Barmouth Bridge - Trigger's Broom getting its latest upgrade

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pwa

Barmouth Bridge - Trigger's Broom getting its latest upgrade

Post by pwa »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58517351

The Barmouth Bridge, which many of us know and love, is undergoing a phase of major works to ensure it remains functioning as a rail bridge and as part of our cycle network. A few years ago it looked in danger of being closed to cyclists and pedestrians but it now seems safe and secure.
Last edited by pwa on 2 Sep 2023, 9:11am, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Re: Trigger's Broom getting its latest upgrade

Post by Bonefishblues »

It's always an event to cross it. I have every confidence that the modern engineers will secure its future:

"As you can see from the photos, I hope our work will include a bit more hard hats and high-vis, and considerably fewer men hanging over the side with flat-caps and cigarettes dangling from their mouths."

...because hi-vis is being worn :D
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Just to throw another idea into the "mix".
The existing bridge is old.
It costs because of it's construction method a lot to repair and maintain.
The opening swing section hasn't opened for years and is in a shocking state of rusted neglect.

Maybe in this time of heavy plant and "cheap" dieael a new solid embankment should have been considered.
With a tidal flow leccy turbine at the open section.
So not a dam but low head generation.
That would not affect the ecology of the estuary.
Anyone who has stood on the bridge at turn of tide could not fail to be struck by the power of the flow.
The tidal difference is up to around 8 metres!
It's a lot of water in and out of the estuary twice a day.
And of course the river delivers vast amounts at times too.
Any thoughts?
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

This is an important one for those cycling Lon Las Cymru in coming days (and something I hadn't realised was about to happen when we cycled over the bridge on Wednesday). The only alternative would be to cross via the toll bridge at Penmaenpool then take the busy and narrow A496 for 5 miles until finally reaching Barmouth.

Given my recent experience of Lon Las Cymru, I'd probably skip the coastal section altogether as it's pretty unmemorable (compared with the rest of the ride) and take the 82 from Dolgellau to Porthmadog instead.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

During the first phase of the renovation, running from Sunday until 12 December, all the planks of the bridge's bed will be replaced with the same hardwoods and the entire length of track will be replaced.

In the second phase, running until 2023, the metallic spans will be replaced like-for-like and future-proofed against corrosion.
It's not clear from that whether access to cyclists and pedestrians will be affected or to what extent
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

My understanding is that there will be no access for cyclists or pedestrians. Sorry, I can't remember where I read this.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've found this, which refers in the waffle to three closures, but only lists two, when the bridge will be closed to trains, cyclists and pedestrians.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-t ... h-viaduct/

Sunday 12 September 2021 to Sunday 12 December 2021

Sunday 11 September 2022 to Sunday 11 December 2022

Perhaps a change of thread title would alert more would-be users.
pwa

Re: Barmouth Bridge - Trigger's Broom getting its latest upgrade.

Post by pwa »

A quick warning to anyone out that way in the coming weeks, the Barmouth Bridge is to be closed for 12 weeks for maintenance. This affects people on LLC, for example. From 2nd Sept.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-66687839
Andrew-l

Re: Barmouth Bridge - Trigger's Broom getting its latest upgrade

Post by Andrew-l »

Thanks! Just spotted this in time for us to replan the route of our LonLas ride in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone have any recommendations for alternative diversions from Dolgellau? I see the note above on taking route 82 but a quick look at the map suggests that heads off road, and we'll all be on skinny tyres.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Andrew-l wrote: 2 Sep 2023, 3:26pm Thanks! Just spotted this in time for us to replan the route of our LonLas ride in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone have any recommendations for alternative diversions from Dolgellau? I see the note above on taking route 82 but a quick look at the map suggests that heads off road, and we'll all be on skinny tyres.
Take the ferry?

http://www.fairbournerailway.com/locati ... ferry.html
pwa

Post by pwa »

Andrew-l wrote: 2 Sep 2023, 3:26pm Thanks! Just spotted this in time for us to replan the route of our LonLas ride in a couple of weeks.

Take the A496 to Penmaenpool for the toll bridge? A few miles on a main road, but I've cycled on worse.
Andrew-l

Post by Andrew-l »

Thanks for the tips - I've sent a message to the ferry to see if they're open, otherwise it looks like the main road!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Barmouth Bridge is now reopened and ready for use.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67663284
plancashire

Post by plancashire »

I remember when I lived in Aberystwyth in the 80's that shipworm was busy chewing through the timbers. Now it has some more food!
I am NOT a cyclist. I enjoy riding a bike for utility, commuting, fitness and touring on tout terrain Rohloff, Brompton M3 and Wester Ross 354 plus a Burley Travoy trailer.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

pwa wrote: 9 Dec 2023, 8:50am Barmouth Bridge is now reopened and ready for use.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67663284
From that BBC link
Just one of the newly fabricated spans weighed as much as a blue whale.
Anyway, thanks for keeping the thread up-to-date and with the amended title for those searching for information rather than wit. :D