fort william car parking

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
david12656

fort william car parking

Post by david12656 »

i am going cycling in scotland thought i would drive up to fort william leave the car there anyone know anywere to leave the car i dont mind paying
thanks dave
DaveyDave

Post by DaveyDave »

Hi David,
There are a couple of long term car parks in Fort William - ask at the Tourist Centre in the main street and they'll tell you about them. There's one right next to the docks and another behind the coach station. I've used the latter with no problems. You can buy a special ticket from the tourist centre that you put on your dashboard instead of feeding a machine with the appropriate parking charge - I would suggest doing that.

Incidentally, I did a tour from Oban up to Ullapool and then down the Western Isles a few years back which was pretty damn good.

Good luck,
Dave
bodach

Post by bodach »

Docks? Fort William? They would charge you for breathing up there if they could find a way.
DaveyDave

Post by DaveyDave »

bodach wrote:Docks? Fort William? They would charge you for breathing up there if they could find a way.

Yes, that's why I thought the one behind the coach station was better!. Alternatively, you could chance your arm by parking in a residential street.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

DaveyDave wrote:Alternatively, you could chance your arm by parking in a residential street.

Google Earth is pretty good for checking out likely streets in advance. Ideally you'd pick somewhere where quite a number of the residents park on-street, but not so many that they'd be protective about "their" space.

PS google earth of Fort Bill is low-resolution, so there's no point trying it.
Last edited by andrew_s on 22 Jul 2008, 11:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
bodach

Post by bodach »

andrew_s has it right.Residential streets are not necessarly a good idea. The locals get very resentful as in my own street at not being ably to park because of tourists. The only time my vehicle has been burgled was in a quiet back street in Largs.I happened to be sleeping in the back at the time so it only ! cost me a broken side window.Try the local cycle club - West Highland Wheelers or mebbe even the local police. The tourist office is only there to benefit its members so is not to be relied on for non member parking facilities.
bodach

Post by bodach »

It has been suggested to me the the Edinburgh Woollen Mill car park at the N.end of Ft Wm. at the foot of Glen Nevis would be a good place to park.Out of the town centre where there are the same problems as in all towns nowadays. One of the large hotels on the N. of the town is also suggested.There is ample parking and you could come to some arrangement tho' my informant said "they are too dozey to notice" but that is only his opinion.
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

Can't remember if FT William has a Lidl or an Aldi but they are ok about campervans and motorhomes parking in their car parks, apparently, if you speak to the boss and agree to buy your groceries there, so maybe a car would be ok if you purchased your requirements there?
bodach

Post by bodach »

There is a Lidl in Ft Wm. but most now have about a 2 hour parking window before penalties kick in.
drj

Post by drj »

I'm leaving the car at Airparks Glasgow, Burnbrae Drive. This a longstay for the airport and cost ~£50 for 2wks. I guess for the money you get peace of mind.

For me the key advantage is the car park is by the Paisley and Clyde Railway Path to the Greenock Ferries.