating equipment (e.g. heat pumps) in their homes. This has a demonstrable carbon benefit for the climate, helps people of little means with their energy expenses, and supports local jobs in energy efficiency work. I can also see the projects in person and know that they are real and enduring (vs. some forest planting in Brazil).

Check it out at https://www.missoulafootprintfund.org/ We are hoping this idea might spread to other places, so get in touch if you want more details.

I will pay double offsets for my air travel through this program. This is not a morally perfect solution, but it's as good an idea as I have been able to come up with while traveling in a workable timeframe. My reason for going is to represent my region at the conference and to report back to my communities and organizations about what is happening beyond the headlines at the conference. I think it's worth it but not perfect by any means. I welcome constructive suggestions!

Thanks again,
Dave
Dave - thank you for your mindfulness. I fully support what you are doing especially if you can effect some long term solutions. Additionally you're not flying around the world like Alok Sharma (30 countries in 7 months) who is supposed to be championing COP26, the UK govt wants to open a coal mine in Cumbria, there are several insurance companies and businesses that are opening up new coal mines in Asian countries.....

And if anyone else wants to continue to tell you what a hypocrite you are, ask them where their clothes come from, where their recycling goes, how much energy is used creating a washing machine (there are countries that do not even own a washing machine), how much waste are they producing a day, how much highly processed water they flush down the drain......and what are they doing to effect change on a wider scale.

The rich countries need to buck up and do much bigger steps and people need to stop pointing the finger at China and India otherwise stop purchasing products from them and start enabling our developing countries to get ahead by more alternative energy rather than helping them open up another coal mine to provide fuel for coal powered electricity generating stations. We in the Europe are creating more incinerators to burn out waste.... calling it waste to energy.....

So please do come and ignore any nay sayers. I presume you will be using a commercial airline that is mindful of waste. Perhaps it might be useful to look for one that is using sustainable aviation fuel.

If you go up the East Coast, there is a group walking from G7 to COP26 https://www.yccn.uk/

Let me know if I can help you in any other way. Hope to either meet you on the way or see you at Glasgow if hospital numbers for Covid flatline