What Goes Round - Panniers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

What Goes Round - Panniers

Post by simonhill »

Without wishing to revive the whole bikepacking debate - some hope!

It seems that special bikepacking specific panniers are now being marketed.

"Tailfin has released 5L and 10L Mini Panniers that it claims are strong and secure enough for attacking some serious off-road routes. “It’s our intention for them to finally put pannier bags back in the running for use on modern bikepacking adventures,” says Tailfin."

What comes round......

https://road-cc.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/ ... use-285605
foxyrider

Re: What Goes Round - Panniers

Post by foxyrider »

simonhill wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 10:22am Without wishing to revive the whole bikepacking debate - some hope!

It seems that special bikepacking specific panniers are now being marketed.

"Tailfin has released 5L and 10L Mini Panniers that it claims are strong and secure enough for attacking some serious off-road routes. “It’s our intention for them to finally put pannier bags back in the running for use on modern bikepacking adventures,” says Tailfin."

What comes round......

https://road-cc.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/ ... use-285605
fools and their money......... :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PH

Post by PH »

It's an evolution not a revolution.
Right from the start, when Tailfin was still a Kickstarter project, they were offering panniers, around 25L I think, very light and apparently very stable on their rack. What's being offered here is something smaller and very light, some may find that useful, a bit small for me, but something between these and the traditional 30L size might be useful. I modified a pair of Ortlieb Front Rollers about twenty years ago, but they're coming to the end of their life so I've been looking around. There's a few smaller panniers now available, well at least narrower, those I've seen:
Ortlieb Gravel
Revelate Nano
Altura Heritage
Hinterland Jr. Ranger
There's probably others, I haven't done an extensive search.
More people considering carrying luggage is a good thing, if they do so because it's seen as trendy that's no bad thing.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yeah but no but there's a rack :mrgreen:
Snag proof pannier bags?
That's a bit like hundred percent waterproof isn't it!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Ages ago, I worked out that the framework bolted to the bike required to attach panniers to weighed a significant proportion of the total weight of luggage and dealing-with-luggage, so I took to strapping light-weight dry bags to the frame, all colour-coded according to contents, so I guess I was a bit ahead of the curve on that one. :D
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
slowster

Post by slowster »

My 30 year old Karrimor 13 litre panniers are now cutting edge. There is much less need to buy new kit when you get to a certain age - just wait for your old kit to become on trend again.

I think that a big factor in the development and marketing of small panniers for off-road use, is that the attachment systems do not have to be as strong as those for full size rear panniers, assuming that the weight carried is much lower in small volume bags. At some point the reduction in weight probably makes straps, webbing and buckles a better fastening system for off-road use than the rigid attachment systems on Ortlieb and Carradice panniers, e.g. better at coping with vibration and the shocks of off-road surfaces. Decades ago Carradice's panniers were fastened to the pannier rails with leather straps and buckles like their saddlebags are fastened to a saddle's bag loops.
PH

Post by PH »

slowster wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 11:54am My 30 year old Karrimor 13 litre panniers are now cutting edge.
Is that 13L each or a pair?
Either way they make you trendy :lol:
If you came to sell them, you'd probably find they're more desirable than they were a few years ago.
slowster

Post by slowster »

PH wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 3:16pm Is that 13L each or a pair?
Either way they make you trendy :lol:
If you came to sell them, you'd probably find they're more desirable than they were a few years ago.
13L each. I just need to figure how best to market them. How does infinitely variable, self-adjusting, bike-packing specific retention system sound*?

(*elastic hook)

And if my panniers are back on trend, I wonder what else I've got tucked away in some corner that might be the next big thing.
PH

Post by PH »

slowster wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 3:57pm And if my panniers are back on trend, I wonder what else I've got tucked away in some corner that might be the next big thing.
My sound but well worn Carradice fronts sold on Ebay for more than I paid new and not far off the replacement cost if that's what I'd wanted to do. Of course I don't know why three people were bidding beyond my expectation, I'm just glad they did. The fashion for "distressed" clothing does seem to have transferred to cycling luggage.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Front Carradice panniers are 15L each. I use them on a rear rack.

If you go for a tubus fly rack (so not even the titanium one ) and go for the super light Altura panniers. You end up with a lighter setup than tail fin with their super light option. If you strap a dry bag on top of fly for bike packing you go far lighter and again.
scottg

Post by scottg »

slowster wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 11:54am Decades ago Carradice's panniers were fastened to the pannier rails with leather straps and buckles like their saddlebags are fastened to a saddle's bag loops.
Brooks has been selling these for a few years.

https://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/bri ... nnier.html
bb001-a07266-brick_lane-cotton_canvas-15l-grey-3-4_1.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

How much!?

Pah!
Made my own...
PXL_20210815_211716662.jpg
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
PH

Post by PH »

Vantage wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 7:37pm How much!?

Pah!
Made my own...
Very nice, have you a photo of the other side?
freiston

Post by freiston »

Vantage wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 7:37pm How much!?

Pah!
Made my own...

PXL_20210815_211716662.jpg
Very nice - well made and designed, by the look of it :-)

I reckon we have a fair bit in common...
...not least Rennie tablets and a Sansa Clip ;-)

P.S. I've just made myself a 3 litre roll-top saddle bag for tools, lock etc.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
pwa

Post by pwa »

In theory, and all other things being equal ( which they never are), if you have a requirement for. say, thirty five litres of storage and you can do it with a smaller number of big bags or a larger number of small bags, the big bags will work out more efficient in terms of weight. To work out lighter the smaller bags must be made of lighter materials. But the big bags need a rack, which adds weight but is easy to load. You pays your money................

To me, any bag smaller than about 10l is too faffy for packing to be worth having. So for me, panniers have never gone away.
Last edited by pwa on 22 Aug 2021, 3:42am, edited 1 time in total.