Riding to the COP26 climate meetings from London

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Tinnishill

Re: Riding to the COP26 climate meetings from London

Post by Tinnishill »

Advice to a foreigner cycling from that London to Scotland ?

There are a couple of old threads which might be worth reading;

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=115609

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=114285

Our OP didn't mention accommodation plans. Campsites and hostels enroute are likely to be shutting for the winter. Warmshowers, AirBnB and booking.com might help with a bed for the night. There are several chains of motel type providers who don't advertise much apart from their own websites. These are Premier Inn, Days Inn, Travelodge; their prices vary wildly according to demand.

While heading north be aware that bike theft rates are quite high in cities and around tourist hot spots. Keep an eye on your kit. If you want to cross a big urban area, or circumstances put you behind your timetable, you can carry your bike on a train; booking details on https://www.thetrainline.com/journey-planner.

Accommodation in Glasgow for Cop26 is going to be at a premium. There are about 10,000 accredited delegates and their hangers-on expected plus another 20,000 random tourists. Anybody who hasn't already got a bed fixed up might be in trouble.

This site might help; https://ukcop26.org/

The denizens of Glasgow are known as "weegies". Don't expect them to be universally welcoming. It is a poor stereotype that weegies are a bit stabby, but there is a certain history to that. A fair number of the locals are pretty supportive of Cop26, most are looking forward to some entertaining street theatre and are indifferent to the actual event, a sizeable minority are quite upset that they have had this foreign invasion imposed on them in a plague year. The worldwide threat of climate change and the reality of the Cop26 conference are regarded as two separate issues.

Like Thirdcrank said
if you want advice/ information about cycling routes and other similar matters, then ask questions about that.
Best of luck again.
Agitate, educate, organise.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd never heard of weegies - presumably "Glaswegians."

Here's one, for the purposes of identification
R.jpg
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tinnishill wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 2:45pm, you can carry your bike on a train; booking details on https://www.thetrainline.com/journey-planner.
Don't book on trainline because they charge booking fees. I think GWR.com is still ok but search the forum for the latest news. I've not booked bikes recently enough to be sure what works because my local trains do not require bike tickets/reservations.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

There's an update on here. The cycling bit is well down the page.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58809709
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

cycle to cop.jpg
From our bedroom window this morning
No pasaran
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

FWIW the GIVE WAY sign looks to be facing the wrong way. Of course, anybody familiar with their roads signs will still know it's a GIVE WAY sign because of its unique appearance
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

Wonderful piece of micro-observation from someone obviously well trained by the SHMGS * Police Academy.

Seriously: the sign is there for the 'dangerous' crossroad out of the picture to the left. We average approx one car accident per month at the crossroads: one fatality and two serious injuries since we have lived here, and in spite of numerous hassles from us residents there appears to be no way to persuade "them" to do anything useful. Happily no cyclist have been injured here. I suspect a conspiracy by local car bodyshops.

Nobody in Lancashire would be bothered about the lack of a sign at the end of the short lane, and there isn't one at this end either. If we had signs on the ends of all the lanes the huge visual clutter would totally obfuscate the ones that matter - bit like everyone on the airfield wearing HiVis so everyone stops noticing it.

*( Sherlock Holmes Magnifying Glass Squinters)
No pasaran
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Edit

I posted about GIVE WAY marking but the regs have been changed. p 22 here

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ter-03.pdf

Unless you don't want to reveal your location, how about a streetview?
slowster

Post by slowster »

ncutler wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 9:48am cycle to cop.jpg

Where are the panniers/saddlebags?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

slowster wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 12:16pm
ncutler wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 9:48am cycle to cop.jpg

Where are the panniers/saddlebags?
If they are heading to COP then they must have a big van back up?

At the time that pic was posted Jessie had just gone through Crook of Lune?
Edit: If that makes no sense I was confused :lol: Thought I was in the 16yo thread.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Listening to Radio4 yesterday, there is a dire shortage of accommodation for COP26 in Glasgow. Basically, if you haven’t got anything booked, then don’t go. They were hoping that some gymnasiums/sports halls would be opened up to accommodate people, but this has not happened. I wonder about the suitability of actually holding the event in Glasgow, given the above. Does anyone know why Glasgow was chosen?

London has better transport links for those travelling internationally - Eurostar for Continental travellers and several airports for those who’ve had to fly in.

Edited for typo.
Last edited by TrevA on 28 Oct 2021, 6:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

Parallel thread on 'ere

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=148291
RickH

Post by RickH »

TrevA wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 5:58pm Listening to Radio4 yesterday, there is a dire shortage of accommodation for COP26 in Glasgow. Basically, if you haven’t got anything booked, then don’t go. They were hoping that some gymnasiums/sports halls would be opened up to accommodate people, but this has not happened. I wonder about the suitability of actually holding the event in Glasgow, given the above. Does anyone know why Glasgow was chosen?

London has better transport links for those travelling internationally - Eurostar for Continental travellers and several airports for those who’ve had to fly in.

Edited for typo.
Then lots of people start complaining that London gets more than its share of big events & why don't other cities get them!

Along with any perceived benefits - directly with the hospitality industry, but more generally to show off your city on the world stage.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

by Tinnishill » 26 Aug
Dascmo wrote: ↑12 Aug 2021, 11:22pm I am hoping to ride self-supported from London to the COP26 climate meetings in Glasgow from October 26-November 1. I am from the U.S., and this will be the final part of my journey from Montana to Glasgow.
I live about 25 miles from the conference site. I won't be going. I have had enough tear gas in my life already, thanks.

Best of luck.
I did go, after all.
Cop26.jpg
Can't say what effect any of it will have. The phrases which have been completely absent from everything Cop26 related that I have seen or heard are "population growth" and "economic growth".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59198144

The bin men are still on strike. Their union leaders publicly thanked the protesters for leaving the parks in a good state.