What Goes Round - Panniers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PH

Re: What Goes Round - Panniers

Post by PH »

Round up of small panniers aimed at those who wish to back light, for whatever reason and whatever they wish to call their ride:
https://bikepacking.com/index/panniers-for-bikepacking/
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Vantage wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 7:37pm How much!?

Pah!
Made my own...
Respect. What you made looks good so you’re obviously very skilled with textiles. It’s not something within my skill-set but I’d certainly be interested in knowing more about such home made solutions.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've decided that carrying a rucksack for backpacking is sooo old fashioned. So I'm looking for small bags that I can straps to my arms and legs, supplemented by a very large bum-bag. If I need to carry more (which I will), I will use a bag strapped to my head, one on my chest and two smaller ones strapped onto my feet. I will then spend my time trying to think of completely fatuous reasons why this set-up has several advantages (such as not knocking things over when you turn around in a fancy gift-ware shop).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Luv it.
PH

Post by PH »

I really don't understand why people get so snide about such things. more people are getting on bikes and going somewhere, is there a downside? Does it matter that they do it a bit different to you? Or call it something other than touring? Or want a different style of kit? Are people threatened by this? Do they think what others do effects them?
The article and reviews I posted above is by Cass Gilbert, it gives a pretty good summary of how such small panniers might be used and the reasons for their evolution. You don't have to agree, or use that kit, you may have more experience than him, or otherwise somehow know better, let's hear it. No one has claimed they've re-invented the wheel, or that you're somehow wrong...
Of course I know that people buy stuff like those they "follow" when they're usage doesn't require it. That's not new, plenty of people have always had expedition quality kit without doing anything that could be described as such, me included.
horizon

Post by horizon »

PH wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 1:57pm I really don't understand why people get so snide about such things.
Because people love a good discussion about things that are new or changing. :D And because I don't think we really know what is going on here (me included). Is it just fashion? Is it because MTBs don't have good pannier rack functionality? Is it because there's a move to off-road touring (especially since more routes are opening up)?
More people are getting on bikes and going somewhere,
Yes, and they are doing it differently and their choice of equipment will reflect this.
Is there a downside?
Only if we throw out a really practical, well-tried solution (pannier racks) just because it is seen as passe or because bike designers haven't yet caught up with the need to incorporate carrying capacity into road bikes and MTBs.

I do take your point by the way - this adds more options and might solve certain problems so it isn't a bad thing. Maybe it's just the way it gets written about - but I can live with that.

PS Just to add, I did read the link article and thought it excellent - a well balanced view.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Blondie wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 7:19pm Front Carradice panniers are 15L each. I use them on a rear rack.

If you go for a tubus fly rack (so not even the titanium one ) and go for the super light Altura panniers. You end up with a lighter setup than tail fin with their super light option. If you strap a dry bag on top of fly for bike packing you go far lighter and again.
My thoughts exactly - its's a great rack - I often use it with two small panniers and a 15 litre ortlieb strapped sideways on the top.
Sweep
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

PH wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 8:14pm
Vantage wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 7:37pm How much!?

Pah!
Made my own...
Very nice, have you a photo of the other side?
Rixon&Kaul Twist hooks on the back bolted to a 2mm thick alloy plate running the length and breadth of the bag. They're a little loose on the rack but nothing a bit of inner tube can't solve.
The issue at the moment is securing the bottom of the bag. For love nor money I can't seem to find a rail narrow enough to use the r&k standard bottom clamps.
I've considered velcro but it's faffy and I'm not convinced it'll be secure enough.
I've made these strictly for carrying food supplies.
Currently working on a matching bar bag and then a pair of bigger rear panniers.
Been sewing since last October. :)
PXL_20210821_191103152.jpg
I swear that pic was in portrait mode when I uploaded it... :shock:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
PH

Post by PH »

Vantage wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 8:18pm Rixon&Kaul Twist hooks on the back bolted to a 2mm thick alloy plate running the length and breadth of the bag. They're a little loose on the rack but nothing a bit of inner tube can't solve.
Thanks, the back looks as neat as the front.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Vantage wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 7:37pm Made my own...
They look very good. I expect they are also very strong, due to the webbing going completely around the bags.
Vantage wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 8:18pm The issue at the moment is securing the bottom of the bag. For love nor money I can't seem to find a rail narrow enough to use the r&k standard bottom clamps.
I've considered velcro but it's faffy and I'm not convinced it'll be secure enough.
Do you need to use the R&K lower clamps? If so could you not fit the R&K rail at an angle to reduce its effective horizontal width?

Alternatively Ortlieb offer a variety of rails. The one used on their Sport Roller front panniers has 150mm bolt centres:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/ort ... ql21-rail/

This one looks even shorter, but I cannot see it on Ortlieb's website, so it might be discontinued. Apparently it is only for racks with 10mm tubing (whereas the hooks on the QL2.1 rail above have a choice of two settings for different diameter tubing):

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/ort ... rail-e109/

This one looks very short and is for 16mm tubing, which according to the comments suggests it is suitable for the Tubus low rider rack:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/ort ... rail-e110/

Various other Ortlieb rails listed on SJS's website, but they look longer:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ortlieb-spa ... +ascending
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Ah thank you slowster. Some of those look like they'll actually work quite well.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Vantage wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 11:50pm Ah thank you slowster. Some of those look like they'll actually work quite well.
I think the first one, which uses the QL2.1 system hooks, might be the best option. It is the current/latest model and so should be the most evolved/refined design and continue to have good spares availability. If you want the option to use the panniers on a rear rack as well as on a front rack with a different tubing diameter, the QL2.1 hooks can be very quickly respaced without tools (just partly undo the plastic knob and rotate the spacer behind the hook through 90 degrees). I don't know if the QL2.1 hooks could be used in the other rails.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/0-o ... ng-screws/
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

PH wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 1:57pm I really don't understand why people get so snide about such things...
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.
Mark Twain, reputedly.

I think the issue is that lots of cyclists on this forum and elsewhere have been touring with various sorts of bags and various sorts of bikes for lots of years, on lots of sorts of terrain. Then a few years ago the hip new world of bikepacking arose and we learnt that we'd been doing it wrong all along and that the new kids had the new way, and it was all straps and lots of tiny bags on gravel bikes.

So when the bikepacking kids start accepting that there may be a place for dad's old racks and panniers after all, I think dad can allow himself a wry smile. And it's all cyclical - fat tyres, drop handlebars, 700c wheels and all the rest. Ortlieb are doing a bikepacking 'QR' handlebar bag which looks remarkably like the well-refined bar bags tourists have been developing for years. I'm greatly looking forward to the reinvention of the triple, perhaps about 2026.

None of this is to deny the value and utility of gravel bikes and bikepacking kit in general and specifically for some types of ride, and it all helps to move the tech along. And that this stuff is fashionable and social-media friendly is good too. If it gets more people touring, as PH says that's ultimately the best thing. My mate Neil would never be seen dead on a Dawes Galaxy with four Carradice panniers or a saddlebag, but he's well excited about going touring with me on his Merida carbon gravel bike with ReStrap bikepacking bags. And he's 60.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
nsew

Post by nsew »

Long before what we perceive as the classic touring bike rig there were people travelling across continents by bike with bags attached to the frame and bars. I believe ‘Bikepacking’ as we know it today formed out of cyclists tackling the American Adventure Cycling Assoc. Great Divide Mountain Bike Route which then hosted the Tour Divide Race. The first off road race where it was necessary to ride self supported for days on end. No doubt in the early days many will have used racks and panniers on the route and run into all sorts of problems. Hence the need to strap bags to the frame and bars. The racers want to carry the bare minimum for speed and eliminate rattle which leads to failure. Now they seem to be designing lightweight bags that fix extremely securely to lightweight racks because it’s easier to arrange and access stuff, all without upping the weight significantly. We can take what we want from both systems. There are no rules.
Attachments
D66C0510-C427-41AB-805D-85F88E14C6AD.png
71B8E7C1-A6B4-4838-AD34-6D0041C59F31.jpeg
CC382DDF-6913-4088-8917-1D429B19455E.jpeg
nsew

Post by nsew »

Great Divide Mountain Bike Route formed 1997
Attachments
EABF2261-12AE-486B-8C58-C3E604567519.jpeg