Travelling without the Internet, possible?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mattheus

Re: Travelling without the Internet, possible?

Post by mattheus »

Psamathe wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 1:50pm Is it a broader question or a question of degree? i.e. is it about using technology rather than using "the internet". So having Archies campsite listings pre-downloaded it technically not "using the internet" (whilst touring) but is maybe in the spirit of the question. Using pre-created routes might not be internet based (1 month of one tour I used daily routes created every day created locally by my GPS - no internet involved.
Good question - but if we leave it too vague, we will be recycling many many old threads! Dual-pivot brakes? Indexed gears? Clinchers? Clipless? Synthetics?? LED lights ...

I do think the mobile internet is a whole new step - neither good nor bad on the whole, but an interesting discussion. It's interesting because you get sucked into so many aspects at once (and there is the charging dependency ... ). Buying LED lights doesn't require you to have indexed gears ... etc ...

[I personally think GPS is a separate technology, as we could use it even without the invention of the web, http, 4G etc etc ... But even so, it's clearly possible to travel/cycle-tour without it if necessary!!]
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 11:34am
Of course it is possible. Just as touring without gears is possible and (still) using a cotton tent and kapok sleeping bag. Most prefer to use the technology available to make their trip easier.
I think there;s a big difference: touring with 1 gear is no harder than it was 40 years ago. The monopoly of the internet has made things harder for those who don't/won't use t'internet.
Except that ⅛" chain is now less available, thanks to all those dangle gear users wanting 3/32". The dominance of dangle gears has made things harder for those who don't/won't use danglers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Like others here I’ve done the traditional route plenty back in the day. Currently on tour using my smartphone so you can guess which side of the equation I’m on. I travel by myself quite often so I find staying in touch with the kids and husband via FaceTime nice (ok, it’s really the dog I FaceTime To talk to).

I’ve only got my smartphone and kindle. I’ve got an old school wired cycle computer. Using cycle.travel, google maps, booking dot com makes my life easier so I’m happy. Not going to force anyone else to do it but it works for me. Off to browse for a couple of new kindle books- if I can’t purchase here I’ll text one of the kids to buy it at home on my iPad and then download here. X

So I also use Facebook as a kind of diary of my travels (my poor friends!).
Steve X

Post by Steve X »

Thank you for all the interesting replies, which TBH echo my thoughts.
What I am aiming for is to use the Internet, but not be used by the internet, and not let the Internet spoil the serendipity and uncertianty of outcome of travel.
Thanks again for the replies.
Steve
ossie

Post by ossie »

Staying in touch with the family is my primary use of the Internet when touring. I've used it on the odd occasion to research and ring a camp site, likewise booking the ferry a day in advance however these weren't exactly necessities.

I've met folk however who totally rely on it for navigation and booking their nightly accommodation. Each to their own.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I take a non smart PAYGO phone to communicate and for the radio but I have my slightly smarter phone for emergencies such as locating something, finding a place for a repair or unplanned accommodation.no do sometimes download radio programmes before I leave so I can listen if I am somewhere with poor radio reception.

A good servant but a poor master.
John
horizon

Post by horizon »

I took the OP's question to mean travelling on a bicycle with a smart phone, that is, an internet enabled mobile phone.

For me it's a question of threshold. Once you're invested your time and energy in setting it up, getting accustomed to it and making sure it's available (i.e. charged) you can reap its benefits (though travelling, and especially camping, by bicycle has its own challenges that set the bar a bit higher IMV).

But if, like me, you fall down on the slope of adoption and adaption, the threshold isn't reached, it becomes easier to slip below it and the benefits disappear quickly. I found this out in France last year using my phone for the last leg of the day: I used it to find a campsite and to guide me on the last awkward bit down minor roads to the site itself. At that point the phone would lose the last of its charge.

Because the Google map experience isn't IMV great, this pushed me the next day (more or less) to find a newsagents, buy a map and use it not only for route finding but for locating the camping municipaux as well. I never looked back.

I still have fond memories of chatting to "locals". I also still have the memory of the frustrated Border Force officer trying to QR (whatever that is) my passenger locator form at Newhaven.

If the phone were working (usually a charge could be found on a campsite), I would text home. And even now I wonder if that is really for the best.

This summer, I've pre-booked sites on the internet at home. Since many were only half full, I doubt now that even that was necessary. So, yes, I took the phone, it stayed in my bar bag; I used paper maps and took a slim volume to read. Climbing up and over that threshold seems even more distant and difficult now. I still send a text. But I think I am (perhaps unsurprisingly) on the slippery slope downwards, back to the simpler, analogue world that I knew well. I feel that I'm connected in more and better ways with the world as a result - but that might just be a romantic notion.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I solved the low battery issue by upgrading my phone- I have an iPhone XR and it’s much improved on my previous ones (work pays £200 a year towards the cost).

I also have a power monkey battery bank- I rarely need it but it’s very good to have if you’re phone reliant.

That plus the kindle still weighs less or at least uses less space than a few maps and a nice big paperback. As I’m on my fourth book of this tour on the kindle plus it has the route guide I think it’s worth it’s weight!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Predictably, a lot of posts describing how they take the internet with them on tour!
SprokenBroke

Post by SprokenBroke »

If you are using the internet allot, how are you charging your gear? Front wheel dynamo?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

SprokenBroke wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 11:02pm If you are using the internet allot, how are you charging your gear? Front wheel dynamo?
I use a hub dynamo and a USB battery pack. Works very well.

But not much of the energy goes on 'net access: that's also powering the main lights, the 'phones (which act as cameras, audio devices, notebooks, diaries etc), the audio headbands, the books, and the navigation device.

Jonathan
Ron

Post by Ron »

I never planned tours in any detail and used to buy maps as I needed them from book shops or tourist info. offices but as more people have adopted electronic facilities there are fewer of these around and the ones that are left have a more limited range.
I rolled up at a campsite in Germany and wasted a lot of time after finding the reception desk was not staffed, there was just a phone number to call, but no phone there to make the call with! Eventually someone with a 'phone got me in contact with the camp chief who just would not believe that I had no mobile 'phone.
So, yes it is possible to tour without modern communication technology but it is becoming ever more difficult as the years go by.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Ron wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 11:54pm So, yes it is possible to tour without modern ... technology but it is becoming ever more difficult as the years go by.
In some ways, yes, though I don't think the smart phone has yet established itself as an absolute necessity for cycle travel. I'm sure we will soon start to hear from various travellers ditching the phone and telling us about their adventures (on the internet of course :wink: ). I think the word liberated may become common, if not over-used. I'm certainly thinking of giving it a try, just Mrs H to convince and freedom here I come!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

SprokenBroke wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 11:02pm If you are using the internet by allot, how are you charging your gear? Front wheel dynamo?
Most of the time I use the internet is in the evening when I am in a hotel room. My use during the day is fairly limited.

Even when not touring I don't use my phone much when out and about. The constant staring at the phone while walking along and updating social media every other minute isn't something I ever do.

One charge every evening is sufficient for me.

Using a phone or whatever for point to point (ie constantly on) navigation is a different matter as it's not really the internet.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I tend to use paper maps or route cards, enhanced by google maps (and the occasional search for something in the area where I am).

I could certainly get by on paper maps alone, and wild camping, or using the facilities I come across. I'd probably have a little more work to find camping places and cafes.

I would not like to do without a phone and camera, though.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom