Coasts and castles clothing kit

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
OJ1999

Coasts and castles clothing kit

Post by OJ1999 »

Hello fabulous people!
Okay soooo,
I’m planning on doing the coast and castles route northbound during October.
I just wanted to get some help around the clothing.
I’ve done a fair bit of Googling but just wanted to get some opinions on here.

This is what I’m planning to take on my ride:
Bibs
Merino long sleeved base layer
Long sleeved jersey
Fleece ( as mid layer)
Shell ( as outer weatherproofing layer)
Cycling socks + liners
Trainers
Obvs helmet
Gloves

Is there something from here I shouldn’t be taking or an article I’m missing?

One thing I’m curious about are arm + leg warmers.

I think leg warmers would be appropriate to keep my bottom half warm but how appropriate are arm warmers If I’m wearing a long sleeved base layer anyway?

Any more info on other kit I would be very appreciative of your responses.
Thank you!
ANTONISH

Re: Coasts and castles clothing kit

Post by ANTONISH »

OJ1999 wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 6:42pm Hello fabulous people!
Okay soooo,
I’m planning on doing the coast and castles route northbound during October.
I just wanted to get some help around the clothing.
I’ve done a fair bit of Googling but just wanted to get some opinions on here.

This is what I’m planning to take on my ride:
Bibs
Merino long sleeved base layer
Long sleeved jersey
Fleece ( as mid layer)
Shell ( as outer weatherproofing layer)
Cycling socks + liners
Trainers
Obvs helmet
Gloves

Is there something from here I shouldn’t be taking or an article I’m missing?

One thing I’m curious about are arm + leg warmers.

I think leg warmers would be appropriate to keep my bottom half warm but how appropriate are arm warmers If I’m wearing a long sleeved base layer anyway?

Any more info on other kit I would be very appreciative of your responses.
Thank you!
You could have a short sleeved base layer with arm warmers.
Trainers? are they cycling specific or is that your normal footwear?
Bib shorts - a matter of preference - I prefer ordinary shorts with some elastic hacked out and supported by braces - makes life easy for removal if necessary.
Leg warmers in my experience are OK when new but lose elasticity over time - again it's a personal preference - I wear Ronhill tracksters over my shorts.
What sort of gloves? I usually have a pair of track mitts but something warmer or waterproof may also be needed.
At that time of the year the weather can be very variable so you may need overtrousers (mine are cut off just below the knee) or Rainlegs - I have a feeling you would not be using a cape.
Other than that I think your list is pretty good - there is nothing wrong with it apart from personal preference.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

I think this is your first post.

Have you done anything like this before?

Will you be camping or staying in buildings?

Jonathan
OJ1999

Post by OJ1999 »

Hi Jonathan no I haven’t done anything like this before.

I’ll be staying in buildings along the way
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Would you ever wear all of those layers at once?

Does that include waterproof trousers or similar?

I also carry both light and waterproof gloves, but in October you might be fine with just the waterproof pair.

I like to have another pair of shoes in which I can ride if I have to.

What are you going to wear for dinner?

Have fun

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

All the best for an enjoyable ride. That's a lovely part of the country but check the weather forecast. My first taste of the weather in that bit of the world was when I went in the post office in Seahouses and the chap behind the counter remarked it was a "lazy wind." It doesn't go round, it just cuts straight through you. It can be pretty autumnal in October so make sure you have warm togs.

Above all, enjoy yourself; it's a great area.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Northumberland in October
I wouldn’t even consider shorts or short sleeved shirts. High and low temperatures are 11/4 C
I never wear shorts below 12C and you can always roll up long sleeves if needed.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

There are lots of unknowns here. Bike type, cycling style, etc. Is it a heads down 2 day run on a road bike or a gentle pootle on a hybrid. Have you ridden in challenging weather? Etc, etc - but you get my thoughts.

Also when in October? It is a transition month and there is a lot of difference between late and early, not least, about 2 hours less daylight.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Paulatic wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 6:52pm Northumberland in October
I wouldn’t even consider shorts or short sleeved shirts. High and low temperatures are 11/4 C
I never wear shorts below 12C and you can always roll up long sleeves if needed.
When I was young I attended a training course organised by a Belgian cyclist (he was in the Belgian squad for the 1936 Olympics).
He advised us not to wear shorts in temperatures below 20 C to protect our knees- I have generally stuck to this advice - although these days I may wear shorts down to 17C. The knees are still holding up.
On short sleeves - I was in France in September a couple of years ago and there were a couple of very cold mornings.
I had SS cycling top with SS base layer which I wore with arm warmers and tracksters over shorts.
Fleece and Altura jacket.
As the day wore on I gradually dispensed with layers until I was wearing the short sleeve top with shorts.
I sometimes make use of a sheet of newspaper as a windbreak - doesn't add much to the load.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think it's important to be prepared for unplanned stops: punctures etc. You may be warm enough riding energetically, but the warmer you are through your efforts, the colder you will get if you have to stop for any length of time without warm togs. It's already been pointed out that the nights draw in quickly in October so decent lights are a good precaution. Also, away from the big urban areas, it's pretty dark at night so a front light to see where you are going is more important than a bobby dodger
PH

Post by PH »

More socks. Nothing IMO is more miserable on a bike ride than having to put on wet socks and however many pairs you think you need the right number is always +1. Likewise gloves, though for me, not to the same extent.
Otherwise, whatever else you'd be riding in at this time of year. As well as being prepared for poor weather, don't forget there can also be some really nice October days, or how quickly they can change.
The other question is laundry, are you expecting to do any, or take enough to get through how ever many days it is with what you carry? That changes what I take on a short tour, quick drying becomes a priority for anything I'm going to need to wash.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

As a Northumbrian I would suggest warm clothes, wind proof clothes and waterproof clothes, including gloves. It is always windy and mostly the wrong way. I do wear shorts all the year round but October to April I wear merino tights.

There is much less precipitation than people think: indeed it is one of the driest places in the UK. But if it rains and is also windy you will suffer. Wind is much more of a problem than rain.

Have a great time in a beautiful place.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Yes as OldJohn says it is a dry county. I used to winter 200 cows on the Northumbrian coast in yards without roofs. They were always extremely healthy and happy cattle. Must have been the sea air. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
OJ1999

Post by OJ1999 »

Thank you soooo much for your amazing responses.

Okay so after having read through all your replies I’ve got a renewed list.

So if I’m warm I’ll wear:
Long sleeved base layer - can roll up if it’s warm
Regular workout- top to replace a jersey
Bib shorts - with padding
Gloves - water resistant for versatility
Socks
Overshoes - to prevent shoes and feet from getting wet.

Now when the weather gets cooler ( I know it’ll be cold):
I’ll wear:
Gilet- to add insulation . My long sleeved base can already provide warmth to arms
Leg warmers
Neck warmer / head covering

For bad weather:
The gillet will help provide wind protection
I’ll also put on a rain jacket

Couple of things I’m still debating about is whether arm warmers would be necessary when I’ve got a long sleeved base.
Even so, I could instead bring a long sleeved jersey instead of a regular workout top. In this case I’d have ls base + ls jersey and then where would the function of arm warmers come in.

Over trousers are something else I’ve considered but do they provide significantly more weather protection that shorts and knee warmers?

And as I’ll be staying in buildings along the way I’m thinking of packing some non riding clothes which I’d wear when off the bike. I know this’ll add a bit of extra weight but I won’t be camping so therefore I’ll have some extra space spared on what would otherwise be camping gear.

Ta
Oscar
climo

Post by climo »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Aug 2021, 4:50pm What are you going to wear for dinner?
His DJ of course! :)