What Goes Round - Panniers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bmblbzzz

Re: What Goes Round - Panniers

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It was an American standard from the 30’s onward and the reason the first MTB designers adopted it because the size was commonly available. They were racing on Schwinns (Fat Tyre Flyers) and the like before building up their own frames.
This much is commonly known.
Schwalbe named the current Nobby Nic in homage to the original Uniroyal Nobby 26x2.25 (57-559)
This was new to me. Uniroyal! Apparently they were one of the original twelve stocks in the Dow Jones but they're now owned by Michelin and Continental, depending on region. I vaguely remember there being Uniroyal trainers (or sneakers or whatever we called them in the 1970s or '80s).
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

jgurney

Post by jgurney »

PH wrote: 2 Sep 2021, 4:11pm
jgurney wrote: 2 Sep 2021, 10:27am The current issue of Cycle uses the word 'bikepacking' many times with no mention whatsoever of any other forms of cycle-camping.
It's very limiting to consider touring only involves camping, it's a far wider activity,
I quite agree, and had not suggested otherwise. Cycle-hostelling, for example, is a form of touring.

My point was that Cycle seems to be currently focussing on bikepacking while ignoring other kinds of cycle camping, not other forms of non-camping touring.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mattheus wrote: 1 Sep 2021, 4:35pm
horizon wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 1:01pm I've decided that carrying a rucksack for backpacking is sooo old fashioned. So I'm looking for small bags that I can straps to my arms and legs, supplemented by a very large bum-bag. If I need to carry more (which I will), I will use a bag strapped to my head, one on my chest and two smaller ones strapped onto my feet. I will then spend my time trying to think of completely fatuous reasons why this set-up has several advantages (such as not knocking things over when you turn around in a fancy gift-ware shop).
Fantastic.

I suggest you launch your own brand for this kit - quick, before I steal the idea.
It's already been launched and is very highly regarded in its own niche.
https://www.aarnpacks.com/pages/balance
nsew

Post by nsew »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 2 Sep 2021, 1:45pm I'd guess the first 559 tourers came from one of the American manufacturers probably also in the 1930s, maybe earlier. Probably not Schwinn, they used a different size I think.
I looked into this and found what I thought to be true that Americans had limited interest in bicycles for several decades after the introduction of the car. They rekindled their interest in the 60s and had a ‘bike boom’ in the early 70s (bikes outselling cars in ‘72). For 50 years bikes were basically for kids, beach cruising and the poor. Conclusion is that the first dedicated 559 tourers were almost certainly British and were created by the frame builders of the day on request. Tony Oliver wrote in ‘89 that “most of my ATB orders are for light, touring versions. I sometimes use over-size tubing but not normally”. Roberts was copying a Ritchey mountain bike when he put the ‘84 bike together and clearly saw it as a bike to be toured on.
scottg

Post by scottg »

For a look at an early American touring bike.
Wheels are 700c.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/org/otb.html

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/OTB.htm
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++