Travelling without the Internet, possible?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Steve X

Travelling without the Internet, possible?

Post by Steve X »

The Internet seems to encroach on every aspect of life nowadays, and it is a superb tool when travelling. But is it even possible to travel without using the Internet nowadays, or has the Internet made it harder for people to travel "old style" as most organisations try and push us to use online methods.
mattheus

Re: Travelling without the Internet, possible?

Post by mattheus »

(I'll go first!)

Far from inpossible, but incredibly limiting.

The closest compromise (IMHO) is to use a smart phone approx once a day to make key bookings (or lookup timetables and the like). Then turn the thing off, and work with paper maps, cash and a smile the rest of the day :)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's only the traveller/ consumer not using the 'net, rather than the suppliers of transport, accommodation, food and drink etc?

And do you want to exclude mobile 'phones as well?

What sort of travelling where?

Thanks

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Yes, entirely possible, it's a choice, there's a master/slave relationship and you get to choose where you want to be on that spectrum.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

PH wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 8:17am Yes, entirely possible, it's a choice, there's a master/slave relationship and you get to choose where you want to be on that spectrum.
Agree entirely. I tend to be on tour for about a month a year. Entirely free from the internet. I roam at will with no advance bookings. Until recently I did not have even a basic mobile phone (a dumb phone used once a week to report in) because public phones were readily available.

I think some people have forgotten how to do this and must have everything planned, or available to be planned; and perhaps the younger tourists have never known a time without internet access to find them a hotel/restuarant/transport. How do I cope - I ask a local.

Each to their own, different folks with different ways. For me, I really have no worries about being digitally disconnected from facilities and friends --- at least until I get home.

edited to add - return ferry or flights, turn up at the dock/airport and go to the ticket desk. No need to book online.
Last edited by tatanab on 13 Sep 2021, 8:28am, edited 1 time in total.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Of course it's not required! It's rather like having a house, or a car, or owning more than two pairs of socks, it's a matter of choice. The great thing about a bike is you can travel (Nb. Though I've never travelled further than Italy on an inadvertent basis).
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

tatanab wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 8:25am I think some people have forgotten how to do this and must have everything planned, or available to be planned; and perhaps the younger tourists have never known a time without internet access to find them a hotel/restuarant/transport. How do I cope - I ask a local.
Bear in mind that your Local will very often look up your question on their smart phone!
Navrig

Post by Navrig »

It will be harder. Here is just one example.

In 1985 I Interrailed around Europe and ended up on some Greek islands. At that time the norm was that each ferry was met by people who had rooms to let. Tourists would approach them to ask what rooms were available and agree a price. Very few had anything booked ahead.

Today most tourists will have booked ahead online and there will not be lines of Greek ladies waiting on the ferries.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

So, do we have any control over our individual lives? Hmmm... have to think about that. P'robly not. Oh Dear.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Of course it is possible. Just as touring without gears is possible and (still) using a cotton tent and kapok sleeping bag. Most prefer to use the technology available to make their trip easier.

My first big cycle tour was 2 month camping in NZ in '91. Pre 'net days so all gear was researched using things like Cycle magazine and bought from Spa from their double page mag adverts. Ordered on phone, paid by cheque. Travelled to Saunders to see the actual tent (as opposed to black and white pic in the advert). Planned tour by guidebooks, tickets from Trailfinders by phone. Cash from debit card, so some modern tech available. Any bookings (occasional hostels, etc) done by phone. Detailed paper road maps given by NZ AA.

All this is still possible, but most would find it much easier with help from the 'net.

I have been travelling to far flung lands since 1980 and then I used my Mother as my LSU (logistical support unit). She would pay in cheques, renew library guide books, check my house for any bills, etc. Now I can do all this from at first an internet café, then my tablet, now my smartphone. Why wouldn't I. There is also the other aspect that you are becoming required to do things online. Phone lines unmanned, etc., only check-in online, etc

Sites like booking dot com and many other travel related sites are in English, so no problem trying to book a hotel, train, plane, etc when your local language skills are dodgy. Need I go on.

Finally, as I am often away for multi months, the i'net is the way I keep in contact with family and friends, etc. Never by phone, but email, etc., which keeps that 'remote' feeling. I am also able to run a group I am in as the e-Bagman (secretary) during the off season. Plus of course forums like this (definitely no social media).

Yes you can do without the internet, but I won't be.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Of course it is possible. Just as touring without gears is possible and (still) using a cotton tent and kapok sleeping bag. Most prefer to use the technology available to make their trip easier.
I think there;s a big difference: touring with 1 gear is no harder than it was 40 years ago. The monopoly of the internet has made things harder for those who don't/won't use t'internet.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I tour with .......
Large scale paper map of the area I'm in so I can decide where I'm going next.
Sat nav that I can plug the next days route into by hand.
Kindle.
If I cannot find a campsite at the end of a day then I'm happy wild camping.
The only time I need the internet is if I've run out of books to read on the kindle and want to download some new ones.
But I do try and tour off the grid, so electrical use is kept to a minimum.
Hence lack of most internet devices.

Luck ........... :D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I'm with the no book ahead, turn up and find what is available on arrival, assured my OH this was totally possible a few years ago when in Spain, but he still had to check his phone to find towns indicating they had a hotel. / guest house etc.... :lol:
Though admittedly it was useful when BA cancelled our return flight and we used the hotel internet to find a, why and b, get another booking.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

mattheus wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 11:34am The monopoly of the internet has made things harder for those who don't/won't use t'internet.
I agree. Using it can also give big cost benefits. BC (before Covid), I booked a hotel online and it was £20 a night. When I decided to stay a couple more days, I asked at the desk and they said it was £32 walk in rate. I booked online and got it at the £20 rate.

I think this is also a 'how long away from home' thing. I could happily be off grid for a couple of weeks, not so 2 or 3 months.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think a lot comes down to what aspects of cycle touring you enjoy. For example, I could (have the ability) to use a paper map to navigate each day ride but on the couple of occasions I have used maps it meant a lot more stopping, getting out map, etc. Quite possible but I enjoy cycling along watching countryside wildlife, villages, etc. so I use a GPS navigator.

I can arrive somewhere and start searching around for a campsite but I suspect it would take more time doing something I don't particularly enjoy. I'd prefer cycle straight to a campsite (though I don't book ahead except 1st tour I did tend to phone ahead to check they were open and likely to have space but only 1st tour). And I find plenty of other opportunities to chat to locals.

Is it a broader question or a question of degree? i.e. is it about using technology rather than using "the internet". So having Archies campsite listings pre-downloaded it technically not "using the internet" (whilst touring) but is maybe in the spirit of the question. Using pre-created routes might not be internet based (1 month of one tour I used daily routes created every day created locally by my GPS - no internet involved.

I do think the internet can help with aspects e.g. in South America I'd book somewhere at my destination (normally on overnight bus departure) meaning on arrival I can get a taxi there as you tend not to want to be wandering round many parts of some cities (at least not if you want to keep your gear and bank account).

My travelling (both cycle touring and travel) is without plan, each day deciding where tomorrow, no plan and the internet makes that easier and safer but not required. In my younger pre-internet days my travels were without internet though using printed Guides (e.g. South American Handbook) and it worked fine.

Ian