Coasts and castles clothing kit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
st599_uk

Re: Coasts and castles clothing kit

Post by st599_uk »

Paulatic wrote:Northumberland in October
I wouldn’t even consider shorts or short sleeved shirts. High and low temperatures are 11/4 C
I never wear shorts below 12C and you can always roll up long sleeves if needed.
One issue is riding through dunes, you may need to deal with wind blown fine sand.

Not sure about needing long trousers and sleeves. Used to camp in Northumberland with the scouts in January, Bermuda shorts were de rigeur.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

OJ1999 wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 3:55am Over trousers are something else I’ve considered but do they provide significantly more weather protection that shorts and knee warmers?
You can handle cold, wet and cold is different. But I think that this is an area where preferences vary greatly.

OJ1999 wrote: 27 Aug 2021, 3:55amAnd as I’ll be staying in buildings along the way I’m thinking of packing some non riding clothes which I’d wear when off the bike. I know this’ll add a bit of extra weight but I won’t be camping so therefore I’ll have some extra space spared on what would otherwise be camping gear.
I like to take *evening clothes that I can ride in if I have to. Ditto nightwear and swimming trunks.

Jonathan

* Apart from the DJ.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

My take would be

2 base layers tech t shirts are good.

2 long sleeve midlayer cycling tops. Perhaps one thin other thicker?

2 pairs tights one thin / one thermal can double up if really cold / sore!

1 thin waterproof cycling jacket.

Light hiking trousers, fleece jacket and underwear for evening means you can feel human for a few hours!

I wouldn't bother with arm/leg warmers or overshoes.

If using spd / look pedals get some shoes you can easily walk in. I use Shimano spd shoes which are great.

Cheers James
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I would agree on waterproof trousers. Not always needed and I’ve done plenty of riding in the rain without them but there’s a certain point where you can start to lose body heat due to getting wet and I need waterproof trousers- most recently when touring up on the Mason Dixon line- no people for a while and a gently slog on crushed limestone which was rather slow to get over the eastern continental divide). You’ll still arrive soggy but not too cold. I also like overshoes for similar reasons. Depending on my trip I sometimes take a woolly hat and thermal gloves.

I also use shimano mountain bike style shoes- as said above easier to walk in for tourers rather than road warriors out for a swift 100km circuit. Depends what works for you of course.

I’ve never tried detachable arms. I tend to add of subtract layers in total with cycle top, lightweight fleece and waterproof and windproof shell. Some people get on well with gilet type arrangements though- it’s personal choice based on what you usually ride in.

Off the bike- I use the same tops and other layers but have a pair of non cycle shorts or trousers (depending on the weather) and a pair of non cycle shoes.

Like many here I’ve spent enough time in remote spots away from other humans or up mountains in not great weather ie heavy rain, strong winds and occasional snow that my priority is not to get too wet or too cold (and then to find a nice warm bar or tent/hotel to sit the weather out in).
Bullsnut

Post by Bullsnut »

I’m reading this post with interest as I need to get some better quality clothing for touring. Can anyone recommend any particular bib shorts or tights that are comfortable for a tour but won’t break the bank or a particular supplier or online store worth checking out for touring specific clothing?
SprokenBroke

Post by SprokenBroke »

A wooly hat.