Laptop On Tour - How/Practicalities

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Psamathe

Laptop On Tour - How/Practicalities

Post by Psamathe »

I've seen a few people post that they carry a laptop on tour. I've only taken an iPad which is very different beast (fits in bar bag).

What sort of laptops (e.g. SSD drive of spinning disk) and is that shock protected enough in a rear pannier?

So how do people carry/protect their laptops on tour? and what sort of laptops (older models seem to need a dedicated power supply = more weight & bulk whereas newer ones can be USB-C PD which allows greater flexibility.

Ian
mattsccm

Re: Laptop On Tour - How/Practicalities

Post by mattsccm »

The mind boggles. I don't take a mobile phone even.
Suspect its a small laptop, a vibe proof Hd and padded bag.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Trouble is padding makes the bulk even worse.

For travels in general I've been finding my iPad too limiting and too much work so thinking about laptop. And thus wondering about practicalities for touring.

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Can't see how a laptop has any more functionality than an iPad, except for a keyboard.

You can buy separate keyboards - could be worth a look.
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I stopped taking a laptop on tour a few years back and now bring my iPad mini. Yes the screen’s a bit small but twinned with a Bluetooth keyboard there isn’t much you can’t do.

As for laptops, assume that it’ll eventually stop working due to the trauma of being in panniers. One of mine went into the bag in pristine condition and came out that evening with a smashed screen. To make your money go further I’d recommend looking for a refurbished model as you won’t notice any surface damage after a few days of riding
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 8:49pm Can't see how a laptop has any more functionality than an iPad, except for a keyboard.

Some example problems I've had (my personal use) is developing photos the iPa does not give an accurate rendition meaning reprocess everything on return to UK. I use LrC for photo library/processing but on mobile (tablet/phone) only Lr is available and the import to LrC means going back to original raws meaning re-tagging, re-labelling, re-processing and takes an age. Anf if the image has not geotagged properly tagging from recorded tracks is a lot less reliable in different time zones. And for visiting complex sites memory of detail fades when trying to identify which temple ... iPad storage gets to limited on some trips meaning clearing things and caches off the iPad (which soon reload which means deciding what maps and music to start clearing off.

I'm trying to balance pros against cons (a balance that will be different for everybody).

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Laptop on tour? Think hard about the benefits, and how said benefits could be arrived at by other means. Back when I mulled over the issue, the only good reason to face up to the many disadvantages I could think of was the need to do a lot of writing - and even that could just as easily be achieved using pen & ink...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
scragend

Post by scragend »

simonhill wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 8:49pm Can't see how a laptop has any more functionality than an iPad, except for a keyboard.

More storage. Proper USB ports. Bigger screen.

Never had an iPad so I don't know how iOS compares to macOS for functionality, but I can run a lot more programs on my laptop than I can on an Android tablet.

I took my laptop touring recently. In a sleeve, in the inside pocket of a pannier nearest to the rack. No issues at all. I can't see how that would smash the screen.

Why did I take it? Because I needed to do some work while I was away. I don't have the luxury of being able to disappear and leave real life behind for weeks on end, as much as I would like to sometimes.
Syd

Post by Syd »

My (work) laptop travels with me on my commute to and from work and has done so for 4 years without ill effect.

In saying that when it’s the weekend, or I am on leave, it stays at home.

Re: photos. I edit all back at home and, for geotagging, I have a GOS datalogger hanging from the camera and use software to merge images and location.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Syd wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 9:20pm My (work) laptop travels with me on my commute to and from work and has done so for 4 years without ill effect.

In saying that when it’s the weekend, or I am on leave, it stays at home.

Re: photos. I edit all back at home and, for geotagging, I have a GOS datalogger hanging from the camera and use software to merge images and location.
I've had issues filling in missing geo-tags from recorded tracks when doing the re-tagging in a different time-zone. I suspect software issues but a difficult one to otivate Adobe to sort ot and I end-up having to do it manually. Maybe more grief 'cos my small camera is meant to use a BTLE link to my phone to use the phone GPS but it's unreliable in taht it goes through phases where it does not work properly. It can be done later but adds to the already significant work re-loading, re-keywording, re-labelling, re-processing, etc. Part of reason for thinking about this.

Pretty sure non-cycle travels will in future be with laptop but cycle touring is a bit more constrained (power, weight, bulk, robustness, etc.)

In Bolivia I spend a few weeks in one place with a cyclist and she had old clunky heavy laptop, large PSU, etc. plus full sized DSLR, lenses, etc. (the total weight she was carrying was staggering) (nb I was travelling not cycling).

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Another thought. Last year I bought a cheap 11" Chromebook to try out that operating system. It was a cheap one designed to be carried by students in backpacks, etc. It is 'armoured' with rubber edges and top. I wouldn't hesitate to carry in pannier (except I won't cos happy with a phone).

You could see if anything like this is available, but with higher spec.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 9:34pm Another thought. Last year I bought a cheap 11" Chromebook to try out that operating system. It was a cheap one designed to be carried by students in backpacks, etc. It is 'armoured' with rubber edges and top. I wouldn't hesitate to carry in pannier (except I won't cos happy with a phone).

You could see if anything like this is available, but with higher spec.
I think I'd need Windows of MacOS ("rejecting iPadOS and Android) to run Lightroom classic - photo handling/libraries being one of the main reasons for considering the switch.

I could certainly look at a low-end version of laptop (maybe 2nd hand/refurb.) but I'm thinking now long in advance of a potential trip. I did look some time back and low-end/low-price also equates to low storage. But a fast changing market.

Ian
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Psamathe wrote: 10 Sep 2021, 9:00pmdeveloping photos the iPa does not give an accurate rendition
The colour hue on my two laptops is completely different. When I was used to the old one I thought the new one was horrible, now I'm used to the new one the old one looks off.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Most commonly used first: for me it's iMac, MacBook (currently an Air), iPhone; for my wife it's iPad, iPhone, iMac.

For cycle touring we each take an iPhone and a Kindle.

But the MacBook is nearly always in my work bag when I'm not travelling by bike from home, and often in my rear pannier when I am. And that's on Oxford roads with Marathon Plus tyres. And it goes in the luggage when we're walking with luggage transfer. Neoprene sleeve in each case (!).

If I needed it when cycle touring I'd take it without any special concerns. And I agree about the desirability of a non-proprietary charging interface.

Jonathan
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

As a Chromebook user for several years liking the absence of frustrating Windoze the only things I miss are Photoshop and Lightroom. I have used Polarr, a sort of Chromebook alternative but it cant compete with the Adobe products. I save any photo editing for winter evenings. Chromebooks dont have spinning discs so are naturally a bit more shockproof.
Using a decent £100 Android phone with a biggish screen and long lasting battery I use my tablet less frequently and the Chromebook even less.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 11 Sep 2021, 8:07am, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......