Cycling the Spanish Mediterranean Coast

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Cycling the Spanish Mediterranean Coast

Post by simonhill »

Has anyone done it, or part of it? If so what was it like.

I am not naive about the 'joys' of coastal cycling and know that most of it will be semi-urban cycling through resort towns. After all, I live in an English resort town. I am looking for somewhere to go Oct and Nov and this could be an opportunity to see all the Costas, etc that otherwise I am unlikely to ever see.

Hopefully in October, the masses will have departed and the towns and roads shouldn't be manically busy. Also, when touring, I like to see places as much as countryside and often cycle through towns. I have cycled across Tokyo to mention but one of my big cities.

My thinking is that there will be plenty of accomodation, places to eat, etc. I can do shortish days and slowly make my way down to the far south, possible even Portugal. I won't be camping and am not interested in inland mountainous routes as the weather will be chilling down and also I don't want to be caught out if there is a sudden lockdown. There is a Eurovelo (8) route but I usually find these a bit of a pain and would rather make my own route.

Happy to hear "you must be mad" - with reasons.
bikepacker

Re: Cycling the Spanish Mediterranean Coast

Post by bikepacker »

It was back in 2006 I joined the coast near Vejer and cycled as close as I could to the sea via Tarifa and Algeciras to Benalmedina. Wouldn't do it again especially after Algeciras it has now go so busy. It is reputed to be one of the busiest coast roads in Spain.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
nsew

Post by nsew »

This. Of the areas I know there are sections that are enjoyable and sections where you’re forced onto main roads. The cycling in Spain is in the interior. There are superb hard pack dirt road trails inland that can be followed forever. A helmet is required by law though I’ve crossed Spain four times without one, only twice being chased by the police - once on a busy motorway where they’d pulled a motorist over and didn’t take kindly to my flying by with a big “hola!” Had to scramble over railings and disappear into the bush. This is why you shouldn’t overload the bike. The other time was on another motorway (forced onto again) in the middle of the night, involved two cars and they obligingly put the bike and kit in one and myself in the other and drove me about 30km to where it was legal to cycle. Handshakes all round. No mention of the missing casco. Due to tourism the best places to visit in Spain are pretty much all inland. Wonderful country.

https://youtu.be/HDjRtWAa7Zs
Last edited by nsew on 2 Sep 2021, 9:23pm, edited 2 times in total.
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

I won't be camping and am not interested in inland mountainous routes as the weather will be chilling down and also I don't want to be caught out if there is a sudden lockdown.
Is it necessarily the case that all inland routes are mountainous and remote?
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Pretty nice cycling in andalucia inland that shouldn’t be too cold at that time of the year. We visited in January and it was pretty warm. I haven’t cycled andalucia though- only northern and western Spain and an amazing trip in Portugal. Admittedly have been snowed on in northern Spain (Picos) in June! I’d suck it and see- you can always divert by train to adapt to the weather and cycling conditions.
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Although a mountain man myself I understand where you are coming from

The Ebro delta is strangely interesting and quite alien

The hardcore roads around the Cabo de Gata are ok on a road bike but if you are carrying robust wheels & tyres may be a good idea. The roads and tracks to the north and west we found to be low on traffic

Cadiz is excellent certainly worth a visit. There are options to avoid the main road in from the south but it looks like locals use it anyway

Otherwise it seems that cyclists are accepted on promenades and a lot of the roads closest to the cost have been bypassed

Not for me but I can see why many would enjoy such a tour
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks for the replies.

The full plan is fly into Bordeaux, roughly follow Canal de Midi, but not the cycle path. Then down the coast south. The bit about mts was that the inland routes that cycletravel plot for eg Barcelona to Malaga are inland 'on top'.

I have cycled plenty of big hills, mainly in Asia
but also ridden the Camino which is across Spain with a few ups and downs.

For this trip I fancied doing a bit of coastal sightseeing. My thinking is that covid gives a unique chance to see it at its quietest. I do tend to think of myself as a tourist who travels by bike rather than a cycle tourist

Good point about getting a train if it gets too much - I'll try not to be too precious about cycling every inch.

I also like the look of Andalusia, which I could do on one of my other options of flying straight into Portugal and doing tours out from there.

Six weeks to think about it.

Any other thoughts on the coast welcome.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

If I had the good fortune to go there again I'd try and watch (and play) some pilota.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valencian_pilota

Our guest house was one of side of a street court. : - )

Jonathan
JJF

Post by JJF »

One Winter a few years ago I cycled NW from Barcelona. On the look out for somewhere to stay overnight, I went to one of the well known Costa Brava resorts. Can't remember which one. Wandering along the sea front lined with hotels, I passed numerous closed ones before finding one that was open. I'm sure the OP will be OK, but not surprisingly most places were shut.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

OK, you have all put me off this.

Just booked to go to Porto, for a gentle pedal through Portugal. I may venture into Andalucia if the fancy takes me.
horizon

Post by horizon »

simonhill wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 6:32pm OK, you have all put me off this.

Just booked to go to Porto, for a gentle pedal through Portugal. I may venture into Andalucia if the fancy takes me.
Shame, as I was about to heartily recommend it. I've cycled around Valencia from Sagunto, the whole coast from Alicante to Motril and also from Malaga back to Motril. All cycle campng. In fact, AFAIK, it is the only place in Spain where you can actually find a decent number of campsites. Though you won't be camping. . .

The best places are probably around Cabo de Gata and places like Aguilas but Valencia itself, Alicante and so on are all well worth the visit. The coasts are dramatic in a scenic sort of way and cafe stops numerous. And swimming is always to hand. You can also of course get to Granada without difficulty from the coast.

I would certainly do it again, with pleasure. I cycled a lot of it in late September (perfect weather) but also June and July. I had just flown back from Alicante, sans bike, in the January at the start of the pandemic and wished I had had my bike with me.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
northerncyclist

Post by northerncyclist »

I dont know if you are aware but if you go into Andalucia you cannot ride through Parque Nacional de Donana. You will likely need to go via Seville, Jerez de la Frontera and then Cadiz....worth doing though Cadiz is lovely and Seville has good cycling infrastructure. No worries about crowds I have just come back from a tour of Andalucia and there were very few tourist.
toadoftoadhall

Post by toadoftoadhall »

Would be interested in hearing about the Portugal ride. Hope to sail to Santander early next year, and cycle coastal way to to Santiago, then down to Porto, my favourite city. Then maybe cycle further south.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

simonhill wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 6:32pm Just booked to go to Porto, for a gentle pedal through Portugal.
I had an enjoyable ride in Portugal back in 2015, inland from Faro to Porto. Some lovely scenery and several sections where we saw no cars for hours on end. Happy to share more if you’d find it useful.

www.pedalportugal.com is a great resource for route suggestions and practical information.